Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these would you say you generally fear more?
Not having control/loss of control 19 86.36%
Being excluded 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times

Advertisements

I've come to think that much, if not most, of people's behavior is governed by their latent, underlying fears, so I'm very interested in your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Do you have control? Are you included in the social groups of your choice just because you want to be? Get real. You have limited amount of control and you are excluded by the overwhelming majority of people. You can fear something uncertain that may happen. Having no control and being excluded is something you should live with every day.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I am so confused by ^^^^ that response.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Off the top of my head, I can't think of where I would "fear" either?

Depends on the specific situation...

Recently I trained a young person to drive and I wanted "total control" of being able to stop when I yelled STOP! So that was one of the first things we practiced in an empty parking lot. The kid would drive along, then I would yell STOP! At first he took a while to respond, but with practice he could stop almost instantly.

Later driving in traffic, that kept one person from being run over by him and avoided a couple of accidents. Also at later points in his life, someone else might be riding with him and see something he does not - then yell stop. So good to train him to react to that.

But when I an the passenger with any other experienced driver, I have no need to be in control. Also that kid is now a good driver, so I don't pay very much attention to what he is doing anymore (when riding with him).

I also work with dangerous power equipment (like chainsaws) and sometimes have young and dumb helpers. When they first start working with this equipment, I insist they follow all safety rules and be able to stop what they are about to do if I wave at them or yell stop. I want TOTAL control of that situation. But with experienced workers, I don't even watch what they are doing.

Or driving my car I want to be in control. If the steering wheel came off (like in cartoons), I would freak! And I don't particularly like it if I am driving along, hit a patch of ice, then the car starts sliding off the road!

So far as being excluded from a social group, I could care less. I'm not a "follower / sheep" and can think on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology