Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times

Advertisements

I'm shaking my head at the people in this thread laughing at the OP, treating him like he's ungrateful, or giving him a guilt-trip simply because Grandpa's older and is going to die someday. We're ALL going to die. And if in fact Grandpa's doing this on purpose, and the OP dies, Grandpa will probably feel guilty for using Christmas to bring him down.

You're right. It sounds odd. Especially since it sounds as if it happens to no one else but you. It's totally not appropriate, it's completely offending you, he's done it a few years running, and other relatives are noticing.

I think you should have one of your relatives who agrees with you pull Grandpa aside and have this conversation. Have the person say, "You know what Grandpa? I know gift-giving isn't your thing, but maybe you could give BluBlu some more age-appropriate gifts. You do realize he's over 30? I know of some things he'd really be into."

The relative should work it around, find the right words, so that it comes across polite and helpful as opposed to confrontational... but really strive to get the point across too, so Grandpa gets the memo.

If he continues doing it after that, then he's honestly just being a jerk and a weirdo.
If it's unfortunate enough to come to that, then you shouldn't even worry about it from now on.

And if you were truly that upset to the point of wanting to shed a tear last year, I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't have noticed that look on your face. Some people use gift-giving occasions to be passive-aggressive, unfortunately. A psychological thing, I guess. Well, I say two can play that game. Start buying some some stuffed animals or cheap party gifts from the dollar store that obviously required no thought.

Hopefully getting a relative to bring it up to him will work though.

Last edited by MSPLove; 12-21-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Where is your sense of humor?

It's funny - enjoy the laugh and move on.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Where is your sense of humor?

It's funny - enjoy the laugh and move on.
Put yourself in his position. Now laugh.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
Am I retarded or something?
I don't know.

But I have worked in the developmentally disability field for many years and many people find your sue of the word 'retarded' offensive.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
My Grandmother had Alzheimer's before she passed. (I really wasn't too close to her and only saw her a few times in my life)

When I was in my 20's she thought I was still 7-8 years old.

So I got a lot of kid-like gifts from her throughout the years.

We all kinda shook our heads when they came in the mail.

In fact, for the most part, I don't care what I get; just as long I have family to share the holidays with and the time off from work!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
How about you or another family member suggest a store where he can get you a gift certificate. Tell him you'd like a gift certificate for store (X) because there's something that you'd REALLY like to buy.

Grandpa would probably be relieved that he doesn't have to wander around any more stores trying to figure out what to buy you.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Tell Grandpa that you appreciate the thought. But also let him know that he should save the money and use it for his retirement, that you would prefer a card and a current photo of him.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
old people are brutally honest, maybe it's the rest of your family that you should be having a heart-to-heart with on why they are avoiding dealing with your condition.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
How about you or another family member suggest a store where he can get you a gift certificate. Tell him you'd like a gift certificate for store (X) because there's something that you'd REALLY like to buy.

Grandpa would probably be relieved that he doesn't have to wander around any more stores trying to figure out what to buy you.
That sounds like a good idea.

He probably bought the dog because it was a gift that would make you laugh. Lots of people have cute "toys" and stuffed animals in their cubicals or offices.

My 25 year old daughter was just on the phone talking about their secret Santa gift exchange at work. She bought a Nerf gun that shoots soft foam discs for the 20 something year old man. She said that all the guys (mostly early to mid 20s) kept playing with the toy during the party and everyone loved it. It probably is labeled and sold as "ages 6 and up".

Men, in general, are terrible at buying presents.

For my 24th birthday my fiance bought me a box of 64 crayons.

Sometimes, it really is "the thought that counts".

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Tell Grandpa that you appreciate the thought. But also let him know that he should save the money and use it for his retirement, that you would prefer a card and a current photo of him.
Ooh yeah!
This is good.
Perfect phony way to pretend like he cares and eliminate the whole gift-receiving situation altogether. I like that a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology