Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
to me, "worry about not being able to get pregnant and have a safe pregnancy and birth and of course baby" doesn't sound like biological clock it just sounds reasonable

IME experience, biological clock is where your thirty-something date says something like, "what names do you like for a baby" on date two. or worse, after you have sex for the first time. but i know i'm a biased sample
Its reasonable with every pregnancy but as women age their fertility often decreases and just becoming pregnant without medical intervention can be an issue as well as increased risk of birth defects and a more difficult pregnancy and birth. But yeah, I can definitely see why baby names after a few dates would seem like a ticking clock. Then again Ive known very young girls to do this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Am I the only one what has found that IRL, as opposed to in the media, at least as many men as women develop a strong desire to have kids when they reach a certain age?

For men, IME, this seems to happen most often in their late 30s, although I have known some who get it in their early 20s.

And of course, some men, like some women, never do.
My oldest brother is kind of like that but then again that doesn't surprise me because he thinks with the wrong head.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstMen View Post
Except men physically don't have a biological clock, unlike women.

Seems like scientific research say differently.

Quote:
Using techniques that can detect DNA and chromosomal defects
Quote:
directly in sperm cells, the researchers examined the sperm of 97 healthy
nonsmokers, ages 22 to 80. Compared with men in their 20's, those who were 40 to
49 had almost twice as much sperm DNA fragmentation, which is associated with
failures of fertility, conception and sustained pregnancy

Quote:

Richard Kennedy from the British
Fertility Society says that men over 55 are not used as sperm donors anyway due
to the quality of their semen. "The incidence of diploidy in older men is
probably related to the fact that the pituitary is producing too much follicle
stimulating hormone, which affects sperm," he said.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,274 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

My old boss and his wife decided to have kids at 50. They had originally planned on never having kids, then both realized as their families were dying that they wanted one of their own. Now they have one child and another on the way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-26-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM

87 posts, read 105,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Seems like scientific research say differently.

The body deterioates as we age, we know. Do men's reproductive organs shut down at a specified time frame? No. Nor do men feel the heat of impending doom of never reproducing.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
The body deterioates as we age, we know. Do men's reproductive organs shut down at a specified time frame? No. Nor do men feel the heat of impending doom of never reproducing.
I don't think it's the same for men either, but we cannot speak about all here, only some. So, (some) women yearn for children as men yearn for women. That's how my husband explained it to me. He said "You needed children to be happy and I needed you to be happy."

Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think it's the same for men either, but we cannot speak about all here, only some. So, (some) women yearn for children as men yearn for women. That's how my husband explained it to me. He said "You needed children to be happy and I needed you to be happy."
Great point.

Men (most) crave sex/women in the same way women (most) crave marriage/children.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Women's don't shut down at a specific time frame either. Its not like every woman at a certain age just suddenly becomes infertile. Yes the body deteriorates as we age for both men and women. These studies are linking men's age, thus aging sperm, with birth defects, infertility and pregnancy problems. The sperm deteriorate as men age and this has been linked to hormone production so men do have a physical biological clock. Perhaps men don't emotionally feel this ticking clock as impending doom because science is just recently studying and publicizing these findings.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,545,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But still, I think that if someone wants children - they should try for them. As my neighbor says, "Children are a gift at any age." Her brother had children when he was 59 and loves them more than anything in the world.
well said. Abraham (the father of judiasm, christianity, and islam) had his first child at the age of 86. (for the sake of comparison, Hugh Hefner just turned 87). And if men weren't designed to have healthy children after 50, evolution would have corrected these bad seed conceptions, like enabling miscarriages.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM

87 posts, read 105,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Women's don't shut down at a specific time frame either. Its not like every woman at a certain age just suddenly becomes infertile. Yes the body deteriorates as we age for both men and women. These studies are linking men's age, thus aging sperm, with birth defects, infertility and pregnancy problems. The sperm deteriorate as men age and this has been linked to hormone production so men do have a physical biological clock. Perhaps men don't emotionally feel this ticking clock as impending doom because science is just recently studying and publicizing these findings.
In the context of this thread, men do not have a biological clock. Men do not feel the need to reproduce or never do so, because they are not faced with the threat of menopause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology