Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM

650 posts, read 702,117 times

Advertisements

Something was very attractive about older women the way they used to look when I was a kid.

Then came hairdye, make-up, botox, plastic surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I think that between looking like the monstrosity that Joan Rivers has become and just letting it go, hair going gray, doing nothing at all there are all kinds of little fine tune ups that people can do to look good. I see nothing wrong with it. When porch on your sixty year old house begins to sag and the paint starts to chip, you do a little maintenance and upkeep.

People just need to be comfortable in their own skin. To me that is growing old gracefully. Hot just letting everything go to pot. When I'm in my 60s I might do something. I tried Botox once before a wedding and it did look good. I've always cared for myself. Why stop now?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think that between looking like the monstrosity that Joan Rivers has become and just letting it go, hair going gray, doing nothing at all there are all kinds of little fine tune ups that people can do to look good. I see nothing wrong with it. When porch on your sixty year old house begins to sag and the paint starts to chip, you do a little maintenance and upkeep.

People just need to be comfortable in their own skin. To me that is growing old gracefully. Hot just letting everything go to pot. When I'm in my 60s I might do something. I tried Botox once before a wedding and it did look good. I've always cared for myself. Why stop now?
I think most of us agree that a little maintenance work can be beneficial.

What does it say about a person who goes in for several procedures?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM

195 posts, read 350,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Does this person look good after the previous 2 procedures?

If so, then I would say it's normal but if I were related to this person I would be afraid because even the safest procedures can have complications.

If she looks already like she had too much surgery then she has a self image problem.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
When I did homecare in a state I lived, I had a patient who had a tummy tuck gone wrong. We had to pack the wound. It was not pretty--actually unbelievable. Kinda puts things in perspective after you see something like that.
With "movie stars" or the like, they really have to stay "young" for job security, to get parts or they won't work. For everyone else, I'd say be very careful, go to top docs, talk to their patients, etc. before procedure.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Good question! I really think that it depends upon what those several procedures are. And what several is.

If it's taking place between one's late 50's and early 70s, that's a span of 20 years. Most plastic surgery techniques last from 15 to 20 years, and the clock begins ticking the minute that one leaves the office, so several in a span of 20 -30 years may not render one grotesque, but just maintained, youthful and viable. Although if we take number, say twelve, out of context, it may sound huge. It did at first to me, , but I thought about it and it isn't that many at all. We also have to think not just of quantity, but quality and desired result. People do not emerge from plastic surgery looking like Ms. Rivers after one face lift, one eye lift, one round of collagen injections, a chemical facial peel, a nose job, a brow lift, a tummy tuck , liposuction, and filler injected into the naso labial fold( the crease between the nose and lips that depending upon one's genetic make up, can become very deep and unsightly)

Rivers required her trade mark creepy and un- natural look after several ful face lifts, that must have begun in her mid - forties, and numerous other invasive, non office procedures that, especially as one ages, can become risky. Conservatively, I'd say that someone like that has had no less than 50, and have of them invasive and requiring general anesthesia.

Rivers and others like her, may have begun with good intentions. After all she is in show business, and appearance is part of her job. So she has a professional, as well as personal motivation.
Also, I think she must be in her late 70s early 80s, and when she began, plastic surgery was far more crude, less subtle, and more dangerous and expensive.

Which leads me to another factor. When cost is not considered, and a patient has well lined pockets, the temptation factor increases. There is no choice between a child's college education, a family vacation and mom's latest procedure. Additionally, I think that there are some greedy and unethical plastic surgeons out there, especially in a place such as Beverly Hills, who are dealing with a very susceptible and wealthy client base. For anyone who has ever been privy to a consultation, cosmetic surgeons are good at what they do. And I do not only mean on the operating table. ( and as we all know, skill varies quite a bit) They are good as lavish compliments delivered to people who are already feeling a bit self critical, followed by subtle critique, that makes many patients even more vulnerable to overdoing it.

In short, I don't think there is a magic number that is too much for anyone person. Some procedures that are minor and in office, such as Botox, or cosmetic fillers, last only for six months to a year or two.
There are options other than the full face lift of the 50s -70s, that someone like Joan Rivers most likely had more than once.

My prediction is that their are newer, less expensive, and less invasive techniques that will be used by more people as part of a program of maintenance and self enhancement over a life span. If one is taking care of one's health and body, having their hair maintained, going to the gym, these minor techniques need not be seen as excessive.

Even the youngest of the baby boomers have hit, or will soon hit 50, and as for myself, I'm not willing to give in to age early on. Having worked at a cosmetic surgeon's office, I have seen first hand how good people can look and feel with a bit of judicious and skilled work.

Then, other people don't care. Perhaps they were never the type to care much about their appearance, or their appearance was never much a part of their personal identity, so aging has less impact on them.
It does not necessarily mean that they are better adjusted, or are accepting aging with more grace. In most cases, it's a matter of personal choice.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
The only time i dont like plastic surgery on someone - besides when its a bad job - but we may have grown to love the fact of that person, and now with plastic surgery - we will never get to see the face we've grown to love.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
The only time i dont like plastic surgery on someone - besides when its a bad job - but we may have grown to love the fact of that person, and now with plastic surgery - we will never get to see the face we've grown to love.
That is exactly how I see it. I want to remain the same for my children and grandchildren. This is the face (good or bad) that they grew up with. So what if there is are a few wrinkles. They can look at us and see the family, eyes, etc. Family history is lost when we change it too much.

Also, what kind of message are we telling our children when we feel we have to get cut (bleed) to look attractive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology