Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

I've run into people like this, they are just unhappy with EVERYTHING about life. You could be handing out $100 bills and they would complain they are too hard to cash, how about handing out 5 $20's instead.

We just had a customer like this at work. We busted our tails and went overboard to please him, but he was just a miserable human being. No attempt at reaching his human side worked, he was just hellbent on making everyone around him as miserable as he was.

I can't imagine going through life like that, and I feel bad for any family he has who have to put up with him.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
What part of my post did you not get?
Obviously, if someone appears to be healthy and not in any sort of trauma, why should they be bothered?

Of course if someone gets hit, they should be checked out immediately and have the proper authorities called.

But if they're clearly pulling out tools and fixing their own piece of machinery, then perhaps they have it under control.
I don't know how much clearer I have to make it, but I'm clearly referring to those nutjobs that insist on checking up on someone that is clearly conscious and moving around.

HOW MUCH CLEARER DO I HAVE TO MAKE IT TO YOU?!?!?

I get into these same arguments with people in the real world and just like everyone here, they take every single word out of context.

No wonder why I choose to just stay home all the time if I don't have to go to work.

It really is everyone else but you No really

Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Way I see it, we entered this world alone, we'll exit it the same way.
I'm pretty sure that there had to be at least one other person there when you arrived.....

Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
People feel better for trying and at the same time may help someone in actual need. You can't blame them for asking. Feel free to blame the ones who persist, however.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
I'm pretty sure that there had to be at least one other person there when you arrived.....
LOL my thoughts exactly.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
When someone sees another person changing a tire in the rain, they have no idea if that person is a mechanic or someone clinging to the instruction manual for dear life. All they know is that someone looks like they might need help. If they don't need help, the good Samaritan can be dispatched with a sincere, "thank you!" To think maliciously of someone going out of their way to help verges on sociopathic. I'd venture to guess the OP has never stopped to help anyone with a flat, either.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
About a week ago I pulled into a shopping center and saw a young Mom there with the hood up on her car. She was pouring water into the radiator, and had a small child in the back seat. I actually hesitated to ask her if she needed help because of how she might take it, after all, in today's goofy world some people have strange motives. But I did say "Are you ok, or can I help ?" She said "Yes."

Her car had overheated and she had a small bottle of water, so I went into the grocery store and got 3 gallons of water and put some in for her. I checked out what was happening and the electric fan wasn't coming on, so we cooled her motor off, topped off the water, and she drove off. I told her to have someone look at the fan, but as long as she was moving it should be ok to get her the short distance home. I left feeling so bad for her because I have been in exactly the same position she was........short on money and broken down on a hot Summer day. Maybe I should have offered her a few bucks to have someone fix it, but again, I didn't want to come across the wrong way.

The point of this story is that we have become so isolated in our own little worlds and so afraid of human contact that we resist the most basic urges to reach out and help someone. Or, as this OP has shown, we are somehow offended when someone invades our world to try to make sure we are simply ok.

Really a sad commentary on how far humans have evolved, isn't it ?

Don

Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Maybe because when people hold a door open or let you in in traffic they get equally as angry if they don't receive the desired response

Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Wow, interesting because I am that person you refer to. I like to help people esp when I see them struggling, and now after reading your post I will curtail that a bit, because I get irritated when I go out of my way to help others fix their problems, and receive no gratitude.

Be careful for what you wish for.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've run into people like this, they are just unhappy with EVERYTHING about life. You could be handing out $100 bills and they would complain they are too hard to cash, how about handing out 5 $20's instead.

We just had a customer like this at work. We busted our tails and went overboard to please him, but he was just a miserable human being. No attempt at reaching his human side worked, he was just hellbent on making everyone around him as miserable as he was.

I can't imagine going through life like that, and I feel bad for any family he has who have to put up with him.

Don
Ironic the local consumer advocate in Denver refers to the above as "the poisoned customer" nothing you can do will please them. Some of them I actually believe get some sort of sick fullfilment from ruining other's day and then they get to argue and get a perceived win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology