Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about those who have obvious mental challenges. This article just sent me reeling:

Man calls 911 after wife's zipper gets stuck | kgw.com Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times
Probably because his parents never let him do anything for himself. Never let him experience failure or frustration or the need to solve a problem.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Mommy and Daddy always took care of everything. Yes, it happens.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Mommy and Daddy always took care of everything. Yes, it happens.
My friend told me how his tenants wouldn't pay the rent until he fixed the light in the
hallway...very adamantly, lots of attitude...4 college girls...the bulb had burned out.
He stood amazed.

My other friend's daughter, 24, left alone in Fl, parents moved away, ruined the car they bought her....
She never checked the oil, didn't pay any attention to "that light".

Oh, yeah, it's parents all the way, imo.

But I understand the extreme stupidity of the guy calling 911, may be diff.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 AM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My other friend's daughter, 24, left alone in Fl, parents moved away, ruined the car they bought her....
She never checked the oil, didn't pay any attention to "that light".

Oh, yeah, it's parents all the way, imo.
Oh I dunno. Often, likely, but I've known plenty of parents who did their best to insert common sense into their children's heads and none of it sticks. In part it's because until one's mid-twenties the wiring isn't complete, especially in areas relating to cause and effect. That is why the young ignore warning (lights) and take stupid risks and are so readily goaded into groupthink by peers. They just don't think the rules apply to them, sometimes despite repeated experience to the contrary. The car is just "supposed to" be there for them and not malfunction. Or as I recently witnessed here in this college town, the traffic is just "supposed to" stop or not be there because some girl who was scraping snow and ice off her car couldn't be bothered to close her wide-open driver's side door and had to take plenty of space to walk out into the street around it to get to other parts of the car, etc. The kids here never even look before crossing the street. In part because the local law says you must always stop for pedestrians and they just assume you see them and aren't from out of town; in part because many are Asian and in many Asian countries, there are very different social contracts between pedestrians and drivers than there traditionally are here.

I live in terror for my stepdaughter, who is very bright in general terms but dumb enough to go into a bar recently with companions she did not know during winter break and got slipped a Mickey and came very close to being "date raped". Fortunately the rapist did not take her small size into account and she passed out cold right in the bar. Her "friends" dumped her at the entrance to her dorm and fled the scene; fortunately the security guard got her to a hospital, where they spent about 12 hours reviving her. Her attitude is at least temporarily humbled / embarrassed but she still very much has the attitude that she can handle herself, thank you very much. She didn't even tell us about it until 2 weeks later. And with most universities long since having abandoned in loco parentis, we have no say in it.

All this, despite years of very deliberate coaching about such situations and personal safety, being sat in front of episodes of To Catch a Predator, etc. To the young, common sense rules just don't apply to them.

I've learned never to judge a parent by their child. Or even, really, to judge the child, up to a certain age. Just because they are not still "buns in the oven" doesn't mean they aren't still rising and cooling off.

As a friend of mine once said of his wayward nephew that he ended up in custody of, "I realized very early on that my main job was to keep him alive until he was on his own". Some kids are just like that, sadly.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Bright means nothing if practical teaching isn't done.
I'm bright, but if no one taught me to make a roast or take out a spark plug,
because it was always done for me and no one said ' watch and learn'...I won't know.
Sorry. And no judging involved. It was left out or forgotten by the "teacher".

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I'm bright, but if no one taught me to make a roast or take out a spark plug...
If you were "bright', no one would have to. You could find out on your own.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you were "bright', no one would have to.
You could find out on your own.
I'm obviously not making myself as clear as I need to, sorry.

If I'm in my 20's ( which I was referencing...my head is on boys, my red skirt,
the next CD...)
If my Dad left me alone for the first time in another state, never once teaching me
this sentence: "Watch all your lights bec if a car's engine runs out of oil it freezes up.
It"a like your body without blood...and you'll ruin the car and be left stranded."

If she never saw anyone EVER put oil in, check the oil...she isn't aware of it.
I would never think for a min she was stupid or 'not bright'...she was never taught this one thing.
She didn't even know to ask.

Now, that being said, I admit it is a touchy subject for me because my parents taught me so little
YET, they were so quick to ridicule me as a teen or at 9 if I didn't know something...
Well, excuse me for living...was what I was left with.
"Just show me don't make me feel stupid for not knowing something"
It's called kindness, love and patience.

Now, calling 911 like in the op, I really do not understand, psychologically.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:14 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,707 times
Apparently some people believe that it is not possible to learn anything unless someone else thinks of every little thing in the world you would ever need to know and then sits you down and specifically points it out or teaches it to you. If that were true, how does anything new ever get discovered? If that were true, most of the human race would have been eaten by bears or fallen off mountains by now or something.

How do other people figure out how to do something they don't know how to do? Just as an example, cars come with user manuals that contain all sorts of useful information about maintenance and whatnot. If the owner is too lazy to read it, that's not the fault of anyone but the person who was too lazy to read it and learn how to maintain the car. Many people who have never made a roast have done so successfully by reading one of those cookbook things. Or googling "how to make a roast." Or asking someone who knows how to make a roast. Not every failure is someone else's fault.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I'm wondering how old the caller was? It may have been someone elderly. One of my husbands calls was from an elderly man that called the police because his bathroom was flooding. John went over and turned off the shut off valve to an over flowing toilet. Something so simple but they just didn't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology