Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I literally don't feel comfortable in my own skin. There's something about the vulnerability and fragility of flesh, the way the body feels pain, whether physical or emotional, and the fact our biological matter seems coarse and dirty at times. I suppose it's like a gnostic or templar belief that matter is evil and spirit is good. Of course there are bodily pleasures, but I feel i can never be 'pure' when stuck in this body, and I hate being judged on my body. I wouldn't say I'd take on a robot body if given the choice, but do you feel a sort of dissonance between your mental 'you' and the body you feel 'contained' in? Do you find the idea you are your body depressing? And that all that generates these noble ideas, the heights of elation, is a clump of goop between your ears? Isn't the idea that this very same brain will rot/become worm food after you die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
I don't know if the following applies or not? And I don't know if it is anything to be overly concerned about, maybe no big deal if it does not bother you...

Depersonalization disorder - MayoClinic.com

Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,040,975 times
What are you talking about!!! We are not flesh, WE ARE HUMAN!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Sometimes I literally don't feel comfortable in my own skin. There's something about the vulnerability and fragility of flesh, the way the body feels pain, whether physical or emotional, and the fact our biological matter seems coarse and dirty at times. I suppose it's like a gnostic or templar belief that matter is evil and spirit is good.
Corporeality is a downer, but what's the alternative ?
Since my view is that "matter" is required in order to provide a staging area (supporting structure that generates "awareness" of being) for the theoretical powers of mind (in your words, "spirit"), then the two realms are inextricably connected.
You can have body without mind, but you can't have mind without body-alas.
I struggle with the disjuncture OP describes, though-the visceral properties of the body can seem so limiting & bothersome, compared to the infinite possibilities the "mind" can conceptualize/entertain/conceive of.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
Sounds like you need to get some cybernetic upgrades .

Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Corporeality is a downer, but what's the alternative ?
Since my view is that "matter" is required in order to provide a staging area (supporting structure that generates "awareness" of being) for the theoretical powers of mind (in your words, "spirit"), then the two realms are inextricably connected.
You can have body without mind, but you can't have mind without body-alas.
I struggle with the disjuncture OP describes, though-the visceral properties of the body can seem so limiting & bothersome, compared to the infinite possibilities the "mind" can conceptualize/entertain/conceive of.
You're right. A body is a necessary vehicle to experience the world. Consciousness without sense organs - wonder how that would work. I wonder if someone born blind and deaf ever develops consciousness?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Sometimes I literally don't feel comfortable in my own skin. There's something about the vulnerability and fragility of flesh, the way the body feels pain, whether physical or emotional, and the fact our biological matter seems coarse and dirty at times. I suppose it's like a gnostic or templar belief that matter is evil and spirit is good. Of course there are bodily pleasures, but I feel i can never be 'pure' when stuck in this body, and I hate being judged on my body. I wouldn't say I'd take on a robot body if given the choice, but do you feel a sort of dissonance between your mental 'you' and the body you feel 'contained' in? Do you find the idea you are your body depressing? And that all that generates these noble ideas, the heights of elation, is a clump of goop between your ears? Isn't the idea that this very same brain will rot/become worm food after you die?

Very well!! At least, some of the original Self - knowledge stayed with you. That's why you feel the way you feel.
So what's next? There's still reason why you are here, on the physical plane of the physical world. Should you have been done with your dharma, you wouldn't be samsara-ing anymore and staying in physical body.
So, you can hate it, or you can work your dharma out and rid of it.

Your call.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Quote:
You're right. A body is a necessary vehicle to experience the world. Consciousness without sense organs - wonder how that would work. I wonder if someone born blind and deaf ever develops consciousness?
If you think about it, there are more senses than those you note-
there are exteroceptive senses, with which we perceive the environment (from without)-and there are interoceptive senses by which we experience our own bodies (from within).
Smell (olfactory), touch (tactile), taste (gustatory), as well as vestibular and proprioceptive senses (not merely sight & sound).

Perhaps the larger question (may be outside this thread's topic, though) is about how an external person ascertains that another person is "conscious", if that is unable to be communicated as such via "language" (which seems heavily dependent upon sight & sound)...at least for humans
If a tree falls in a forest & nobody hears..., if a person is conscious but no one else knows it...makes one wonder.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
Quote:
I don't know if I believe in that. energy cannot be destroyed so we are not technically our body. it is depressing though that the body is so fragile and we cannot experience the world without it.
I don't know what that has to do with not being comfortable with your own skin though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology