Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

I have bought Hanes briefs for many years, but the quality has gone downhill. It use to hold me in place and now I have to wear long tee shirts because I cannot trust Hanes to hide my package. It's embarrassing in the men's locker room to have full exposure when you are not counting on it! It is one thing to go without underwear; it is totally different to think you are wearing briefs to find out you are not!

Hanes; do a better job and don't let the horse come out to play! By the way; Hanes is not the only company that is having these issues today. I am picking on them because I have been a loyal customer for many, many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Are you buying them at Walmart? Hanes products at walmart are made for Walmart only, and they're cheap and flimsy.

Next time, buy them at the mall or Academy if you're buying at Walmart.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you buying them at Walmart? Hanes products at walmart are made for Walmart only, and they're cheap and flimsy.

I doubt this !

Why would Hanes risk their reputation by making an inferior product just for Walmart ?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,610 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I doubt this !

Why would Hanes risk their reputation by making an inferior product just for Walmart ?
There are many companies who do this - make a line that looks IDENTICAL to what is offered in other stores, but is more cheaply made for Walmart. One tech company - I believe it's Sony - actually puts a "W" in their product number for TVs.

A couple years ago I was in charge of buying clothing for a children's charity service, and stopped buying Hanes at Walmart and went on to fruit of the loom, which runs a little smaller but doesn't fall apart when you wash it the first time.

Car batteries sold at Walmart are also cheaper than if you buy them at a car repair place or Firestone, for example.

Edited to add:

Interestingly, I found his exact complaint on the Walmart site - that the it hangs low and baggy where the customer had been buying that brand for years. I don't know if the Hanes products sold elsewhere have the same observations of poor quality:

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/9251554

Old 07-07-2017, 01:36 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
This is absolutely true!

Especially the part where the manufacturers will add a "W" to the part number.

I've seen this many times.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Hanes used to have alot of factories in Puerto Rico. After NAFTA came along Hanes deserted PR and the last briefs i purchased in Vietnam. Definitely a different feel in the material.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Actually I have bought them from several stores - yes some have come form Walmart; but not all. It isn't the craftsmanship; it's an engineering problem. I don't think that my body has changed that much in the last fifty + years; I am now seventy. Sometimes I wished my body would change; but that doesn't make it so!

This is more of a recent problem; possibly the last two or three years.

I do appreciate your information and I am glad to know that I am not alone.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,077 times
Been wearing Jockey underwear for decades. Been purchasing it from a regional department store when on sale. Increasingly disappointed past few years.

Now purchase direct from Jockey. I just wait for the 50% off sale. I like the fact I get better sizing descriptions on their website. And I do feel quality is more consistent.

https://www.jockey.com

Old 03-09-2018, 01:06 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,077 times
Just want to add to my above post.

After purchasing direct from Jockey I started doing the same with Gold Toe. Gold Toe also runs some great sales.

Both had a great sale right before Christmas. I think it also included free shipping. You have to sign up for both of their emails.

I do buy plain white products. Nothing fancy. Multi-pac.

https://www.goldtoe.com/shop/mens/socks/

Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Just want to add to my above post.

After purchasing direct from Jockey I started doing the same with Gold Toe. Gold Toe also runs some great sales.

Both had a great sale right before Christmas. I think it also included free shipping. You have to sign up for both of their emails.

I do buy plain white products. Nothing fancy. Multi-pac.

https://www.goldtoe.com/shop/mens/socks/
I liked to shop at Gold Toe; but I think they all went out of business: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Gold-Toe/reviews. My store in the Tannersville mall just shut down and I was told by adjacent store owners that they shut down all retail stores. My heel are all getting worn out; I am going to have to look elsewhere!

I actually switched to Lee briefs. They have a lot better construction and everything seems to stay where it is supposed to stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews