Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Is there any good trick to get them to shut up? Walking away isn't an option, nor is being rude.

I'm trying to rent out a house and some of the people who look just can not shut up. They think that they can stand there and talk about themselves for half an hour. Walking to their car doesn't work. They follow me out and then turn around and follow me back into the house.

Telling them "Thanks for stopping by" doesn't work, they just think of more to say, none of it of any interest to anybody.

I've had the problem working at job fairs, too. Someone will come and sit down and talk away. I can't leave the booth and since I am representing the company, I can't just tell the yakker to eat dirt and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM

29 posts, read 39,027 times
Just have a very noticeable loud angry conversation on the phone with a friend about how that "phone friend" never shuts up and you are sick of people jabbering all the damn time! really emphasize that...

Make sure the phone call happens in front of these people.

Say I listen to people jabber on all day like crazy people, I have had enough!

Tell them you have a splitting migraine headache, and the smallest sounds are intense and hurt, to please give you some time alone to get better or something. keep one eye shut to act out the pain.

It's very passive aggressive, but you asked.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Unfortunately, it is a professional situation, so passive aggressive isn't a good solution.

When it is not a professional situation, I just talk right over them and say, "I have to leave now.", and then I just leave. Or if I am trapped, I can always just turn my back and tune them out.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I had the same problem when I owned a business. People would call for an appointment and talk for 1/2 hour straight rambling about the weather, their divorce, the mail carrier...one topic leading to the next and the next. I would simply say "hmm" "mmhmm" "wow"...I would never encourage them, and they would just keep going.

I came to the conclusion that tons of people are simply popping pills nowadays and going off on rambling talking sprees because they are high.

If you have a smart phone, set your alarm ringer to go off and use a ring tone for the alarm. Simply say goodbye to the cereal talkers when it rings, and walk away to answer your "important call."

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Well to make a long story short, I was.born in Idaho to a family of five that came from a long line of plumbers of Mormon faith. I love tje color green, and by the way do you get enough calcium because if you dont

Blahblahblah

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I had the same problem when I owned a business. People would call for an appointment and talk for 1/2 hour straight rambling about the weather, their divorce, the mail carrier...one topic leading to the next and the next. I would simply say "hmm" "mmhmm" "wow"...I would never encourage them, and they would just keep going.

I came to the conclusion that tons of people are simply popping pills nowadays and going off on rambling talking sprees because they are high.

If you have a smart phone, set your alarm ringer to go off and use a ring tone for the alarm. Simply say goodbye to the cereal talkers when it rings, and walk away to answer your "important call."
I actually think it's because a lot of people are lonely and don't have a lot of people to talk to. Especially find this among older folk. Just let them down gently, if they are taking up valuable time.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
"Hey, I gotta get goin'"

Always works for me...every time!
Life is pretty simple.

Never lie under any circumstances...."Gee, I can't make that party, I
already have plans."
They don't need to know my plan is to watch TV that night...in 3 weeks.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I actually think it's because a lot of people are lonely and don't have a lot of people to talk to.
It's got to be something like that. Bad enough that people jabber non-stop in front of you. I also have people leave long winded conversations on my office land line. A few times to the extent they run out the whole twenty minute tape. Who the heck babbles for 15-20 minutes to a machine about nothing of great importance . If the tape didn't run out how long would they be there?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
It's got to be something like that. Bad enough that people jabber non-stop in front of you. I also have people leave long winded conversations on my office land line. A few times to the extent they run out the whole twenty minute tape. Who the heck babbles for 15-20 minutes to a machine about nothing of great importance . If the tape didn't run out how long would they be there?
Wow I've never experienced that...

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I actually think it's because a lot of people are lonely and don't have a lot of people to talk to. Especially find this among older folk. Just let them down gently, if they are taking up valuable time.
I don't see it with elderly people who enjoy conversation because of possible loneliness. I do understand what you are saying, though. I think that is just a normal part of life.

A prime example was yesterday when I had to run in the dollar store to grab some coffee and a few items. The cashier was a 40 year old male who started off making a comment on 1 item I bought. That led to telling me all about his daughter, her bike, her classes at school, her Ipad, her grades, every state he lived in, when he moved here, what kind of dog he has, how his dog bent it's tie out stake in the yard... and on and on and on...I felt like he literally told me half of his life story in the 3 minutes it took to check out (totally unsolicited on my part). It's just so random and one topic streams to the next and the next non stop with these people.

I have been told I look younger than my true age, and that I am very nice. People usually smile at me in public randomly. I am also pretty laid back and reserved; not a big talker. Maybe there is just something about some of us that draws people in and makes them feel safe. I still cannot figure out why people do this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology