Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

People getting shot for texting, people complaining about kids in restaurants, road rage, people spray painting on old folks cars for havng grands in a 55+ community. Stand your ground laws gone crazy,,,
what is going on?? Are we loosing it? Does the media have us all in fear?- Why are we inflicting our views as law.. are we the bullys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
I wonder this everyday. Maybe it is a combination of the internet, news and having a small child. I just feel like ppl are so intolerant of anything outside of their comfort zone. I have older ppl glare at me when I bring my son in to a family type restaurant. My step dad comes to my house and gets annoyed when my son plays with his toys while he is trying to watch our tv with the volume really loud. When I am out at the store, everyone is pushy and in a hurry. I see ppl driving through my neighborhood that get annoyed when they have to stop for the school buses that are getting kids for school. I have had many encounters even on CD where I expressed my views and opinions in a polite civil manner yet the responses back are full of intolerance. I guess it is just the norm in society today to be intolerant of others. It does make me sad since my son will grow up with it being the norm.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM

534 posts, read 905,049 times
I think that all the changes we see each day in society are the driving force to a lot of discontent. Plus our disconnected society (courtesy of ILife), gives us no connection to reality. We are all retreating to worlds of our making, yet we yearn for human touch. I think the separation we seek is what makes people so willing to "stand your ground".
To me a perfect reflection is our NRA lifestyle...shoot first then talk.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

I have to say that when I lived in the UK from 2007-2012 it opened up my eyes a lot. I had been living in FL for 15 years then to living in a small village outside of London. I loved it. Everyone was kind, life was just about necessities. Walk in to town to get your bread, everything close that you needed. When you went in to London you took public transport and were surrounded by ppl from all different countries speaking different languages. Things like driving were a privileged not considered a necessity.They pay higher taxes to look after the less fortunate. They were energy conscientious and aware because so many ppl live in such a small country. It seemed to be a more proactive way of living than a reactive. Even the new was different. I know theres crime everywhere and intolerance but here is just seems that we are so spread out that until something happens in your little world, it just doesnt matter.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
NYTimes: Reflections on “The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations" by Christopher Lasch

BTW, one of the cardinal symptoms of clinical Narcissism is the absence of empathy, which makes it so easy to abuse others in the first place. And even aside from the 'everyday' issues mentioned in the OP, isn't it odd that we've now become a country which approves of "enhanced interrogation techniques" like "water boarding" (aka, torture), even though we once considered it unthinkable in WW II?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Empathy is another thing we are lacking.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Because parents, shool, media and society does not teach accepting values.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:26 PM

196 posts, read 424,546 times
Good old fashioned courtesy has disappeared.

The golden rule, "Treat others as you would like them to treat you" is no longer in vogue. That is, unless most people want others to treat them like they're a jackwagon.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
People getting shot for texting, people complaining about kids in restaurants, road rage, people spray painting on old folks cars for havng grands in a 55+ community. Stand your ground laws gone crazy,,,
what is going on?? Are we loosing it? Does the media have us all in fear?- Why are we inflicting our views as law.. are we the bullys?
Crime rates are at a 40-year low in the United States.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2012

Your perception is due to the 24-hour news cycle and an internet which magnifies every little thing until you think things are 'worse than ever'.

But they're not.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
I don't know if people or more rude (angry) today than before, but the internet gives these bozo's a platform. Read any news article online and look at the discussions. I use to post my opinion/comment on the articles and anybody who doesn't agree with what I say comes back with a nasty comment directed at me. Even words like you should die or be whipped. I stopped participating in the discussions and rarely look to see what others have posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology