Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM

152 posts, read 493,433 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old, but I've always felt old. The only time I don't is at work because I'm always the youngest. My mom says that I was born old and always hung out with people older than myself. My friends are for the most part at least 3 years older than I am and they're at different points in their lives them I am and so sometimes I feel like I need to catch up even though logically speaking I am younger than them and so there is not need to catch up to there level, I still have time. I was wondering if anyone else has these feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM

310 posts, read 1,025,136 times
I've always felt that way as well. I've never been inclined to hang out with people my age (20's), I've generally never found friendship in my age group. I do not do the things which characterize my age. Even when I was just a boy, I always was around adults. Maybe that is why.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
now that you're getting older, you'll discover that age matters less and less. if i saw a 23 and a 26 year old hanging out, i would have no idea who was older anyways. i honestly don't know the ages of most of my close friends. i know they are in their 30s.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I was an only child, and while I had friends, I really enjoyed the company of my parents friends. I liked adults. I thought they were more interesting. When I was 17 I came down with a bad sickness which hung on for seven years, and as an adult, I tend to enjoy those about seven years younger than me. I like people my own age, but its as if those seven years were just wiped away and never existed. I barely remember much of what happened anymore.

Reaching 'authentic' senior status soon "government reconing" I find I enjoy people of all ages who are intelligent and think with their mind. And somehow inside me I'm still fifteen. The people I don't find of any interest are those who are solidly convinced of the rules and couldn't climb out of the box if their life depended on it. Most 'older' people are interesting too, but the ones who've already checked out and quit living aren't. Live to you die is my motto. Came close twice and know better already.

And next life, the questions I was born with unanswered have found them so it will be one of much greater peace.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM

152 posts, read 493,433 times
I'm the oldest child. My mom said I always asked a lot of questions and was very curious...maybe that's why I was always more mature than my age.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Yes I have felt that way too. I read that if you are a first born kid then you are more likely to have friends of different age groups. First borns are the ones most attached to their parents & also given responsibility to look out for their younger siblings so I guess they are more comfortable in that roles. They learn from their elders, try to impress them & pose as role models for the young.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I've often been told I seem very mature and old for my age, mostly because I like to have actual conversations that revolve around topics, have a wisdom/perspective (so they tell me, I know I have a way to go) 'beyond my years.' I too, often seem to get a long better with older people. On the other hand part of me still feels like a 10 year old, so it evens out!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I'm 32 and I've never felt younger in my life. I recently moved from the West Coast to the East Coast and have had to make a whole new circle of friends. One gentlemen with whom I've spent a lot of time is old enough to be my dad. I have an awesome dad, though so I'm not looking for a father figure. I simply make friends with people who have common interests as I do. Age doesn't matter. Relationships and friendships are based on more meaningful qualities. What those qualities are varies by person of course.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
NO, I am sorry, I have the opposite problem. I am almost 50 and I feel like I am just out of college. I go out and play wootball or soccerr with my 9 and 12 year old and my body aches afterwards, I just blame it on being non-athletic (Always have been) and move on. Last weekend we went to a soccer game and before the match they had a kids skills area set up. Since my kid had no one there to play with, (it was not crowded) I did the drills against him (but I let him win so he would have more fun)
I flirt with 20 something women when I have the cahnce, I frequent places where younger people congregate and I do not fit in with people my age. Many of them are grandparents and I cannot relate.
I do not feel old, I keep my hair dyed so I do nto look old and my wife says that I sure as shoot do not act old.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
I'm in the same boat. In high school, I acted like I was beyond my college years (acting like I was in my 30's, when I was only 16). I was a very wise person at a young age and didn't do what anyone else my age was doing... ever. Now at 27 though, I actually feel my age... at the age where I have to make some serious decisions for the future. Do I want to have a child? I feel like I need to make the decision with in the next 3 years. What career do I want? I need to try and get that settled and into a more stable job within the next 2 years. And so on.

On some days, i wish I could just skip it all, everything, and wake up one day at 60 years old, with grandchildren, being retired, being financially stable, perhaps still married (if my husband lives that long), and just enjoying the good 'ol days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology