Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times

Advertisements

Over the years, I have been on forums where I have noticed individual posters have over 50K posts on one forum! I know I have spent too much time here, but definitely not that much. I've been drawn to online forums for a long time now. Some people spend too much time online and not enough time elsewhere (being offline), and I am probably in that camp as well.

I tend to suspect some of these people have a hard time with mobility (or are retired) and are somewhat confined where they are in their homes. Having the internet handy is great outlet for some of them to share their thoughts in many posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:50 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
It can be an addiction. I freely admit I'm addicted to this board.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Some people just find it necessary to contribute their two cents no matter what the topic. There are some categories I don't even look at, much less contribute. But I do enjoy seeing other people's viewpoints and life experiences. It's interesting.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Forget Seniors! Many people are very lonely and the Internet provides a outlet to bond with others and share similar interests.
Exactly.

Plus, when you relocate to another place (these forums got their start as a place to ask re-location questions), it is not as if you make new friends immediately there.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
For me, I wouldn't spend a minute at CD in my private time.

Unfortunately, I have a job that mainly consists of being present and pretty. But I have to look busy and can't read a book - which I would prefer - so I am hanging around on CD.

I don't waste any minute outside of work here and generally limit my internet time to a minimun. I either study for college or rather go outside and do stuff or hang out with my dog. So you won't find me here after 3:30 pm or between Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.

I have noticed that the most judgmental and fight crazy posters here who act like they got it all together are the ones who are losers in their own life. People can be desperate and ask for advice and get bashed and insulted by people who never got their crap together and did way worse stuff. I only know because I then suddenly read pieces of their story on some other threads and puzzle the pieces together.

I partially post real advice that comes from my heart and I sometimes try to take the seriousness out with some jokes - without being offensive - but of course some people jump on that and bash me.
I like the term "fight crazy posters". Yep, I bet we can all think of one of those. Maybe even the same one - haha. But it comes from a place of mental instability IMO.

This place probably has its ups and downs in traffic, especially when the weather changes.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I suppose I'm a "mega poster" but I really don't identify with the description and hardly post on this forum that often. As least not as much as I used to. I've never looked at my status and points as validation for who I am or my opinions. There just as valid as a newbie's. I consider myself simply another person in this world with an opinion that respects others.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM

45 posts, read 79,828 times
I thought the thread title intent was geared to serial posters who post countless posts everywhere, just to post anything. those aside, these forums are priceless as far as input and opinions, and discussions regarding various topics and interests, could spend hours reading on here when i can't sleep open thanks to participants in th tech, Hawai'i and some other sections! i have pet but its more like a facebook wall over there in that section ps i stay out of the political controversies section

Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I suppose I'm a "mega poster" but I really don't identify with the description and hardly post on this forum that often. As least not as much as I used to. I've never looked at my status and points as validation for who I am or my opinions. There just as valid as a newbie's. I consider myself simply another person in this world with an opinion that respects others.

That's a good "balanced" view.

Got addicted to the Games section for a few months, but I'm done with that-those account for 2/3 of my posts.

I don't consider myself an expert on anything other than my own life so far. Rarely do I give advice, occasionally I offer my humble opinion.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I do it because I find the subjects interesting. I don't think I'm a mega-poster.

And, I have nothing else to keep my mind alive at the moment.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Default so ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
For me, I wouldn't spend a minute at CD in my private time.

Unfortunately, I have a job that mainly consists of being present and pretty. But I have to look busy and can't read a book - which I would prefer - so I am hanging around on CD.

I don't waste any minute outside of work here and generally limit my internet time to a minimun. I either study for college or rather go outside and do stuff or hang out with my dog. So you won't find me here after 3:30 pm or between Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.

I have noticed that the most judgmental and fight crazy posters here who act like they got it all together are the ones who are losers in their own life. People can be desperate and ask for advice and get bashed and insulted by people who never got their crap together and did way worse stuff. I only know because I then suddenly read pieces of their story on some other threads and puzzle the pieces together.

I partially post real advice that comes from my heart and I sometimes try to take the seriousness out with some jokes - without being offensive - but of course some people jump on that and bash me.
Same here-I do a bit here and there, but it isn't enough to keep my brain from rotting, so I come to CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology