Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,180 times

Advertisements

I just saw this and found it fascinating. Enjoy.

"Can infants tell right from wrong? And if so, how would you know? Come to Yale's baby lab."

Video:
Born good? Babies help unlock the origins of morality - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Article:
Babies help unlock the origins of morality - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 AM

652 posts, read 874,509 times
Steven Pinker wrote the book "The Blank Slate" stating basically we are all born with a blank slate from birth. John B. Watson believed he could turn any healthy child into whatever he wanted in life. Alfred Adler spoke of the inferiority complex. Abraham Maslow spoke of the hierarchy of needs.

In a world filled with evil, there are many who have done the worst to humanity. They want to prove they were born good. Behind every sick man is a sick mother. Behind every sick woman is an absent father. The concept of parents is a thing of the past when so many abandon their children in this world.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,377 times
Good and Bad are subjective terms. The article indicated the babies also exhibit bias and want those that don't conform to their bias punished.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,898 times
I saw it too, but to me it is in the interpretation. How do the scientists know that they were rewarding the toy for punishing the bad one? What if the babies just like the action of slamming the box shut? It was more exciting and louder.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
Good and Bad are subjective terms. The article indicated the babies also exhibit bias and want those that don't conform to their bias punished.
You're right. When watching the babies, while I agreed with the majority of the conclusions made (and wanted more information about some of the conclusions), I didn't necessarily agree (based only on what was shown) that the babies wanted those with whom they had bias towards to be punished.

What I saw was the possibility that they tended towards those like themselves, even if they didn't always agree with all of their behaviors. While I think the study did a great job exploring a topic that is challenging to address for obvious reasons, I would have liked to have seen that possibility explored. Perhaps that will be done in the next phase. It will be interesting to continue to follow this study.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I saw it too, but to me it is in the interpretation. How do the scientists know that they were rewarding the toy for punishing the bad one? What if the babies just like the action of slamming the box shut? It was more exciting and louder.
I had the same thought. In the beginning, when the baby picked the stuffed animal that was helpful vs. not helpful, that bang of the box lid was quite loud, and I thought a possibility was that they disliked the non-helpful stuffed animal because the loud box lid startled the babies.

Even though something like 80% (can't recall the exact number without referencing back) picked the helpful stuffed animal, I would be curious to learn how many of those scenarios the box lid was loud vs. quiet.

While I still have a lot of questions that can't be answered in a tiny TV clip, I would hope a more in-depth look at the study would give those answers and I still think that they are using creative methods to answer a difficult question.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I dunno.
Babies (at least my baby), like dogs, are brilliant at picking up cues from your voice and body language.
It would be hard to prove these tests weren't biased in one way or another.
Extrapolating liking the least threatening person to a 'basis for morality' is also a stretch.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 AM

I don't think the study comes close to proving that we are born with a tendency to do what is right.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't think the study comes close to proving that we are born with a tendency to do what is right.
How would you have changed the study?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
How would you have changed the study?
I don't know that I would have done the study. Babies can be swayed by a smile, wide eyes, a tone of voice, and wanting to please. For instance, there have been studies that show babies are attracted to blondes. Why would that be? Is it the light surrounding their heads? I mean how do we know how to interpret behavior that can't be articulated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology