Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM

588 posts, read 957,473 times

Advertisements

Really? Most humans I see are extremely pessimistic. I'm borderline positive, meaning I do try to stay realistic but also try my hardest to expect the best. When the worst happens, sure, I'm disappointed. But it doesn't devastate me. Keeping an optimistic attitude helps me get through the day. However, I don't broadcast it bc many negative people give you such a hard time & think you're naive if they find out you're, um, cheerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
I'm very much an optimist, I'm HUGE on hope and it's carried me through many a difficult time. I'm very aware that life isn't always going to go my way, but I learned that neither worry nor "negative" behaviors can make things better and it just makes you feel worse.

I don't think it's bad to express one's anger or to share one's feelings of jealousy, hurt, sadness, bitterness, etc. I don't think that makes a person negative or that they have a negative outlook. But I also know that while I'm feeling this way, that it's a temporary state, and not the be all/end all of my life so I keep looking out for that silver lining and it usually comes, even if only in my heart. lol

Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
I seem to be someone who personifies the old gag.... Cheer up, things could be worse, so I cheered up and sure enough things got worse. It seems as though every time I make up my mind to be positive, karma manages to kick me in the butt AGAIN. It's extremely hard to be positive when you are constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it invariably does. I know I shouldn't let everything get me down, but it's really hard not to. And this year, is going to be extremely difficult due to employment and health insurance issues. Or more accurately, the lack of them. At age 60, employers aren't interested, and at ages 60 and 61, health insurance companies aren't, either. Just biding our time until 1/1/14 unless it gets repealed by those who have or will never have the experience of having everything ripped out from under them.

But I digress........Tell me how someone like me is supposed to remain positive all the time? And why, oh, why do those "lucky" people who have everything fall into their laps, feel the need to rub it in our faces all the time? I have a neighbor, who knows all about our situations, who just loves to tell me about all the good things happening for them right now. I try not to burden her with our tribulations, but I really am getting sick and tired about hearing how wonderful things are going for them! They are also our ages, but seems as though things are just getting handed to them, even though they have less education and experience than we have in our professions. Why does it seem that there are always people who "fall into gold", and those that come out "covered with muck"?

Back to my little hidey hole.............

Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I seem to be someone who personifies the old gag.... Cheer up, things could be worse, so I cheered up and sure enough things got worse. It seems as though every time I make up my mind to be positive, karma manages to kick me in the butt AGAIN. It's extremely hard to be positive when you are constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it invariably does. I know I shouldn't let everything get me down, but it's really hard not to. And this year, is going to be extremely difficult due to employment and health insurance issues. Or more accurately, the lack of them. At age 60, employers aren't interested, and at ages 60 and 61, health insurance companies aren't, either. Just biding our time until 1/1/14 unless it gets repealed by those who have or will never have the experience of having everything ripped out from under them.

But I digress........Tell me how someone like me is supposed to remain positive all the time? And why, oh, why do those "lucky" people who have everything fall into their laps, feel the need to rub it in our faces all the time? I have a neighbor, who knows all about our situations, who just loves to tell me about all the good things happening for them right now. I try not to burden her with our tribulations, but I really am getting sick and tired about hearing how wonderful things are going for them! They are also our ages, but seems as though things are just getting handed to them, even though they have less education and experience than we have in our professions. Why does it seem that there are always people who "fall into gold", and those that come out "covered with muck"?

Back to my little hidey hole.............
I'm almost 59 years old (in a few weeks).

I have a theory that you older you get, the harder it is to be cheerful and optimistic.

For at least three decades of my life, there was no one more upbeat and positive than me. I think I read every book on positive thinking that existed. I could quote Zig Ziglar, Norman Vincent Peale and Joel Osteen. Not to mention Rhonda Byrne and Joyce Meyers. I had their quotes throughout my home.

And then I got slapped down by life again, and again, and again.

And again.

Now I start each day with a simple prayer of gratitude, try to enjoy the pretty weather and pay attention to the song birds each morning.

And I try very hard to survive life in 15-minute increments.

As I said, I think age is a factor.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:38 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I agree,the older I get the more positive I become! I've had the wisdom to stop! Look around,and 're-do' my perceptions and interpretations. No longer do I seek perfection or comparison. Matter of fact the less perfect,the better. It's how life works...not perfect....but ohhh so much easier to endure.
Perhaps it's the coping skills coming home to roost. I still have the challenges ....yet somehow it's okay. Granted there are 'moments' of turmoil ....and from that I hum along..and deal.
When you realize your days really are numbered...you count every moment...

Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
We have to balance positive and negative. Being too positive could result in complacency, and not foreseeing problems. For example, someone might not save money in case they are laid off from work. Or they might buy a very expensive house, assuming their salary will constantly rise.

However, negative thoughts that go in circles are not helpful. They waste energy and take the pleasure out of life.

And we can't worry about the whole world. If we straighten out our own little part of the world, that is more helpful than agonizing about all the big problems you can't solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology