Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,275 times

Advertisements

MANY years ago when I was young & foolish & full of "**** & vinegar," I heard a couple of co-workers joking around, having fun, etc. One told the other in a light-hearted manner to "Go Buck A Fuzzard." I thought that was just THE cleverest thing ever! Well, a little later on, I thought I'd be cute & funny & try it on my supervisor.....YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. I was extremely lucky that he was so good-natured about it and did not lose my job. Yes, I learned a lesson that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
I recently asked a gal if she was pregnant ......... (she said no) ........ I was so mortified that I had asked such a taboo question

Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am literally too embarrassed to put what I did here.

But enjoy reading y'all's.
O.K. Stan....spill it....

Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
O.K. Stan....spill it....
It is really terrible and unprofessional and stupid.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We've all put our foot in our mouth before. Sometimes it's truly accidental, and sometimes I think we have a subconscious reason for saying something we say to someone. Tell us something you said and why - and how you and the other person handled it.
It wasn't something that I said, it was something that I did; my reaction. I was in high school, standing on the front steps before school started for the day. A friend of mine was upset and told me that her aunt had just died.

I do not know why, and it was out before I even knew it was coming out: I started laughing.

No, I did not think it was funny, but I started laughing all the same.

You can guess how ticked off she was with me, and nothing I said could make it better. To this day, I still don't know why I started laughing, I don't find humor in other people's loss like that.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is really terrible and unprofessional and stupid.
Can't be any worse than any of the rest of us (or can it…)?!!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Going to a community college a long long time ago I was aquainted with a girl in one of my classes.
She had just recently married...The next time I saw her I asked how she and her husband were doing..
She burst into tears and said she had just buried him the Saturday before.(Vietnam War)..I said how
sorry I was but I wished I hadn't opened my mouth at all..

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It wasn't something that I said, it was something that I did; my reaction. I was in high school, standing on the front steps before school started for the day. A friend of mine was upset and told me that her aunt had just died.

I do not know why, and it was out before I even knew it was coming out: I started laughing.

No, I did not think it was funny, but I started laughing all the same.

You can guess how ticked off she was with me, and nothing I said could make it better. To this day, I still don't know why I started laughing, I don't find humor in other people's loss like that.
It's how some people respond to like ridiculous or extreme news or grief even. Apparently when John Lennon heard his mother had died he burst out laughing - but he loved her dearly, and grieved in a more conventional manner later on (even though he was raised by his aunt for the most part). So no, someone laughing at bad news doesn't mean they are making light of it or anything.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Many years ago, I told an incredibly racist, nasty joke to a black coworker. Don't know why it came out of my mouth but it did. Or what the hell possessed me to tell it because I never tell jokes...don't have the knack for it. The look of hurt and dismay on his face embarrasses me 30 years later.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I remember when we were told not to say the phrase 'easy peasy Japanesy', not sure if you're familiar with that phrase. Instead it became, 'easy peasy lemon squeazy' lmao. Or the end of eenie meenie miney mo, 'catch a n****r by the toe' was replaced by 'tiger'.
OMG my childhood will never be the same again, we used to sing that with the tiger term. :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology