Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 AM

368 posts, read 577,498 times

Advertisements

I'm black and I'm more uncomfortable in a place with all black people, something bad always happens. When I'm somewhere with all white people their uncomfortableness usually makes me uncomfortable LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
I'm black and I'm more uncomfortable in a place with all black people, something bad always happens. When I'm somewhere with all white people their uncomfortableness usually makes me uncomfortable LOL.
Lol, that probably means you are hanging out in the ghetto.

I have lived in majority white and black areas. I feel uncomfortable around racist or ignorant white people or white trash type areas and in dangerous hoods with black/hispanics. Really I feel awkward anywhere, that has a lot of people who could pose a hazard to my life.

Also I have noticed that some white people feel awkward around blacks even in professional settings as if they don't know how to interact with people of color. I can always tell whose has limited interaction with other races and that makes me feel uncomfortable as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

198 posts, read 262,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Recently I have spent quite a bit of time traveling in small towns in the Midwest and have gone to quite a few towns that are basically all White/Hispanic. Sometimes I go all day without seeing a Black Person. But then I will go to a public event with crowds and see one or two Blacks. I welcome them to the event but wonder about the psychology of them being there.

How do they feel walking into a crowd where everyone is White? Do they feel as uncomfortable? I would going to a place where everyone is Black? Or are they use to being a minority and not think much about the lack of diversity in the crowd?

I am especially interested in hearing from people who are part of an ethnic minority but live in a very homogenous place.

Yes, I am uncomfortable when the majority is white, therefore I was uncomfortable most of my younger life because the majority was white or Mexican. I now live in a pretty diverse place, but there are still plenty of blacks. I'm very comfortable now.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Right?! If we're going to put up with stereotypes, at least give us one good one
Or five or six, while we're at it!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
Those are the ones with little to no interaction, experience around black people besides at work or the portrayals on TV.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 PM

256 posts, read 480,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I have lived in majority white and black areas. I feel uncomfortable around racist or ignorant white people or white trash type areas and in dangerous hoods with black/hispanics. Really I feel awkward anywhere, that has a lot of people who could pose a hazard to my life.

Also I have noticed that some white people feel awkward around blacks even in professional settings as if they don't know how to interact with people of color. I can always tell whose has limited interaction with other races and that makes me feel uncomfortable as well.
Ditto.

Someone asked earlier if one would feel comfortable among Nigerian people and I have to say, based on my personal experiences over the years interacting, working, being friends with people from Nigeria and Ethiopia, I would be perfectly fine being the only white person in the room, on their street, or in a town populated by them. We are all colorblind when we interact, and for some reason (and please forgive me if this sounds offensive to anyone) I find it easier to become friends with Africans than local blacks. I feel that Africans are more interested in becoming my friends or at least that was my experience. That fact that none of us were born here probably helps too (as a common denominator).

On being a minority based on place of origin, (can't claim it being ethical because I am white) I usually run into good old-fashion-Cold-War stereotypes
I am originally from Eastern Europe but lived in Asia and Western Europe, and have been living in the US for decades, nevertheless, I still get questions about vodka, KGB, fat women, unshaven armpits, bears on the streets, etc. All Eastern Europe is Siberia and no matter what country you are from, you were part of the Soviet Union . Some ask if I am a spy. They say it jokingly but their eyes are full of suspicion
I am used to it, I just laugh it off.

On the plus side, I can get away with having my own opinion that differs from majority because in the eyes of many I am forever "foreigner", i.e. different and weird.

Last edited by Zen Dragonfly; 09-11-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Feeling uncomfortable in your natural suroundings creates a social pathology that I would blame on the person who feels uncomfortable. Anyplace you have to be everyday of your life is your natural surounding. If you don't feel comfortable there, who's behavior should change? The people around you or you. Who's behavior are you going to have more luck in changing ,yours or the people around you?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,435 times
I don't believe anyone feels comfortable un a situation where they feel they are the "odd" man out. You always want some connection/thing that makes you fill like you fit. Regardless of what is said, there's always that looming voice in the back of your head saying "I'm the only one," which makes the experience very lonely.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi2 View Post
I don't believe anyone feels comfortable un a situation where they feel they are the "odd" man out. You always want some connection/thing that makes you fill like you fit. Regardless of what is said, there's always that looming voice in the back of your head saying "I'm the only one," which makes the experience very lonely.
That's ridiculous! I'm black, and there is no such voice in my head.

If I'm in a room of like minded people and the only difference is that I'm the only black person, you're saying I need to forsake all of that and zero in on the fact that I'm black?? Please....

Old 10-13-2013, 10:46 PM

417 posts, read 824,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I wonder who feels more uncomfortable, a white guy in an all black neighborhood, or a black guy in an all white neighborhood.
The white guy because it's rarer. But obviously each individual is different and so I guess a caveat to my reply would be to say "on average the white guy". But being honest, I wouldn't even bother with that caveat and just say white guy. Now if it's women we were talking about I'd say the black women. Oh boy, I shouldn't say anymore...it'll become like some bar room drunk discussion that eventually devolves into your mama jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology