Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,219,984 times

Advertisements

Let's twist this question around for discussion. Do you feel that other people should care what you think?

For example have you criticized someone for their taste in clothing or music or whatever else it would be. Should they care what you think or do what they want even if you don't agree with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM

993 posts, read 1,562,750 times
Well, it's just plain arrogant and shows an embarrassing lack of self awareness to not care AT ALL what people think of you. I like how, after the title question, "sociopaths" is the first word in quotations because that is exactly what a complete and blatant disregard of others' thoughts and opinions is a symptom of.

Knowing what to receive as constructive criticism and what to disregard as a matter of incompatible personal preferences and ideals, however, is a great skill to have.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
Why???

WHO CARES WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS!!!!!!!!!

If they dont like you as you are,forget em!!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,219,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ok , so you dont care what some people think of you , the question is whether you think they should in turn value your opinion

many fiercely independant people are quick to declare how little they care about most peoples opinion , while at the same time believing that everyone should take their own opinion extremley seriously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Let's twist this question around for discussion. Do you feel that other people should care what you think?

For example have you criticized someone for their taste in clothing or music or whatever else it would be. Should they care what you think or do what they want even if you don't agree with it?
Bob it seems that people are conveniently side stepping our two comments.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 AM

318 posts, read 626,783 times
I used to be a real crybaby when I was a little kid and would literally burst out into tears when people called me mean to my face or whatever. I still suffered from peer pressure when I was in my early teens but now as an 18 year old, I've stopped caring about what my peers think of me.

I couldn't care less if random people called me a b*tch or ugly, but admittedly, I do seek the the approval of my friends and family because at times, acknowledging what your friends/family expect, helps allow the relationships to keep thriving IMO. And of course, acknowledging what your boss expects of you etc. is necessary.

The only thing that confuses me is when people have to get other people's approval for stupid and unnecessary things. I remember my 14 year old cousin was preparing to go out and she was pondering about to wear shorts or jeans, and she decided on wearing shorts even though she was cold because everybody else was wearing shorts.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
Yeah..... Peer pressure sucks...... I WASNT EVER AFFECTED BY THAT...... Yes I was made fun of but I DIDNT CARE AND STILL DONT..... I have my own mind,my own way of thinking and for that Im grateful

Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,984,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yeah..... Peer pressure sucks...... I WASNT EVER AFFECTED BY THAT...... Yes I was made fun of but I DIDNT CARE AND STILL DONT..... I have my own mind,my own way of thinking and for that Im grateful
Why are you typing in caps? You sound emotional about this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Sometimes it seems to me that people who "don't give a rats ass what other people thing" put a lot of energy into making damn sure that everybody KNOWS they don't care what they think. Then I wonder... if they are going to so much trouble to let people know this, then doesn't that mean they actually DO care??
I agree. I think we all care about what others think more than what we would like to and that causes a lot of cognitive dissonance.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM

757 posts, read 1,026,121 times
I think those who lack self-confidence tend to pay a great deal of attention on what others think of them. They also tend to fear a lot of how they would be judged by others. It is really unfortunate that some people should live their lives in the eyes of their peers, even worst strangers. Public opinions in that regards really shouldn’t matter to anyone. It is a complete waste of one’s energy.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,435 times
We are social creatures, it must be part of our survival mechanism (ie. shunning = loss of cooperative food gathering, child rearing, safety). It starts so early, in grade school. A mature, reflective mind can overcome this instinct.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
I care what my wife and kids think. I care what my parents think, my siblings and their kids. My dad is struggling with Alzheimer's so I care what his caregivers think. I care what my closest friends think. There are many professors I've had in school, who I am close to. I care what they think. There are certain colleagues who I have come to respect, who respect me. I care what they think. There are certain musicians who I have played with, who I am close to and respect. I care what they think. There are good people in this world, people who are open and inclusive. They are not bigoted and strive for all that is high and noble. Integrity, character, substance, honor, respect, self-respect, the embrace of high academic achievement, all come to mind when I think of them. I care what they think. I care what kids think, what the elderly think, and what veterans think. I respect women and care what they think. I listen to those who have been historically disadvantaged. I care what they think. I listen to anyone who is mentally ill or emotionally-damaged in some way. I care what they think. I care what our current President thinks, since I have the utmost respect for his abilities and the difficult road he has traveled to get accomplish as much as he has. Above all, I care most about what I think.

Other than this, I don't care what other people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology