Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

So I finished reading his 141 page manifesto (yes, couldn't help myself) and what struck me, time and time again, was the sheer extent of his jealousy and rage. It was an overriding obsession that consumed his very being, blackened his soul, and caused him to even contemplate killing his own brother! Even those he was nice to: if they were popular or had girlfriends or were having sex, this turned any potential feelings of positivity into hatred.

For instance, whenever he saw couples together he would fly into a jealous rage, and often run away and cry for hours about it, or scream and wail. He would often wish death on them. On several occasions he threw coffee at couples he was envious of. Obviously, this is no garden variety bitter person. This is something else altogether. It's like all his life he fed this beast - the green eyed monster - maybe he was incapable of rationalising away this?

Of course, he had a ridiculously entitled mentality. He believe he deserved not only the unconditional attention of beautiful blonde women, but wealthy (he called his mother selfish for not marrying a rich man so he could have a better life), and once lamented the 'universe has no justice' because he didn't win the lottery! He seemed pretty deluded as well, out of touch with reality.

I won't go into what mental diagnosis he might or might have had, but what on earth causes someone to be so consumed with murderous jealousy? I think at it's root it's just pride - he was also an egoist, refer to himself as being like a 'god', magnificent.etc, and despite purportedly being looked down upon all the time showed the same contempt for others, those he saw as less good looking, or those of other races.

It's funny although he claimed women were so unattracted to him, the evidence for this seems mostly the fact they didn't throw themselves at him. There were a couple of rude/mean girls, but no more than any normal person would experience. He never even seriously tried pursuing or even befriending women, or asked any out on a date, so I don't know what he was expecting. He would frequently say, 'if I had asked her out on a date she would reject me or think I was a creep, women/the world are so cruel.'

I'm convinced there was something really obsessive about his personality, definitely. It's almost like this jealousy was a physical ailment, a pain to him. Not to justify it, but it seemed almost like he was possessed by jealousy, like a demon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,273 times
I think he had some of that obsessive/compulsive disorder. Just a very mentally ill person...horribly so.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I think he had some of that obsessive/compulsive disorder. Just a very mentally ill person...horribly so.
Yes obsession was obviously involved, something beyond normal grudges. While his views were misogynist, racist, and all that, I think those things alone rarely make sane people do something like this. It was obviously JEALOUSY was at the root of it all.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
I read his manifesto, too, and he was truly obsessed with the couples who supposedly had what he didn't. It was interesting how he objectified not only women (beautiful blondes) but also the men they were with (obnoxious brutes). In the end, he was his own worst enemy. He spent way too much time inside his head, ruminating about the "injustice" done to him. In reality, he couldn't function in society, because everywhere he went there were couples supposedly rubbing their happiness in his face. That's odd, too, that he took it so personally. He kept dropping classes because of these encounters, but he felt that a retail job was beneath him. He was definitely a piece of work, and I doubt even the best, prettiest girlfriend in the world would have truly pacified him.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I read his manifesto, too, and he was truly obsessed with the couples who supposedly had what he didn't. It was interesting how he objectified not only women (beautiful blondes) but also the men they were with (obnoxious brutes). In the end, he was his own worst enemy. He spent way too much time inside his head, ruminating about the "injustice" done to him. In reality, he couldn't function in society, because everywhere he went there were couples supposedly rubbing their happiness in his face. That's odd, too, that he took it so personally. He kept dropping classes because of these encounters, but he felt that a retail job was beneath him. He was definitely a piece of work, and I doubt even the best, prettiest girlfriend in the world would have truly pacified him.
He basically objectified everybody, and the source of that was a sort of superiority complex that might have been his way of somehow feeling better than the world. We can't really know the reasons behind that. Definitely, way too much time obsessing about it. I mean I don't know anyone that extreme where they can't function because of envy, frustration, jealousy, sexual frustration, or whatever.

I agree. It would not solve his problem. He says, 'even if one girl had given me attention the 'Day of Retribution' would not have happened. But think about it for a minute. Let's say he actually does get a girlfriend, and she soon dumps him. There's a good chance this make enrage him even MORE. No, his problems his far more serious than that. He was so deep in this cycle of rage he couldn't escape it.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
He was so deep in this cycle of rage he couldn't escape it.
Certainly not without some significant outside assistance.

Consider the similarities between Elliot Rodger and:

1. James Eagan Holmes, the Aurora Colorado theater shooter in 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Eagan_Holmes

2. Adam Lanza, the shooter at Sandy Hook in 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter in the Virginia Tech Massacre in 2007. Seung-Hui Cho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. David Attias, the perpetrator of the 2001 Isla Vista killings. 2001 Isla Vista killings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These five people were quite different in most respects, but they also had many things in common. All were young adult males (four white, one asian). All had serious mental difficulties that were known by, and of concern to, parents, teachers, mental health professionals and the like. All four of them thought mass violence was not only acceptable, but necessary. To me, the most frightening similarity is how easily they 'fell through the cracks.'

The real puzzler is Alex Hribal, the 16-year-old white male who slashed and stabbed 21 people at his Pennsylvania high school earlier this year. Apparently no one saw it coming. While being restrained by the assistant principal, he is reported to have said, "My work is not done. I have more people to kill." Obviously, he also thought mass violence was both acceptable and necessary. So, in his own way, Alex Hribal 'fell through the cracks' as well.

Folks, this isn't a "gun problem." The weapon-of-choice for David Attias was his 1991 Saab automobile, and for Alex Hribal it was a handful of knives. It is neither a "knife problem" nor a "car problem." It isn't a "video-game problem", a "social media problem", or a "movie problem."

Nope, its a widespread mass-violence problem which makes it a societal (aka system) problem. To deal with it, we're going to be required to get past our nation's predilection for the "simple-quick-fix"; we'll have to abandon our "all ya gotta do is" mentality.

Like the iconic cartoon character Pogo once said, We have seen the enemy, and he is US!

With regards as always,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 06-03-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Certainly not without some significant outside assistance.

Consider the similarities between Elliot Rodger and:

1. James Eagan Holmes, the Aurora Colorado theater shooter in 2012. James Eagan Holmes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Adam Lanza, the shooter at Sandy Hook in 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter in the Virginia Tech Massacre in 2007. Seung-Hui Cho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. David Attias, the perpetrator of the 2001 Isla Vista killings. 2001 Isla Vista killings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These five people were quite different in most respects, but they also had many things in common. All were young adult males (four white, one asian). All had serious mental difficulties that were known by, and of concern to, parents, teachers, mental health professionals and the like. All four of them thought mass violence was not only acceptable, but necessary. To me, the most frightening similarity is how easily they 'fell through the cracks.'

The real puzzler is Alex Hribal, the 16-year-old white male who slashed and stabbed 21 people at his Pennsylvania high school earlier this year. Apparently no one saw it coming. While being restrained by the assistant principal, he is reported to have said, "My work is not done. I have more people to kill." Obviously, he also thought mass violence was both acceptable and necessary. So, in his own way, Alex Hribal 'fell through the cracks' as well.

Folks, this isn't a "gun problem." The weapon-of-choice for David Attias was his 1991 Saab automobile, and for Alex Hribal it was a handful of knives. It is neither a "knife problem" nor a "car problem." It isn't a "video-game problem", a "social media problem", or a "movie problem."

Nope, its a widespread mass-violence problem which makes it a societal (aka system) problem. To deal with it, we're going to be required to get past our nation's predilection for the "simple-quick-fix"; we'll have to abandon our "all ya gotta do is" mentality.

Like the iconic cartoon character Pogo once said, We have seen the enemy, and he is US!

With regards as always,

-- Nighteyes
Someone mentioned that guy who shot women at his gym. He is not a virgin. Just sexless for decades. I don't think it's any weapons' problem or widespread mass-violence problem.

It is OBVIOUSLY a mental health problem. I don't know why the government is not doing anything about this.

The root of Elliott Rodger's extreme jealousy/anger or ANY mass killer/shooter incident is mental/psychological.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
I don't think it's any weapons' problem or widespread mass-violence problem.

It is OBVIOUSLY a mental health problem.
You say 'to-may-toe', I say 'to-mah-toe'. Yes, all of the people I listed had/have mental issues, but the collective consequence is widespread mass violence. And, though I probably don't need to point this out, it has grown more and more common over the past fifteen years. (The Columbine massacre was in 1999.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
I don't know why the government is not doing anything about this.
And THAT's what makes it a societal problem. The "government" is deadlocked over one contributory issue -- gun legislation -- when it ought to be looking at the far larger picture.

Now, to ensure that I give you credit, YES its a mental health issue. My point is that it is NOT on the individual level, but on the system-wide level.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Isn't violence a human problem? I mean violence is part of the human DNA, and exists in all cultures. Anyone in any culture can be triggered to commit acts of atrocity, although some cultures more than others. I think the availability of guns simply facilitates those with those tendencies to go out and murder more easily.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think the availability of guns simply facilitates those with those tendencies to go out and murder more easily.
I notice, The Postman, that you are in Australia. Good on ya! (Yep, I have more than a few internet friends 'down-under'.)

The availability of guns in the United States has facilitated some of our nightmares, yes. However, as I pointed out, they are not the problem; at least, they are not the only problem.

I really don't want our nation to focus on only one of the many HOWs (guns) while completely ignoring the underlying WHATs and WHYs. To do otherwise only ensures that such horrific things will continue.

As an academic example, how much havoc (in other words, how many fatalities) could one determined person cause in a school, a church or a shopping mall, using only a stick of wood that we might call a cricket bat or baseball bat? Would the substitution of something called a "bar stool" make any difference? How about a crow-bar? A tire tool? A screw-driver? A hammer? Or, to take it to the extreme, how about a van filled with improvised explosives? (Oklahoma City, 1995.)

The issue, in my humble opinion, is not the means/methods chosen, but the intents/purposes behind them!

For what its worth, once again:

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 06-03-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology