Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

For those that think that being attractive doesn't make things easier - which would you rather be? Attractive or average? Like I said, being attractive is no guarantee of happiness and it doesn't make everything easier - but it definitely is an advantage in many areas of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
It's an advantage. That's all there is to it. At the end of the day, we're all animals, and survival of the fittest and natural selection come into play for humans, too. Someone who is perceived as good looking is going to have better choices for sexual partners, will make a better initial impression than someone who is ugly, and of course that can have benefits when applying for jobs, and a lot of other things.

About the only time being unattractive is going to be a positive is if you're trapped with an attractive person, being chased by a serial killer who only likes to kill attractive people.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Being good-looking opens doors but it has an expiration date. Very few people stay good looking even til they are old.

Women being the direct beneficiary of good looks are most effected by it and there's only a window of how long their good looks will carry them.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Ask George Clooney. I think I can vouch that he would say being beautiful gets him about 100 offers per day from women (and men, likely) for a roll in the hay, for offers to star in movies, and about 100 other things that makes his life a piece of cake.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It's an advantage. That's all there is to it. At the end of the day, we're all animals, and survival of the fittest and natural selection come into play for humans, too. Someone who is perceived as good looking is going to have better choices for sexual partners, will make a better initial impression than someone who is ugly, and of course that can have benefits when applying for jobs, and a lot of other things.

About the only time being unattractive is going to be a positive is if you're trapped with an attractive person, being chased by a serial killer who only likes to kill attractive people.
More pop cultural evolutionary theory. Natural selection is supposed to be the process where undesirable traits are eventually eliminated from the gene pool. But if that is the case then why do "ugly people" still exist? They should have been bred out of existence long ago. Quite frankly put this "natural selection" thing doesn't really pan out in a civilized human society.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:06 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,385 times
There are people who are exceptionally attractive, and I do think there are benefits to be gained from that, however short term.

I think MOST other people, though, can be reasonably attractive (or at least not unattractive) by dressing in a way that is flattering to their body type, having a decent haircut, being generally clean and neat, and having a reasonable set of social skills. I have met very few people in my life who were really physically homely, and even then a bright smile and attractive personality can quickly make up for a lot. The key is confidence in that case, and I suppose it's hard to be confident if you really believe you are ugly.

Most people I've seen who look kind of "homely" are really average looking people who haven't taken the time to wash/comb their hair, dress properly for the setting and their body type, or take some care with their complexion. I think part of my reaction to such people is a subconscious judgment that they don't seem to care much about how they present themselves to others, so I might assume they are unfriendly, antisocial, or hostile (or yes, maybe not so bright). So my automatic response to them might not be a welcoming one. Not saying it's right, but I think it's true.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 PM

723 posts, read 869,166 times
All other things being equal, of course they do. People unquestionably react nicer to better looking people, there's not even any debate at this point.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
Academic studies have shown higherr wages/faster promotions for "good looking" people. Same holds for taller males (don't know about taller females - I haven't read any studies that specifically look at tall females).

I suspect there is a curvealinear relationship though, as in, there may be a point of being so good looking or so tall that it actually becomes a detriment to promotions and higher wages.

I read an interesting study once that explored the question "What is good looking?" The researchers concluded that perfectly average in all facial features is what people cite as good looking - so if average nose length, width, depth and nostril size of a population sample is 2.5 inches x .75 inches x .5 inches X .25r is the average in the population sample, then someone with a nose with those exact dimensions would have a "good looking" nose.

The study was not intended to adress the changing standards of beauty over time, but actually it does that to, because over time facial dimensions (and what is the average) changes, so a beautiful women or handsome man from 1910 may leave us scrachting our heads about why someone so ugly could be thought of as beautiful/handsome.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Yep I worked in a company and we needed help.

It was a upper tier type place, or fancied itself to be.

One of the guys got a promotion and a woman was hired (temporarily) to take his place.

The CEO was away at the time but when he got back he said "who allowed her in my office? She has to go, she's not Corporate looking" meaning, I kid you not, the poor lady was overweight.

The CEO himself was an enormous fat porker, but the WOMEN working in the company had to be slim.

All to do with the Corporate Image.

This wasn't that long ago. Even now they still hire skinny blondes, regardless if they are qualified or not.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Sure looks can get you "so far"...but really you could be obese, unattractive with a
skin issue...and if you are walking around with an angelic loving vibe or aura....people
would bend over backwards for you they are so hungry for genuine love,wisdom, spiritual
guidance, and acceptance even if they are Brad Pitt.

People want LOVE, not pretty people.

(Meaning kindness, acceptance, gentleness, help, non judgment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology