Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

Long ago, when reading a book about Winston Churchill, it was mentioned that he did not suffer fools gladly. I recognized it described me, so, I adapted the attitude. It didn't go over well in my relationships. Close friends knew if certain events occurred with people, my eyes would be rolling because I was not suffering them gladly. Friends didn't necessarily know the quote, but, they knew the gist of my thinking. So, while having conversation with my primary physician, I mentioned my inability to suffer fools gladly. His response let me know why it didn't work for me. Churchill had the power to back up his propensity regarding fools. I did not. I had no power. I may be dumb, but, I'm not stupid. A revamping of my thinking was in order and it worked. I still have trouble with certain situations, but, I'm more tolerant. I've often admired the knowledge of this physician and his immediate input on my situation was impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Long ago, when reading a book about Winston Churchill, it was mentioned that he did not suffer fools gladly. I recognized it described me, so, I adapted the attitude. It didn't go over well in my relationships. Close friends knew if certain events occurred with people, my eyes would be rolling because I was not suffering them gladly. Friends didn't necessarily know the quote, but, they knew the gist of my thinking. So, while having conversation with my primary physician, I mentioned my inability to suffer fools gladly. His response let me know why it didn't work for me. Churchill had the power to back up his propensity regarding fools. I did not. I had no power. I may be dumb, but, I'm not stupid. A revamping of my thinking was in order and it worked. I still have trouble with certain situations, but, I'm more tolerant. I've often admired the knowledge of this physician and his immediate input on my situation was impressive.
Churchill may not have suffered fools, but he was also a politician. And he realized that holding someone in contempt doesn't require your expressing that contempt...especially when the fool in question is within earshot.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Sometimes, more so as I age, nailing someone does not feel as good as I thought it would.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Thanks for this.

I do NOT suffer them gladly...at all.

I know I can't change a thing, I have no power but seeing it worded this way will give me much to think about.

I wonder how this will go...old habits die hard.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
Ha ha, check out the article "Unskilled and unaware of it ".

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Part of figuring out whether to suffer fools or not is to first identify whether the creature you are facing is a cockroach or tiger.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
This is what I often say about people going on anti-anxiety/ antidepressant meds, even if not severely depressed or incapacitated. I think it's fine, as long as people weigh the risks and benefits.

I've found that small doses of SSRIs/SNRIs can help us to "suffer fools" a little more easily.

I am sooo intolerant of people who are stupid, willfully stupid, lazy, or who have other traits I find abominable. I realized at some point in life that I can't change these people. And I can't completely avoid them.

Once I started trying SSRIs, I discovered that these fools were still fools, but it didn't get to me as much. I would still get annoyed, and often make my opinions on them known, but then I could let it go and move on. It was the first time I realized that I could take a pill that would make people around me less annoying!

My idea was that Zoloft, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, etc could have ad campaigns about how they help you "suffer fools more gladly."

Better living through pharmaceuticals!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Being as there are so many fools out there, I think patience and tolerance would go a long way toward better getting along with people.

Also there are different types of "fools". Some will not remain a "fool" very long if you take the time to teach them about something they have never had the opportunity to learn. For others, no amount of "teaching" will help. You can tell them something over and over and they will never "get it".

I try to be "non-judgmental" or "neutral" with idiots myself. I guess that is because I have worked with the general public most of my life. People do or say silly things and I show no reaction whatsoever. (Not what I am thinking of course.)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Being as there are so many fools out there, I think patience and tolerance would go a long way toward better getting along with people.

Also there are different types of "fools". Some will not remain a "fool" very long if you take the time to teach them about something they have never had the opportunity to learn. For others, no amount of "teaching" will help. You can tell them something over and over and they will never "get it".

I try to be "non-judgmental" or "neutral" with idiots myself. I guess that is because I have worked with the general public most of my life. People do or say silly things and I show no reaction whatsoever. (Not what I am thinking of course.)
^This.

Also, on first encounters I treat everyone equally and with respect. In some cases, adopting a harsh attitude to people you just met could mean the difference between telling a jerk to GTH, or by yelling at someone who is autistic and has a lack of social skills.

However, I only cut my patience with jerks and those who are mean spirited. Those who are ignorant, or "dumb" I will usually be very patient with them, and try to teach them the best I can under the circumstances.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This is what I often say about people going on anti-anxiety/ antidepressant meds, even if not severely depressed or incapacitated. I think it's fine, as long as people weigh the risks and benefits.

I've found that small doses of SSRIs/SNRIs can help us to "suffer fools" a little more easily.

I am sooo intolerant of people who are stupid, willfully stupid, lazy, or who have other traits I find abominable. I realized at some point in life that I can't change these people. And I can't completely avoid them.

Once I started trying SSRIs, I discovered that these fools were still fools, but it didn't get to me as much. I would still get annoyed, and often make my opinions on them known, but then I could let it go and move on. It was the first time I realized that I could take a pill that would make people around me less annoying!

My idea was that Zoloft, Effexor, Paxil, Celexa, etc could have ad campaigns about how they help you "suffer fools more gladly."

Better living through pharmaceuticals!
More than anything else, if a fool is taking SSRIs/SNRIs the person they suffer gladly most gladly is themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology