Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM

128 posts, read 177,762 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had some one say something to you that left you speechless, flabbergasted?
It happened to me a while ago.
I was meeting my sister's future in-laws. We were out at some restaurant standing around talking. As I was talking to one sister-in-law to be she kept talking like she thought I was pregnant! I wasn't, just a bit chunky. I didn't say anything. Then another person was staring down at my middle section and started to talk like I was pregnant too! I was flabbergasted. I didn't know what to say. I was hurt, humiliated and upset. I just walked out and sat in the car to wait for my husband. Has something like this ever happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
That seems like an honest mistake. It doesn't sound like they were trying to hurt you. Why didn't you just tell them that you weren't pregnant? That would have solved the whole problem.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I loved the way David Mitchell metaphorically put it:

"Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms around the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left agog, in the starting cage."

Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat42207 View Post
Have you ever had some one say something to you that left you speechless, flabbergasted?
It happened to me a while ago.
I was meeting my sister's future in-laws. We were out at some restaurant standing around talking. As I was talking to one sister-in-law to be she kept talking like she thought I was pregnant! I wasn't, just a bit chunky. I didn't say anything. Then another person was staring down at my middle section and started to talk like I was pregnant too! I was flabbergasted. I didn't know what to say. I was hurt, humiliated and upset. I just walked out and sat in the car to wait for my husband. Has something like this ever happened to you?
Yes, this has totally happened to me many times. No big deal to me, but I'm not vain. I've mistaken someone else as pregnant, too. Sometimes the abdomen can have a roundness (not a fatness) that leads one to think pregnancy. Sometimes people have a "glow".

As for someone saying something that left me flabbergasted....yes, but it was so out there that I don't want to repeat it in public. Bizarro request. It ended our friendship.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
It may not have been how you looked, but that they got the impression from somewhere earlier, perhaps a misunderstood conversation among that side of the family?

I would say your skin is a bit thin though!

Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Yes I have (recently) and that was the end of that relationship. Not because I couldn't handle what he said but because normal people simply don't say things like that. To anyone.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM

128 posts, read 177,762 times
Yes, I agree I shouldn't of made a big deal of it. I was young and just didn't know how to deal with it. If it happened now I would be able to laugh and say " no, I'm just fat"

Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat42207 View Post
Yes, I agree I shouldn't of made a big deal of it. I was young and just didn't know how to deal with it. If it happened now I would be able to laugh and say " no, I'm just fat"
Good for you!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
My mother-in-law, probably left me speechless more than any other person. She was one of these women who was busy with church work and teaching school. I don't know if people actually thought she was a wonderful person, but, her family didn't think it. At least, most of them didn't.

Sometimes, when she spoke she would begin with... um...uh. One day, we were at their home for dinner. She looked across the table at me, "Rubi3, Mrs Herndon, hm... uh.. told me you used to bring aspirin to school and one day you took 3." Mrs Herndon was my 7th grade teacher. Her only child son and I were newlyweds and I was not yet accustomed to his witch of a mother. His dad was quiet with nothing much to say. I would not have been surprised to have been led out to a guillotine quickly constructed in the backyard.

Later on, when we had a baby girl, she was crazy about the baby. One Saturday, while babysitting, she took her to a salon and had them give her a perm.................. on her very fine baby hair. No, we didn't prosecute. Her words didn't leave me speechless, her actions did.

Whatever our daughter was wearing when she went to see her memo, was immediately removed and laundered in the bathtub, then she would iron it dry, no matter what it was made from. This woman was currently teaching Home Economics and had a master's degree... a perfect example of someone who didn't benefit from an education.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Someone on the dating forum asked me about the condition of my teeth. That left me speechless.

(although I understood his reasoning, after he explained, it just seems too weird to ask that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology