Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's one for the forum:

Why do people get upset or even freak out when their written spelling or grammar is corrected? I'm not talking about embarrassingly correcting someone aloud.

For example:

Lamebook – Funny Facebook Statuses, Fails, LOLs and More – The Original » That Didn’t Last Long…

Auto-correct is basically everywhere, as is dictionary.com, etc. We all went to school and were supposed to learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It's not that difficult to check if what you wrote is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I think it bothers some people because they feel that the person doing the correcting is more interested in pointing out a mistake than in understanding what the person was trying to say, which, in their view, is what's really important.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I think the person is upset because they realize that they can't spell or use correct grammar and it is being pointed out in front of everyone else. But it's the reader who is being inconvenienced by having to try to translate what the writer is trying to say.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 AM

513 posts, read 737,035 times
Default ^^^

I agree with the above. I tried to explain this to a younger person I worked with (not in front of anyone else, either)--it's putting the responsibility of understanding on the reader when it should be on the writer. She got offended and embarrassed, then said "Well, you understand what I mean and everyone knows I can't spell!"

She was very good at math/numbers and was the timekeeper for our group. I replied it was as if I had entered the wrong times and then expected her to know what I meant to put on my card. Of course, she said that was different!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I think it bothers them because it reminds then that there is special place in
(((hell)) awaiting them.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the person is upset because they realize that they can't spell or use correct grammar and it is being pointed out in front of everyone else. But it's the reader who is being inconvenienced by having to try to translate what the writer is trying to say.
Having to translate and guess what someone is saying is a waste of my time. I was pretty much failing English when my teacher took me under her wing and tutored me, on her time. And I took the time to listen and learn. I don't think it's too much to expect others to take their time to learn to spell and use proper grammar.

Notice how many people say, "I seen," instead of "I saw..." In fact, notice the teachers who can't construct a proper sentence. Pathetic! I have little use for public education if it can't do a better job using and teaching people the basics.

When I make a grammatical error, I WANT someone to point it out. I'll feel very foolish for a moment, but you can bet I'll learn from it. People need to spend more time learning from their mistakes and less time getting into a snit about being shown their mistake.

IMO, of course, lol.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Having to translate and guess what someone is saying is a waste of my time. I was pretty much failing English when my teacher took me under her wing and tutored me, on her time. And I took the time to listen and learn. I don't think it's too much to expect others to take their time to learn to spell and use proper grammar.

Notice how many people say, "I seen," instead of "I saw..." In fact, notice the teachers who can't construct a proper sentence. Pathetic! I have little use for public education if it can't do a better job using and teaching people the basics.

When I make a grammatical error, I WANT someone to point it out. I'll feel very foolish for a moment, but you can bet I'll learn from it. People need to spend more time learning from their mistakes and less time getting into a snit about being shown their mistake.

IMO, of course, lol.
I agree with Agent Cooper - the burden of clear expression is on the writer. It is not the job of the reader to try and decipher. Especially when the spelling barely resembles English.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I think it bothers some people because they feel that the person doing the correcting is more interested in pointing out a mistake than in understanding what the person was trying to say, which, in their view, is what's really important.
To this I tell people: you might have a really good, even wonderful, point to make, but you're wrapping it in a bad package. The bad package of poor grammar quietly says "the intelligence of my point is in question because I may not even be bright enough to use the proper grammar."

Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Auto-correct is basically everywhere, as is dictionary.com, etc. We all went to school and were supposed to learn the difference between there, their, and they're. It's not that difficult to check if what you wrote is correct.
Don't we all know to provide advice only when asked? Most people don't like to be corrected unless they are asking for feedback. They will learn when they are ready to learn, not when you think they "should" be ready. If you don't understand the message it's usually more productive to ask for clarification or to just drop the conversation. Correcting people when you haven't been asked just creates unnecessary drama

Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I find it rude. What the grammar and spelling police are saying is: stop the conversation and everybody focus on me while I point out how superior I am because I know how to spell "their" and use it correctly. Well, good for you. Good spelling and grammar will qualify you for a $10 an hour secretary job, but only if you can type 60 words per minute and know how to answer phones. Some people with spelling or grammar issues have disabilities. Some of them have a different language as their primary language. English might be their second, or third, or even fourth language. How rude you all are to think it is acceptable to publicly criticize someone with a disability. However, I do find it amusing that the majority of notes criticizing grammar contain grammar errors themselves. Self-righteousness is never adorable. Keep that in mind. Editing to mention, the above was written with paragraphs. The website removed the paragraphs that were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology