Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to what other people fantasize about the kind of person they wish they could be. I think even people who are happy with themselves, may have a secret fantasy about it because reality doesn't allow someone to have everything they want.

Lately, I have been pondering what kind of person I want to be and what I really want.

Since this is a forum online, and we are for the most part anonymous, maybe we can let our hair down and share some of our wishes.

I'll go first-

I wish I was someone who always had loved ones around me and nice and caring people who want to be with me and have time for me. I am married and have my husband, but I wish I had best friends too and family who would want to and were able to spend time with me.

I have dreamed about being a model, famous, etc. when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I realize I wouldn't want to and don't need to be those things.

I guess I just want to have love from people, even more than I already do. I wish I could have good people always ask me how I am doing, listen to me, want to spend time with me, visit me, etc. and really give me lots of attention and care. I want to be pampered and showered with attention and adoration by a circle of loved ones!

As for the life I want to live- well of course I want a life of leisure but still have things I feel passionate about doing to prove and demonstrate my abilities. I wish I lived in a country that was not so dysfunctional and that our community was safer, better, and healthier.

How about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM

29 posts, read 47,585 times
Honest and kind.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
I've always wanted to start up my own non-profit in inner-city communities working with poor mothers and families, and mostly homeless individuals.

I came from a very poor background, so in my hearts of hearts, I've always wanted to help give back to the community I came from.

I know where pain is especially for those disenfranchised, who have it less, and I wish I had more to give.

I'd love to be a change-maker in society, to help those who don't have a voice to now finally DO!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
I am 67.5 years old and, though I have been 'forcibly retired by the economy' for the past 3 years, I can honestly say that I AM the person I always wanted to be. Am I perfect? No. Could I be better? Yes.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
I can't rep on this tablet but great topic OP.

I'm heading toward 50 and I'm still wondering what I want to be when I grow up.

More Love would be top of the list same as you.

A wonderful partner.

I want to travel

I want to start my own successful business

I want to learn to love myself instead of having good days and bad weeks

Eh....that's as far as I ever get...

Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
....How about you guys?
I'm a 27-year-old guy and a big one for me is wishing I had been the type of person who had a bigger and more complete family structure. I also wish I had grown up in and been truly part of a real (and decent) community. I see people who grew up in large families, as well as within the same community (whether it be a town or very stable part of a metro area) with all of the same people all through school and where their community is sort of like their extended family, and feel like I missed out and am at a disadvantage. I've thought about different styles, everything from small town/country to WASP-y, but what I wish I'd had really boils down to what I describe, no matter what the flavor. What's described in this song would have been fine, as long as I was happy:

John Deere Green- Joe Diffey - YouTube

On the other end of the spectrum, I've always admired the WASP-y urban upper-middle/upper class and country club set and wish I could be a guy like Edward Montgomery on Dharma and Greg. A genteel Southern family, community, and identity would be cool too.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
I think I am who I want to be...

I'm:

passionate, about love, life & lots of other things

kind

faithful (when in a LTR)

hard working

curious

open minded

eager to learn new things

determined to achieve my intentions

devoted to the ppl I love

I'm also a non conformist.....

I could keep going, but I won't, lol

Only thing I really wanna do at this point is travel......

Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I have dreamed about being a model, famous, etc. when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I realize I wouldn't want to and don't need to be those things.

How about you guys?
I used to want to be famous. Many life experiences have enabled me to have the illusion of it. I modeled for a couple of years. No runway, but Coors Light, radio stations promos, CD cover for a band/fliers, convention work and was a calendar girl twice. It's not what it's cracked up to be and constant restrictive dieting to be camera ready sucks. Photo shoots aren't fun - bunch of awkward poses, being deyhydrated and hungry. I agree with Elizabeth Hurley who said, "It's very boring to stand around and look pretty."

Right now I want to be one of those classy, impeccably dressed trophy wives with a huge rock on my finger, jet-setting to Hawaii with my husband.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm very happy with my life right now, but I wish I was able to maintain more mindfulness about my impact on the world. I want to donate my time to different charitable and political causes, but I have severe ADD and getting that off the ground is difficult when I have a life so full of distractions. I have many friends and family whom I value and I find that I tend to devote a good chunk of my time to maintaining those relationships.

I'd like to be more mindful in general. About how I impact the world, about what I eat and how I maintain my health, and about how I treat people. But there are so many distractions!

I guess when you get down to it, the great struggle of my life has been dealing with my ADD and achieving happiness despite it. I think I'm at a point in my life where I can start to look past achieving happiness and start to work for other things though. The ADD will always be a part of me, and I just need to keep it in check if I want to achieve more.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
I used to want to be a Disney Channel star, but I'm glad that I didn't because look at how they turn out:

Lol, in all seriousness:

I'd like to be a speech-langauge pathologist, which is what I'm in school for. I'd like to find 2 good friends. The friends that I have don't know how to keep in touch. I'd like to be both physically and mentally healthy. I'd like to help others with their journey towards losing weight (after I figure out how) and battling depression. I'd like to help victims of bullying.

I hope to be a wife someday and if I can be a mom, too, that'd be awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology