Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:18 AM

728 posts, read 472,303 times

Advertisements

There are so many benefits of being single, some seem to think it's the worst thing that could happen to them. I know one woman who keeps someone else lined up when things go south with who they're with.

I'm the opposite, if anything. Do you think it's a self worth issue? You can avoid lots of pain staying single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 12:28 AM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Yes, I do think it's a self-worth issue. Some people need to have another person around all the time in order to feel whole and validated.

I'm afraid of being alone for that reason and others. I'm married now, but we have no children or close family. He's 77 and not in good health. When he goes, I'm going to be alone, probably sometime during my 70s. I'm absolutely terrified of living alone in our house. When Mr. Bay was on an overnight shift and I was home alone all night, every little squeak and rattle had me convinced that a prowler was in the house. I probably won't sleep much at first, but I hope I'll adjust.

But I know what you're talking about is something entirely different. While I don't look forward to being alone, in a way I think I will enjoy being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want to, and not having to answer to anyone else. I wish I had appreciated that freedom more when I was single, but I was so insecure I became a serial monogamist, went from one relationship to another just so I didn't have to be alone.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 AM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
l can't even imagine where really , some self worth stuff comes from for simply wanting such a perfectly natural human thing as a partner.
Really , mumbo jumbo if you ask me.

For me no fancy stuff or rocket science needed , it's very very simple.
l love living that way , this is really the first time l've been single since l was 15. l had gfs before then l was married 20yrs , l prefer life as a couple any day to life as a single , it's just what l prefer.

l don't mind a lot of things about being single now, it sure is hassle free and easy compared to a coupled life but , l don't kid myself l still know which l prefer all things considered and if the right girl comes along just one more time, l'll be in it for life from here.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:27 AM

641 posts, read 405,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
There are so many benefits of being single, some seem to think it's the worst thing that could happen to them. I know one woman who keeps someone else lined up when things go south with who they're with.

I'm the opposite, if anything. Do you think it's a self worth issue? You can avoid lots of pain staying single.
It's natural enough to want to be in a relationship but there's an issue with people who can't be single and will jump straight into another relationship after one ends so they won't be alone for 5 minutes. That's very deep insecurity and also stops them being able to take stock and reflect after a relationship ends. You do get a lot of people who won't end a relationship without having another one lined up.

A lot of younger women are flooded with regular attention and admirers so never need to be single, therefore it would need to be a personal choice. There's more younger men who are involuntarily single.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 AM

Yeah l can see what your saying there and lve know people like that.
Can't do that shyt myself not interested,

But incandescently , l wonder what the out come into old age is with people that do that ? Like eventually one of them turns into a life partner or they just keep on hopping until they just can't anymore.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,507 times
The older you get, the less appealing living alone becomes.

Plus, we're all so very different. As another poster mentioned, I also get a little freaked by every squeak, rattle and noise in the house, but I am a trauma survivor, so I have good reasons for the "exaggerated startle response."

Living alone is great fun if you're young, but I think it loses some appeal as you get older.

Right now, I have a roommate and it's a blessing for both of us. That has been an answer for me.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:32 AM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
The older you get, the less appealing living alone becomes.
Plus, we're all so very different. As another poster mentioned, I also get a little freaked by every squeak, rattle and noise in the house, but I am a trauma survivor, so I have good reasons for the "exaggerated startle response."

Living alone is great fun if you're young, but I think it loses some appeal as you get older.

Right now, I have a roommate and it's a blessing for both of us. That has been an answer for me.
But why is that? Is it something rooted in our biology/psyche or just plain old irrational fear?

Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I was widowed almost 8 years ago when I was 55 but my adult son was living with me up until 6 months ago. At first I was nervous being alone in a single family house all by myself but I live in a nice area and have an alarm system. After a few months I truly enjoyed living alone. My time is my own to do what I want whenever I want. I have chosen not to even date and cause any complications in my life. I work two days a week, love working on my house and garden and feel no need for companionship. My friends don't live near me but I do have one neighbor who I am friendly with who is around the same age as I am.

Some of those people who are afraid of being alone have never been by themselves. My sister's husband travels out of the country 3 weeks out of 4 and she hates being alone despite living in an extremely safe neighborhood. She always has the TV on for "company".

We are all wired differently, an introvert enjoys solitude where an extrovert hates it. The only thing I frown on is a person who has to be in a relationship at all times. They don't give themselves any time to find out why a relationship didn't work, they just jump into another one asap.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
But why is that? Is it something rooted in our biology/psyche or just plain old irrational fear?

Humans as a rule in nature weren't designed to live solo , we were designed to have a mate for life, breed and have a family and tribe.
A lot of bird species mate for life and with some if one dies chances are the other one will too soon after, broken heart.
So it's no wonder a lot of people living alone miss true companionship.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
^^^ Edit: wizard
A lone human is a dead human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology