Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Sunbeam 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Makers Model 6970-33

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I purchased the Sunbeam 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker after the other Sunbeam coffee I had suddenly stopped working one day. Because I had had that coffee machine for a long time and never had any problems with it, I was fairly confident in buying another Sunbeam. I was so pleased when I took this one out of the box and found that it had even more features than my last one!

The first thing I noticed about this coffee maker was that it was black. While this may seem like purely a matter of personal preference, it also helps keep the coffee machine looking cleaner. My last one had been white, and the tiniest splash of coffee or the smallest coffee grind looked horrible and was extremely noticeable. I was constantly wiping the entire machine down, just to make it look nicer sitting on my countertop.

The other feature I also loved about this Sunbeam coffee maker is the fact that it has viewer windows for the water level on both sides. So you can put it anywhere you want and you'll still be able to clearly see the level of water. No more compromising on where you put your coffee machine simply because you can't see the water level indicator from one particular side. And, another thing I noticed when the machine was fresh out of the box was that it has a convenient cord storage area so I no longer have to try and hide my cord all the time or work around it as I move my coffee machine around.

But not all the new features that I love so much about this coffee maker can be seen just by looking at the outside of it. Much of the real beauty of this machine can be found when you open the top and look inside. The first thing I noticed after I did this was that the water was fed from the water reservoir to the coffee grinds by a small shower head - yes, a shower head - that gently drizzles water down onto the grinds. But it doesn't shower the water down directly onto the grinds. First, the water is filtered through the replaceable filter that sits over top the coffee grinds. This filter makes sure that excess chlorine and other minerals from the water never make their way into the coffee grinds, making for much better tasting coffee! I actually didn't think my coffee would taste any better due to this extra filter but I was very surprised when it did!

As the name suggests, this coffee machine is programmable, and you can program it up to 24 hours ahead of time. So I can set my coffee machine at night and have a perfectly brewed pot of coffee waiting for me in the morning. But, what I don't like about this timer feature is that it's also the part of the machine that turns it off two hours after the pot of coffee is brewed. Because I drink a ton of coffee, and am more concerned about having it readily available to me than I am having fresh coffee, this is a real nuisance to me. But, it's also considered to be a safety issue and so, it's actually quite hard to find a coffee machine that won't turn itself off after a specified period of time.

The price for the Sunbeam 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is excellent, as most Sunbeam coffee makers are. I paid $29.99 for mine, and it even came with 25 paper filters and a coffee scoop!

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews