Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 PM

161 posts, read 304,510 times

Advertisements

It's unbelievable. Wherever I go people always have them shoved in their faces. I go out to dinner with my family the next family over has their cell phones out and are looking into them. And every other commercial I see is a cell phone commercial. I see people texting and driving which is totally unacceptable because you're risking your life doing that. Cell phones are fine when you need them to talk. I don't understand why you need to text, go on the internet, use games on it when you're out doing things. Not sure the answers I am going to get because I am asking this in the technology section. Why are people so addicted? Why don't they understand they have a problem? Btw I am not hating on cell phones. I just want to know why people use them as much as they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
I think it's because people get bored very easily. They have a hard time being alone and with their own thoughts, or just being quiet. They need a distraction to keep their mind engaged, and these devices provide it. The smartphone is like a pacifier that works against aloneness. That's why we are told to "Stay connected... stay in touch."

And the people sitting in the restaurant..... with the options available on the smart phones, they can turn to something more interesting and entertaining than 'just facing each other and engaging in conversation.' We are becoming conditioned to that.

Last edited by nezlie; 09-07-2012 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: added last sentence.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
The same reason people have to stare at a television screen. The same reason people will walk into a quiet house and flip on the television, even if they're not actually going to be watching. It's the need for 24/7 stimulation.

Hey, I love my iPhone. I work for myself and have to remain available to my clients during business hours and occasionally beyond, for my line of work involves hair-raising deadlines. But I turn it off during meetings, lunch and dinner. After I finish the aforementioned meeting, lunch, or dinner, I'll check my e-mail.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Seems to me the "addiction" level varies--from using them as a tool and being completely addicted.

I know one woman who brings hers to the breakfast table for our weekly get-togethers and can barely converse without it in her hands. Should the topic of conversation veer toward an unknown fact, she's so very eager and happy to search Google there and then to nail down the fact. And she has to check her messages every minute or so. She's retired, so it's not a pressing business matter or family crisis.

It's intrusive, her need to be connected to her smart phone every moment--as though human contact with her group is secondary to her appliance connection. Kind of sad, really. She needs phone-enders, or Smart Phone Anonymous.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
This is the reason why I don't want one!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 PM

161 posts, read 304,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is the reason why I don't want one!
Hehe. I don't want one either. I guess were both normal.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Instant gratification?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
they might be trading stocks or checking the latest news or weather or even reading this thread on CD.

Basically, it's their mobile internet access.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I find a smart phone a good way to keep occupied when I have a spare moment at the doctors office and I'm checking my bank balance online or just sending a quick text reminder to my hubby to pick something up on the way home. I have no skill in talking/texting/driving at the same time and it's just too dangerous.
Playing a game like Words with Friends has replaced taking a word search puzzle to a waiting room to pass time. It saves space too. I do see some folks that are spending too much time on their phones that they are missing the moments right in front of them.
In society, there is always something that people can become addicted to. It becomes a problem when it overwhelms their life and are paralyzed without said item.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
They exploit the narcissist feelings people have; everyone wants to be popular and important.

I also think more people have some form of ADD now days; people seem not to be able to stay focused on one item. Example, I went to the zoo and I do not think there was a single kid interested in the animals, just all the water spray stuff to play in; and maybe half of the adults were interested, the rest just took the monorail around and left, or whizzed by on these little cycle cart things for people to ride on not even stopping. It was great for me, less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology