Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

<snipped>

I was violently and completely unexpectedly raped by an acquaintance when I was in college. This was not a case of date rape - we weren't on any sort of date and no drinking or drugs were involved - it was in the middle of the day and not only was I completely shocked, I was traumatized. This was the one time in my life when I internalized a lot of my anxiety and psychological damage - and I did learn from that experience in many ways. I bottled it up, didn't address my emotional needs or my anger, didn't press charges, didn't seek medical attention, wouldn't let myself think about it, did all the wrong things psychologically, and I paid for that dearly over time.

<snipped>
Did you later think you should have filed charges and perhaps he would still be in prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
How do you deal with a life changing experience that traumatizes you psychologically and scars you emotionally for life? It doesn't necessarily need to be a life and death situation, just something profoundly sad and tragic that have an adverse impact to your outlook of life, life experience and perception of people in general.
Time and work and finding aspects to make you content which leads to happiness. Eventually, everything fades away.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
well then dwell on them and keep crying

when I was younger I was told that basic attitude about my mother being killed when I was 3

and GUESS WHAT - it works to an extent!
It helps get a thicker skin so you can move on ...
but hey!
a dead mom ain't squat to a non death trauma!
sometimes tough love helps!

Whatever ... life is real

its not warm & fuzzy ...

Life is not some romance novel with a perfect everything!

FACT IS: there are things worse than a non-death trauma and THAT IS REALITY!

Look at the suffering our Military kids are dealing with ... stack it up against that!
Things are not neatly divided into death & non death trauma...
Some people develop thick skin to cope but lose the ability to be compassionate...

Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Did you later think you should have filed charges and perhaps he would still be in prison?
I think he actually IS in prison. He was about the time I thought about filing charges.

It would have been very difficult to prove years after the event, by the way. There were no witnesses and I didn't go to the doctor.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My method is the easy way out. I just pick up the basket of crap that lands in my head and pass it up to God. "here. please take care of this for me and don't let me think about it" It works really well for me cuz I know He loves me and wants to help me.
I’m a religious person myself. This is also how I deal with it on the spiritual level, but I’m still struggling on daily basis. It’s tough trying to put it behind. My traumatic incident happened in 2008. I still have problem with it six years later. I’m not sure if it is PTSD but I do experience similar symptoms. Sight, sound and sometimes remotely related or even seemingly unrelated things can bring it back to surface. It’s a terrible experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point in all this is that yes - we need to be introspective to a point. But there's a big difference between working through something with a sense of purpose and a determination to overcome it, and allowing ourselves to wallow in self pity or fear.
Very well said. Sorry to learn about your horrific ordeal. You’re a tough survivor.

Thanks all for your inputs and support. God bless.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I’m a religious person myself. This is also how I deal with it on the spiritual level, but I’m still struggling on daily basis. It’s tough trying to put it behind. My traumatic incident happened in 2008. I still have problem with it six years later. I’m not sure if it is PTSD but I do experience similar symptoms. Sight, sound and sometimes remotely related or even seemingly unrelated things can bring it back to surface. It’s a terrible experience.

Very well said. Sorry to learn about your horrific ordeal. You’re a tough survivor.

Thanks all for your inputs and support. God bless.
It sounds like you do have some PTSD - which is, by the way, a NORMAL reaction. My son has PTSD after spending 20 months in a combat zone in Iraq. His counselor told him, "PTSD is a normal reaction to a very abnormal event or series of events." That makes sense to me.

Are your reactions to stimuli lessening over time? If so, that's very good and should continue.

I mentioned that I still can't stand rape scenes in movies or on TV. Sometimes I have to get up and leave the room. I don't make a big stink out of it or run screaming from the room, but it's just something that I will probably never feel casual or comfortable watching. I'm OK with that.

But prior to DEALING with the memories and subsequent guilt, self destructive tendencies, etc. I couldn't even bear to think about it. Now I can teach classes at the womens' shelter, describing my experience and emotions in great detail, and it doesn't bother me at all. I had to process the event, MAKE myself recall it, think through it, and forgive myself for my own poor decisions afterward. It's like I had to assimilate it into my life, into the fabric of my being, into my own personal history. Yes, I'll even go so far to say this - I had to acknowledge and even embrace that even this event is something that shaped who I am today. I like myself, and I might not be who I am today if it wasn't for that day 30 years ago. That's just the simple truth of it. It is what it is and I am who I am.

Could you apply any of that to your situation, OP?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,089 times
I'm glad you have the strength to turn it into something so positive and inspiring which is highly commendable.

As for my situation, I'm trying to deal with it in my own way which is slow and difficult. It doesn't help with my tendency to take people and things way too seriously even with those that don't deserve to be taken seriously. I also tend to blame myself on a lot things, sometimes even things that seemingly have nothing to do with me. It's a silly sickness which I'm trying hard to cure myself. I need to learn how to let go and take things easy. There're a lot of things and people that don't deserve my attention at all.

I've been quite ill for the past ten years. I have enough to deal with. I can really do without this PTSD thing.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

75 posts, read 99,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Depends on what you consider traumatizing ...

If it's not a lost life ...
You get over it and learn from it.

Thats life!

Remember this:

There are always others who have been more traumatized than you

unfortunately - that is life!
THINGS HAPPEN ... just how life is!

This is not helpful at all.

One persons trauma doesn't negate or remove the pain of another person's trauma. Somebody else has it worse, so what? How is that helpful to the OP?

To say "get over it" and suggest it's just a part of life is not helpful in any way shape or form. It makes a traumatized person feel insignificant, worthless, hopeless and even more alone.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:43 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
I will be paying close attention to this thread & am thankful for the opinions stated here. I finally sought help this year after not being able to move on. My husband's death was ugly in every way. But in talking it out with a professional, I am finally facing the more traumatizing events that occurred in my formative years. Those events shaped the kind of person I became - one who straightaway married into a dysfunctional relationship.

OP, I finally see that I will never get over the events that scarred me. I used to be so envious of the people who DID get over their own battles....until I saw that it was not that they actually got over them per se....more like they have learned how to go on "around" them.

I hope this thread will help you and I'm glad you started it.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
It’s tough trying to put it behind. My traumatic incident happened in 2008. I still have problem with it six years later.
It wasn't until I was 40 that I realized what had happened to me before I was even a teenager. So I had a bit of a slap upside my head HOWEVER I took courses in Victim Advocacy with the AF then the Navy. Wow it made me face the facts of those events and it also taught me a lot about my own behavior (much of it self-destructive).

If you were victimized you are not at fault. But the world doesn't always get it. Like the armed NYPD male who was assaulted. Then re-victimized by his fellow officers.

Searching for Angela Shelton is an interesting film.

Just know you aren't alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology