Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times

Advertisements

But things like using the wrong "there," "their," or "they're," or using "your" instead of "you're," or inserting an apostrophe into a plural noun, are not simply spelling errors attributable to being in a rush and informality.

They are serious errors that show that the writer has a lack of intelligence or a poor education, if the person is a native English speaker, of course. But I find that the people for whom English is not their first language are actually not the ones making the "your," "their," and misplaced apostrophe errors.

In most cases, in informal settings like a forum, I try to ignore such errors.

BUT, if the poster making the error is calling someone else's intelligence into question, I do point it out, as this kind of error calls the poster's own intelligence into question.

If the poster making the error is complaining about "no one will hire me; it must be the fault of evil HR conspiracies" I do point it out, as it may be a legitimate factor holding the person back from being considered for a job.

So in a nutshell, if the poster making the grammatical error is saying something that makes their grammar error relevant, I do, and people should, point it out.

If they are just posting about a TV show, a movie, or some food they like, then even though I'm a grammar Nazi, I ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM

36 posts, read 89,623 times
I do find poor grammar and spelling annoying. It doesn't bother me enough to call someone out on an internet forum, though.

It is pretty disheartening to see how far spelling has degenerated since texting became ubiquitous. All of those abbreviated spellings have spilled over into other areas.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:49 PM

747 posts, read 1,683,149 times
I've never personally understood why so many people are so hung up about grammar. Who cares if one comma is left out, or slang is used or whatever. I never gave a crap, as long as I could understand what people are saying than that's all that matters to me. I've never seen anyone online or in person who I couldn't understand, even when they type l1k3 DI$ or say aint. I personally think it's silly to care and it shows lack of a life, if you've got time to analyze every little word someone says and how they spell or use it.

I think people get upset about it because it's beyond silly....who freaking cares! Maybe they want to stick to the topic at hand not sit and break down every word someone has typed or said. In the words of Sweet Brown...ain't nobody got time for that!

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 11-01-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But things like using the wrong "there," "their," or "they're," or using "your" instead of "you're," or inserting an apostrophe into a plural noun, are not simply spelling errors attributable to being in a rush and informality.

They are serious errors that show that the writer has a lack of intelligence or a poor education, if the person is a native English speaker, of course.
I know the difference between "there" "they're" and "their" but I also catch myself making that mistake if I am distracted sometimes. Of course I don't think it's lack of intelligence or poor education because I wouldn't describe myself like that. My self preservation instinct would prevent referring to myself in such harsh terms.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

They are serious errors that show that the writer has a lack of intelligence or a poor education, if the person is a native English speaker, of course. But I find that the people for whom English is not their first language are actually not the ones making the "your," "their," and misplaced apostrophe errors.

In most cases, in informal settings like a forum, I try to ignore such errors.

BUT, if the poster making the error is calling someone else's intelligence into question, I do point it out, as this kind of error calls the poster's own intelligence into question.

If the poster making the error is complaining about "no one will hire me; it must be the fault of evil HR conspiracies" I do point it out, as it may be a legitimate factor holding the person back from being considered for a job.

So in a nutshell, if the poster making the grammatical error is saying something that makes their grammar error relevant, I do, and people should, point it out.

If they are just posting about a TV show, a movie, or some food they like, then even though I'm a grammar Nazi, I ignore it.
Guess you have NOT met the new Generation X-- you are going to croak if you get that upset about those details on open forums! If you are their authority in some way- by all means, but you are not, And writer has a lack of intelligence or a poor education, how do you know this? Talk about profiling. brrrr

Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I find it rude. What the grammar and spelling police are saying is: stop the conversation and everybody focus on me while I point out how superior I am because I know how to spell "their" and use it correctly. Well, good for you. Good spelling and grammar will qualify you for a $10 an hour secretary job, but only if you can type 60 words per minute and know how to answer phones. Some people with spelling or grammar issues have disabilities. Some of them have a different language as their primary language. English might be their second, or third, or even fourth language. How rude you all are to think it is acceptable to publicly criticize someone with a disability. However, I do find it amusing that the majority of notes criticizing grammar contain grammar errors themselves. Self-righteousness is never adorable. Keep that in mind. Editing to mention, the above was written with paragraphs. The website removed the paragraphs that were there.
You hit the nail on the head!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Most of people try to ashame, bash or "joke" about mistakes.

How about being a human once and explaining where the mistake is and what is correct way to put it instead.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM

380 posts, read 833,903 times
How about the apostrophe-for-plural epidemic? What the heck is going on? Fancy restaurants, adverts ... you name it, you'll find at least one every day. A relative who was a senior in high school showed me his term paper, on which he'd received an "A". It was loaded with 's for plurals and not ONE was corrected!

Last edited by Pamina333; 11-02-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
How about the apostrophe-for-plural epidemic? What the heck is going on? Fancy restaurants, adverts ... you name it, you'll find at least one every day. A relative who was a senior in high school showed me his term paper, on which he'd received an "A". It was loaded with 's for plurals and not ONE was corrected!
I'm sharing your pain. It's become appallingly common. Did half the population just turn stupid overnight or something? Basic elementary school knowledge.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Americans in general tacitly approve of everything being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Idiocracy is a reality.

The "grammar police" will come to realize they are no more effective than the Maginot Line and they will loose.

Spoiler
(waiting for the "I see what you did there")
I saw what you did there and am thankful I clicked the spoiler before I lit into you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology