Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,604,457 times

Advertisements

2010 Ford Escape XLT

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

The 2010 Ford Escape XLT has many desirable features. With a 2.5 liter, six-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission, my 2010 Ford Escape XLT offers a smooth ride with higher gas mileage than previous years' SUV's (18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway). Offering Sync as an upgrade and Sirius radio free for six months, the technological upgrades place the Ford escape in a class of its own, when the technology works (see technology section). The sleek interior design also provides additional features like fold-flat rear seats, child seat safety harnesses, and a retractable and removable leather cargo cover.
In purchasing the 2010 Ford Escape XLT, I test drove both the four- and six-cylinder engine models. The four-cylinder engine lagged far behind the performance of the six-cylinder. Acceleration in the four-cylinder was non-existent, and I drove a 2001 Dodge Durango before this purchase. I was no stranger to slow acceleration. But the acceleration of the four-cylinder Ford challenged and lost to the acceleration of my much larger Dodge. Disappointed in the four-cylinder Ford Escape, I requested I test drive the six-cylinder. Acceleration in the six-cylinder was greatly improved, and knowing I could possibly be towing home improvement items in the near future, I upgraded to the six-cylinder.
Technological upgrades abound in the 2010 Ford Escape XLT. Sync is offered as an upgrade with the vehicle, and Sirius radio is standard for six months. Also worthy of mention is the USB port, offering options such as charging a cell phone or connecting a laptop easily. The USB port is a very hand feature, and Sirius radio is a great feature for continuous music and talk radio on long drives. However, Sync left a lot to be desired in my case. As I share the car with my husband, we have both of our cell phones synced. My husband's phone is set as primary, and his phone always works. My phone is set as secondary and never connects to Sync without a huge hassle. I have not used the Sync system more than twice in my 2010 Ford Escape XLT. When it does work, in my husband's case, it comes in very handy for hands-free cell phone conversations and streaming music from Pandora. When it does not work, in my case, it is a frustrating and undesirable feature.
Interior features include: fold-flat rear seats, child seat safety harness, and a retractable and removable leather cargo cover. All of the interior features work well and add value to the vehicle. The fold-flat rear seats are very handy. Folding flat in a matter of seconds, the cargo room is enough to haul most do-it-yourself home improvement items, including eight-foot trim, with the hatch closed. The child seat safety harness works well, tethering standard child seats to safety harness latches in the roof. A small feature that I find extremely useful is the retractable and removable leather cargo cover. When loading groceries into the Escape, the cover is very handy. It is heavy-duty enough to support my delicate groceries, like bread and eggs, keeping them safe from being crushed, and this small feature is one of my favorites.
Overall, the 2010 Ford Escape XLT offers excellent features. However, the execution of Sync for a secondary driver/phone leaves a lot to be desired in my case, and I rate the 2010 Ford Escape XLT a 3 out of 5.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews