Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Tried that once. And left before I decided to scream at the guy.

I'm cheap and not willing to lose any of my money to some over-educated snob who thinks he/she can make everyone permanently happy.

Some of you see it as kindness, I see it as people who just can't leave well enough alone.

If I'm being flagged down and they're genuinely in need of it, then I'll gladly stop and render any assistance.

If it looks like they're handling their situation, I'll only leave them alone out of fear they'll act just like I will.

Also, it seems the amount of people that suggest therapy and meds are growing at an ever-increasing rate.

Ingrate and proud of it.
Hence why we said your response is not rational and to seek anger management. At which you responded another irrational response at. If you are ok with being wrong then why come on a forum and ask if others are irritated by kindness as well? To prove your right? It will only prove that you and someone else are wrong.

People who leave "welkl enough alone" are the people who drive by a bad accident, or don't call police when they hear a bad domestic dispute. I have stopped many times for someone on the side of the road, in a car, on a bike, it didn't matter. One lady needed her car jumped... so I did it. Another had a flat tire, and we had an air compressor with us. Not everyone can be as arrogant as someone who doesn't need help, ever.

Some people were raised to know what needing help looks like, and to help when needed. Clearly you fit the description, in more than one sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Hence why we said your response is not rational and to seek anger management. At which you responded another irrational response at. If you are ok with being wrong then why come on a forum and ask if others are irritated by kindness as well? To prove your right? It will only prove that you and someone else are wrong.

People who leave "welkl enough alone" are the people who drive by a bad accident, or don't call police when they hear a bad domestic dispute. I have stopped many times for someone on the side of the road, in a car, on a bike, it didn't matter. One lady needed her car jumped... so I did it. Another had a flat tire, and we had an air compressor with us. Not everyone can be as arrogant as someone who doesn't need help, ever.

Some people were raised to know what needing help looks like, and to help when needed. Clearly you fit the description, in more than one sense.
I carry my own tools with me and when it comes to education, I prefer to take hands-on classes where I learn to fix my own things.
If somebody isn't prepared, then that's on them.

Arrogant is something I definitely am not though.
I don't go to the gym and build my muscles in order to intimidate others and pick up dumb blondes.

I'm just somebody who doesn't want to bothered when I don't need to be.
If I have earphones on, then why are you still standing there expecting a response?

As for where this happens, I have pretty much lived in rural/semi-rural areas for pretty much all my life.
I have a good enough paying job where I'm at, but with all the down-home kindness I see in these areas, perhaps it is time to knuckle up and switch to a more urban venue.

Might have to brace myself and attempt to go back to college again for something viable.
My current line of work may not translate well back into a somewhat bigger city.
But urban passivity might be the only option in my case.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
As for where this happens, I have pretty much lived in rural/semi-rural areas for pretty much all my life.
I have a good enough paying job where I'm at, but with all the down-home kindness I see in these areas, perhaps it is time to knuckle up and switch to a more urban venue.

Might have to brace myself and attempt to go back to college again for something viable.
My current line of work may not translate well back into a somewhat bigger city.
But urban passivity might be the only option in my case.
Wow...

Yes do move to some big city where no one cares and if you get hit by a car people will just step over your broken body as you slowly die.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Wow...

Yes do move to some big city where no one cares and if you get hit by a car people will just step over your broken body as you slowly die.
What part of my post did you not get?
Obviously, if someone appears to be healthy and not in any sort of trauma, why should they be bothered?

Of course if someone gets hit, they should be checked out immediately and have the proper authorities called.

But if they're clearly pulling out tools and fixing their own piece of machinery, then perhaps they have it under control.
I don't know how much clearer I have to make it, but I'm clearly referring to those nutjobs that insist on checking up on someone that is clearly conscious and moving around.

HOW MUCH CLEARER DO I HAVE TO MAKE IT TO YOU?!?!?

I get into these same arguments with people in the real world and just like everyone here, they take every single word out of context.

No wonder why I choose to just stay home all the time if I don't have to go to work.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
What part of my post did you not get?
Obviously, if someone appears to be healthy and not in any sort of trauma, why should they be bothered?

Of course if someone gets hit, they should be checked out immediately and have the proper authorities called.

But if they're clearly pulling out tools and fixing their own piece of machinery, then perhaps they have it under control.
I don't know how much clearer I have to make it, but I'm clearly referring to those nutjobs that insist on checking up on someone that is clearly conscious and moving around.

HOW MUCH CLEARER DO I HAVE TO MAKE IT TO YOU?!?!?

I get into these same arguments with people in the real world and just like everyone here, they take every single word out of context.

No wonder why I choose to just stay home all the time if I don't have to go to work.
I think you have moved to the right place if you are still living in New Mexico. I love New Mexico but met one of the rudest people volunteering in the Welcome Center there. And being arrogant covers a lot more territory than flexing ones muscles.

As for waving your arms asking for help, one is more likely to receive help when trying to help oneself. Sorry people want to help too much but there may come a day when you wish someone would stop to help you. It is O. K. to say "No thank you."

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM

317 posts, read 474,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
If you are ok with being wrong then why come on a forum and ask if others are irritated by kindness as well?

I have stopped many times for someone on the side of the road, in a car, on a bike, it didn't matter. One lady needed her car jumped... so I did it. Another had a flat tire, and we had an air compressor with us. Not everyone can be as arrogant as someone who doesn't need help, ever.

Some people were raised to know what needing help looks like, and to help when needed.
I agree.

Kindness is the best course whenever you're in a position to either offer or accept/decline help. You're not doing yourself any favors getting angry, OP, and risk insulting the people who offer you help with your tone and mannerisms. What good does all this negativity do anybody?

Obviously, when we're in trouble, the help of a Good Samaritan can be a lifesaver; I've had my own grateful hide saved by the kindness of strangers scores of times. And I was raised to believe with conviction that helping people in trouble is part of the social contract.

But I've discovered something else as well: that the act of helping benefits the helping party too because helping makes us feel good. It feels good to be a positive force, no matter how fleeting, in someone else's day. Doesn't it? It does for me. I know it sounds a little convoluted, but why would I want to deny that to those who would help me out in my time of need?

And you never know. You just might be in a position to repay them more concretely someday.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Why would you ever get angry at somebody trying to help you. I'm sorry you don't sound very nice

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
I became mildly impatient (and hope I didn't show it) a while back, when I was waiting in a heavily trafficked parking lot for a tow truck for my broken-down car, whose hood was raised so the acrid smoke could escape from near the AC and the engine could cool off. Around five people asked if I needed help, offered jumper cables (not needed), etc. The only one who led me to feel as described above was an older man who was extremely persistent, telling me he could fix it, that I'd called the most expensive tow company, asking me where I was going to take the car, then telling me that was the most costly place, etc. I remained firm and kept repeating that I'd already made the call, my insurance would cover the tow, that under the circumstances, it had to go back to the dealership, etc.

Did I resent him offering help? No. Did I resent his persistence and seeming implication that my own judgment and actions were mistaken? You bet.

Looking back at it, I expect this was the most exciting part of his day, and he needed to feel, well, needed. But after his initial offer to help, his persistence made him more irritating than helpful, with unwelcome curiosity and condescension tossed in for good measure.

No, I didn't give him my name or tell him where I lived - he asked. No, I was fine with waiting for the tow and didn't want to cancel or rethink it. Yes, I was going to take my car to the dealership. No, jumper cables wouldn't be helpful in this case, thank you very much.

I finally got back into my car and faked an incoming phone call, just to shoo the old gentleman off.

But did he think he was being helpful? No doubt, just as did the other four people who asked if I needed help. Did I resent his initial inquiry, or those of the others? Not a bit. Why should I?? It was just his unwillingness to accept my thanks-but-no-thanks reply that was exasperating, and that's a very different thing than the OP here describes.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Why would you ever get angry at somebody trying to help you. I'm sorry you don't sound very nice
I'm selectively nice to persons and groups I've grown accustomed to.
The "bicycle community" and people from work.

These were social contracts I initiated myself and feel the most comfortable with.

Regardless of their intentions, outsiders randomly rolling up in a car will receive tough love until I know what their angle is.

On the other hand, I don't act as irritable if they're a stranger that rolls up on bike or is on foot.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 PM

318 posts, read 626,161 times
Nah, I don't mind it. I think it's nice that they're bothered to help me, especially when they don't have to.

I do dislike sales assistants going up to me and asking me if I need help when I've only just stepped into the shop 30 seconds ago, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology