Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 12:24 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,370,618 times

Advertisements

(this occurred to me when I was reading the he/she topic in Current Events):

There was a person I'll call 'Susan' (not her real name). One of the many strange things about Susan was she got quite ticked off when anyone referred to her without using her actual name- including if she overheard someone mentioning her to someone else. You could never say 'she' or 'her,' or she'd throw a tantrum.

Example: if she overheard you say "I went to Susan's house, but she wasn't there, so I left a message with her mother," she'd insist you repeat it as "I went to Susan's house, but Susan wasn't there, so I left a message with Susan's mother."

This oddity from years ago just occurred to me- is there a word/term/description for this kinda thing?
'Susan' wasn't a child- she was in her early twenties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,277,270 times
Susan would probably pitch a fit if someone referred to her as "Sue" or "Susan."

Had a bud whose mom would get upset if her kid referred to her as "she" or "her" -- instead of "mom" -- in anger.

Example:
Dad asks, "Did you get the things at the store like we asked you?"

Kid who just had a tearful spat with mom replies, "I gave the package to her."

Mom goes through the roof, "HER!"

Me, giggling and snickering. At that point his mom tells me, "Jack, you can leave,"

Last edited by Calvert Hall '62; 10-03-2015 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology