Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

K2 Skyla Women's Snowboard

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I bought the K2 Skyla Women's Snowboard when I wanted to learn how to snowboard the steep Rocky Mountains in which I lived, but didn't have a clue as to how to do it! I had never even been on skis before, and suddenly I wanted to strap a piece of wood to my feet and fly down a hill! I went with the Skyla after the salesperson convinced me that it was the snowboard for beginners. It had a whole slew of features apparently for people who are just learning how to board, and would make my learning experience an easier and much more pleasant one. I was so happy to find that the salesman was right. The K2 Skyla really is the only snowboard for beginners!

The slim shape of the board, which I initially thought was just to give it a more feminine look, is actually designed to help female boots fit better on the board, giving you more control over it. And it's this narrow shape that also makes it easier to move on your board from edge to edge, something that is very difficult for awkward beginners like me to grasp! The other 'beginner's feature' that I really loved about this board was the deep sidecut. This allows you to make tiny errors and mistakes, and not go toppling down the hill. It seemed like all boarder techie-talk when I was in the store, but really did make a huge difference when I was on the slopes!

Something that I was told about before I bought my Skyla, but that I haven't found to make much of a difference yet, is that the board is much more flexible than other boards. This gives more bend to the tip and tail, and helps you take turns easier. I'm still learning and there are only a handful of turns I can make so I haven't really noticed this yet. But I'm sure as I become more comfortable on, and more familiar with, my Skyla, I'll start to notice the benefits of this flexibility.

I paid $325 for my K2 Skyla Snowboard. I'm extremely happy with that price, especially seeing as how I've seen snowboards priced at more than twice that, and this one really does seem to be specially suited to beginners. I'd recommend this board to anyone who's just learning the difference between regular and goofy.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews