Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 AM

84 posts, read 138,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Just wanted to ask why transphobia is still widely accepted and almost encouraged by people? I had a pretty bad experience in another section is this forum having bore the brunt of some nasty comments. I just wondered if we will ever live in a time when transphobia is no longer tolerated just as racism and homophobia are not. It just seems to me that people are ignorant for the sake of being ignorant despite their being so much information out there now on the web.
You'll never stop the majority of humanity from finding "transexuality" to be both repulsive and immoral. And that is ultimately what so-called "transphobia" is. Trying to compare it to racism is laughable and insulting, because skin color is not a lifestyle choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
You'll never stop the majority of humanity from finding "transexuality" to be both repulsive and immoral. And that is ultimately what so-called "transphobia" is. Trying to compare it to racism is laughable and insulting, because skin color is not a lifestyle choice.
Saying that being Transgender is a lifestyle choice, is indicative of much ignorance about the subject matter of gender and exactly what it means to have gender dysphoria. People don't choose to be transgender, it's a congenital condition. It's more than just a psychological condition. It's more like a negative psychological condition that has been caused by an abnormal biological condition, that is exacerbated by social societal norms. It is indeed, a very complex situation in which transgender people have been victimized by a set of very unfortunate random circumstances. Circumstances that are both biological and societal. If society allowed for transgenders to freely express themselves and assisted in the facilitation of their welcomed transitions, they would never have an opportunity to have any serious bout with gender dysphoria, because the condition would have been diagnosed early in life (prior to puberty), and the individual would be able to experience a more normal social life.

Gender dysphoria, is more like being a member of a minority ethnic group, than you might think. Just imagine being African-American and living during during Jim-Crow days in the South. I'm most certain that the blacks living there just had to experience some form of anguish, depression, anger, resentment, degradation, embarrassment, hatred, and unfortunately, in some cases, race dysphoria. Some blacks felt as though they actually wanted to be white. Some blacks still wish they were white. even today. If not white, at least lighter in skin color!

Let's just face it! Our society is cruel and unjust! However, it's a thousand times better than most!

That's a very sad commentary on the overall human condition...

* Dysphoria is simply a state of feeling unwell, unhappy, or dissatisfied.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Just wanted to ask why transphobia is still widely accepted and almost encouraged by people? I had a pretty bad experience in another section is this forum having bore the brunt of some nasty comments. I just wondered if we will ever live in a time when transphobia is no longer tolerated just as racism and homophobia are not. It just seems to me that people are ignorant for the sake of being ignorant despite their being so much information out there now on the web.

Unfortunately you cannot control what phobias others have and you cannot control the actions of others either.
Not every human on this planet is accepting of someone considered different by societal standards of normal.
No matter how much information is everywhere some people just don't want to understand or accept and that is all part of being human and having the choice to try to understand or accept.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Unfortunately you cannot control what phobias others have and you cannot control the actions of others either.
Not every human on this planet is accepting of someone considered different by societal standards of normal.
No matter how much information is everywhere some people just don't want to understand or accept and that is all part of being human and having the choice to try to understand or accept.
This is quite true, Amy...

Some people are just gonna deliberately choose to be major Buttholes and there's really nothing anyone can do about it, other than completely eliminate them. I guess that's why human beings have so many wars. It's due to the high percentage of Buttholes living amongst the decent human population...

Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (referenced post has been deleted).

I think if anyone has a phobia about someone, they could try to meet some people in real life and then see how they feel after. Some people are just not around anyone different than them and they listen to others who may have a negative viewpoint, but i tell you, get around others that you're not used to and you may find they are ok. others who are prejudiced can often blab their prejudiced viewpoints around and the others will start beleiving things from that point of view. so go and see for yourself. then decide about it. make up your own mind.

"I am born this way" I feel one kind of person CAN fit that.. people called "intersex" which used to be "hermaphrodite". it is when a person is actually born with genitalia of both sexes. the doctor at birth has often decided to determine which sex that person is going to grow up in. sometimes the child is not told when he is grown up, but when puberty or even sooner happens, that person realizes they are in the wrong gender they they have been brought up. so i beleive this is a totally biological thing and not a spiritual thing and for intersexed people, they need to find out who they are and then be that person.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-24-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Best post of the thread. You can't control others, you can't make people accept you, but as long as no harm comes to you, that's all you can worry about. Surround yourself with people who love and support you and don't worry about the rests.

I was a stepmother for a number of years and I was not accepted as a "real" parent, someone viewed as less than by health professionals, educators, other parents, simply because I wasn't the bio-parent. I'm sure a large majority of us have faced some sort of discrimination and/or exclusion in our lives. We just have to be the best people we can be, and not allow our worth and value be dictated by others. Hopefully people can get to know who we are, not just what we are.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
[quote=zeliner;3536467

/Gender dysphoria, is more like being a member of a minority ethnic group, than you might think. Just imagine being African-American and living during during Jim-Crow days in the South. I'm most certain that the blacks living there just had to experience some form of anguish, depression, anger, resentment, degradation, embarrassment, hatred, and unfortunately, in some cases, race dysphoria. /[/quote]

I've been thinking about that also - in the sense that historically both groups have been discriminated against, even persecuted.

And there's one enormous difference. Black people, even during the days of slavery in the United States, had an unusually low rate of suicide. That continues into today's culture with people with Black skin having the lowest suicide rate of the major skin color groups.

With transgendered people there is a high rate of suicide and threats of suicide.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
If someone has an actual phobia, I'm not sure why we should condemn them because you don't like it.

If you are talking about it not being a mental illness but a prejudice then I'm confused why you posted it to this forum.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If someone has an actual phobia, I'm not sure why we should condemn them because you don't like it.

If you are talking about it not being a mental illness but a prejudice then I'm confused why you posted it to this forum.
I don't recall the OP making any statement or plea for anybody to condemn anyone!

From what pile did you get that hyperbole?

Transphobia is absolutely a mental illness, just like all phobias. They're all strong beliefs based upon irrational fears.

Any type of prejudice is indicative of some form of mental illness, because by definition, you're judging some phenomenon, prior to having any actual experience with it. The type of experience where generated data can be subjected to some form of critical analysis.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I don't believe that it's a mental disease , I believe that it's a physical one that effects the level of hormones that your body produces, injected, or swallowed .

What makes you want to look and feel sexy ? What makes you want to have big muscles ? What makes you grow a beard or boobs. Obviously, it's a glandular imbalance that must be perpetuated to hang onto your perceived identity. In this day and age, we have better living through chemistry and humans are running amuck with all the possibilities while having an identity crisis.
Come on, who wants to be too sexy for their shirt ?
Maybe a couple of more tatoos ?
Maybe we are an evolveing human chrysalis morphing higher on a evolutionary level where we can change our sex or become hermaphrodites so we can keep our species alive.
God has got to have a sense of humor with all of his programed DNA patterns being manifested like hybrid flowers as humans are interbreeding with different races. We're becoming a Heinz 57 variety type of breeding stock which proves to be better then inbreeding.
What if it was all meant to be ?
We get stronger as a species or we die off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology