Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But things like using the wrong "there," "their," or "they're," or using "your" instead of "you're," or inserting an apostrophe into a plural noun, are not simply spelling errors attributable to being in a rush and informality.

They are serious errors that show that the writer has a lack of intelligence or a poor education, if the person is a native English speaker, of course. But I find that the people for whom English is not their first language are actually not the ones making the "your," "their," and misplaced apostrophe errors.

In most cases, in informal settings like a forum, I try to ignore such errors.

BUT, if the poster making the error is calling someone else's intelligence into question, I do point it out, as this kind of error calls the poster's own intelligence into question.

If the poster making the error is complaining about "no one will hire me; it must be the fault of evil HR conspiracies" I do point it out, as it may be a legitimate factor holding the person back from being considered for a job.

So in a nutshell, if the poster making the grammatical error is saying something that makes their grammar error relevant, I do, and people should, point it out.

If they are just posting about a TV show, a movie, or some food they like, then even though I'm a grammar Nazi, I ignore it.
You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. For some reason, it drives me up a freakin' wall more than anything when people improperly use "your." I routinely see posters all over the Internet, including City-Data, lambasting others saying "your a idiot," "your stupid," etc.

I had a boss who had absolutely terrible grammar. What made it worse is that he would send out mass e-mails to department members which would sometimes be chock-full of errors. My favorite was his e-mail he sent out detailing the training all employees were required to go threw.

But in general, a lot of people get defensive when correcting their spelling and grammar because they take it as an attack on their intelligence. They also feel once you point out their errors, you'll be(/ have been) hypercritical of them; not to mention people are generally intimidated by those smarter than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. For some reason, it drives me up a freakin' wall more than anything when people improperly use "your." I routinely see posters all over the Internet, including City-Data, lambasting others saying "your a idiot," "your stupid," etc.

I had a boss who had absolutely terrible grammar. What made it worse is that he would send out mass e-mails to department members which would sometimes be chock-full of errors. My favorite was his e-mail he sent out detailing the training all employees were required to go threw.

But in general, a lot of people get defensive when correcting their spelling and grammar because they take it as an attack on their intelligence. They also feel once you point out their errors, you'll be(/ have been) hypercritical of them; not to mention people are generally intimidated by those smarter than themselves.
Not a popular sentiment, and perhaps elitist, but I often feel that stupidity is a choice. And that does bother me that people choose stupidity. That may be a personal issue that I have to own.

Perhaps some of us are of the mind that we would should strive for excellence, and in particular, excellence in writing.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
---but I often feel that stupidity is a choice-- wow//

Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
---but I often feel that stupidity is a choice-- wow//
Interesting. Please understand that I don't mean that sentiment toward those who genuinely are learning-disabled. I mean those who can be more knowledgeable but choose not to be.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I've never personally understood why so many people are so hung up about grammar. Who cares if one comma is left out, or slang is used or whatever. I never gave a crap, as long as I could understand what people are saying than that's all that matters to me. I've never seen anyone online or in person who I couldn't understand, even when they type l1k3 DI$ or say aint. I personally think it's silly to care and it shows lack of a life, if you've got time to analyze every little word someone says and how they spell or use it.

I think people get upset about it because it's beyond silly....who freaking cares! Maybe they want to stick to the topic at hand not sit and break down every word someone has typed or said. In the words of Sweet Brown...ain't nobody got time for that!
Many people care.
If someone is arguing an issue with very poor grammar and spelling, I question their intelligence and their ability to actually understand the issue.
After all, they have just proven to me that they didn't understand the most basic rules of grammar that were taught to them in elementary school.
Yes, elementary school. It's not neuroscience.
If you lack the ability to grasp a lesson plan that is taught to children, then everything else you say becomes suspect.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Actually, the above comment leads to another issue: that the teachers in grammar school are some of the above posters railing that they should not be required to use, or held to any standards of, proper grammar if their point or purpose is of value.

I cannot tell you how often I received papers from my children's teachers and principal which contained egregious and severe spelling/grammar errors. The point is, that these are the people who have been teaching the last 2-3 generations of lousy spellers and grammar sloths. My children are in their early 40s so it is not a very recent issue.

Stome of this lackadaisical attitude stems from the "new teaching methods" wherein every child gets a trophy or star regardless whether anything of value was achieved; where spelling and grammar only count on spelling tests or English papers; and where reading and reading comprehension have been given short shrift in most schools. I've seen college papers with an A that I would have given a recommendation of the need to repeat 3rd grade. I've seen books that should never have left the computer or typewriter yet made it into print. The people who could stop that have given up in disgust: we are the ones called derogatory names and dismissed - as above - as having no life.

So call me a grammar nazi, say I have no life, I don't care. I won't read your drivel. If it isn't important enough to say it correctly, then close your mouth, cease moving your fingers, and do some reading. Learn that there is a huge difference between these two:

Eats Shoots and Leaves

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves

Sincerely,
Grammar Nazi Annie

Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Grammar is only one aspect. I think reading comprehension, critical thinking and rhetotic are far more important. Some people have perfect grammar but they really have nothing new or interesting to say to their audience. One example is someone telling their audienced with perfect grammar how great she thinks she is and how insignificant and unintelligent her listeners are. Would people really listen? How useful or accurate is that content?

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 11-03-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
(quote) Yes, elementary school. It's not neuroscience. REALLY?

(quote)Undoubtedly, the United States has much to learn from education systems in other countries. Once the world’s education leader, the U.S. has seen the percentage of its high-school students who are proficient trail that of 31 other countries in math and 16 countries in reading, according to a recent study by Harvard’s Program on Education Policy and Governance (PEPG) The International Experience :

THIS is reality- so unless you are volunteering at local schools or screaming they throw more tax dollars to education, which is cut even more every year... do NOt expect to see better grammar, spelling or even correct sentences. We will always have over achievers- kids born in poverty or ignorance with beautiful minds and who simply blossom into intelligent beings who mark changes in our society- but we are purposely cutting those chances.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Here's a perfect example of what drives me insane. In case it comes out too small, it's a street sign in Clifton NJ that reads "Put trash in it's place." Somebody was paid to design the sign. Somebody was paid to paint it. Somebody was paid to proof-read it. And somebody was paid to put it up. Taxpayers paid for all of that.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I've never personally understood why so many people are so hung up about grammar. Who cares if one comma is left out, or slang is used or whatever. I never gave a crap, as long as I could understand what people are saying than that's all that matters to me. I've never seen anyone online or in person who I couldn't understand, even when they type l1k3 DI$ or say aint. I personally think it's silly to care and it shows lack of a life, if you've got time to analyze every little word someone says and how they spell or use it.

I think people get upset about it because it's beyond silly....who freaking cares! Maybe they want to stick to the topic at hand not sit and break down every word someone has typed or said. In the words of Sweet Brown...ain't nobody got time for that!
It's hardly about lacking a life. It's simply a fact that if you love language, and if you know grammar and spelling the errors leap right out at you. It's difficult to miss "Your a idiot" or "Car for sell" or even "Life go's on."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology