Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh yeah? What's the clue that it is sexual, by being associated with "racism"? Most people over about 50 have no idea what the T stands for in LGBT, or whatever acronym we are currently being forced to use, and would guess that the B stands for Bestiality. This is a general forum for general users, not an insider's support group.
Oh yeah? Yeah!

Please tell us who is FORCING you to use the LGBT acronym, or any acronym?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
[quote=charlygal;35330603]I hear what you're saying but in the end, it doesn't matter. From a healthy, psychological standpoint, it doesn't matter. It's about having the power to define one's life as one desires. If it's not illegal, then no approval is needed.

So what if some people believe it should be "hidden" or doesn't agree with it.

It's empowering to take control of your own life and your own mind. Once people give up the need to control other people (i.e. get them to agree or like what they're doing), then they can be 100% mentally and emotionally free.

Would you rather be 100% mentally/emotionally free or would you rather fight and struggle to get people to agree with you?

I like to focus on the things I can control.[/quote]

Exactly! Also, once people learn to be happy, REGARDLESS of whether or not others agree with them...it's pretty emotionally freeing, too! Who CARES if someone, who has NOTHING to do with your upkeep or survival, agrees with your choices? Seriously....learn to not CARE so much, when others don't agree with your choices. They don't have to. It's not their life, it's yours. They are not required to share your opinion, in order for you to be happy. If you want them not to care.....you need to learn to not care, whether they care or not? Do not base your happiness on the opinions of others....or you will ALWAYS be miserable.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
the problem arises when that intolerance or differing opinion or whatever you want to call it leads to discrimination and causes injury to the subset not meeting approval....
OH, I agree! There are very few things which warrant discrimination or injury to others, simply because of a difference of opinion.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
This is a debate I have railed about for years-that those who demand "tolerance" of their lifestyles (whether "alternative" or "normal", whatever either of those may mean) always seem to be the most intolerant of those persons whose opinions/points of view run counter to their own.
If one expects "tolerance" of others, then it is pure hypocrisy not to accept and "tolerate" the views of those others who may not agree/condone/support the lifestyle choices one has made.
"Racism" is wholly out of context here-one's race is not a lifestyle choice. How one self-identifies one's race is a lifestyle choice.
Religion is not a lifestyle choice. How one chooses to practice one's religion is a lifestyle choice.
Ethnicity is not a lifestyle choice. Choosing to embrace/celebrate or reject/diminish that ethnicity is a lifestyle choice.
Sexual orientation/attraction is not a lifestyle choice. How one expresses that orientation/attraction is a lifestyle choice, whether it be a straight couple choosing to kiss in public, or a gay man choosing to dress like a woman in public.
Asking others to be tolerant of your lifestyle choices while being intolerant of theirs is the true height of intolerance.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You were also criticized for making up a word that nobody knew the meaning of . . .
Seriously? You blame other people for the fact that 1. you didn't know the meaning of a word and 2. you chose not to do a simple search that would have defined it for you in 10 seconds? Wow. Do you know the meaning of the word "agency" by chance?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? You blame other people for the fact that 1. you didn't know the meaning of a word and 2. you chose not to do a simple search that would have defined it for you in 10 seconds? Wow. Do you know the meaning of the word "agency" by chance?
Yes -- "agency" is in standard English dictionaries. Is "transphobia"?

transphobia
- no dictionary results
No results found for transphobia:
Did you mean transtiber

Use ten words in a post that have to be looked up, that would he 100 seconds. You flatter yourself if you think what you have to say is worth the effort.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
**Raises hand *** I know what the T in transphobia means, its the same T thats in transgender and transexual.

I see what is happening. For years, society was conservative. Then in the last generation, actually mine when i was young, in the 1970's groups of liberals and women protesting for womens lib started the ball rolling. That has turned into activism. Now the laws have been changed and we are seeing gay marriage legal, and movies and programs on tv feature gay people and the "norms" have changed.

but some people want more. Some people have situations about them that they too want to be accepted as THE NORM.

Unfortunately for some groups, the things that are wanted by these people are considered morally wrong, or is a spiritual condition, even a sinful condition, or whatever. Then you have people that come from a generation which never had any of this out in the open (everything unusual was hush hush, like your aunt's sexual affairs, etc.) so some people cannot understand what this new generation of people with all kinds of labels are. they dont get it. or they get it and they feel it is not something they want. For whatever reasons they have, valid or not, its their true feelings.

I think the transgenders are sometimes feeling prejudiced against, but there are some that PUSH who they are on people that do not want it. thats a problem.

As for me, I understand the Christian point of view which feel some of this is plain offensive. there are loving christians who treat everyone as everyone else. sometimes it helps to get out of what is familiar to you and meet some people taht are different and then you can see first hand what others are like.

i do feel that people out of i guess frustration want to rally for their rights, i dont know if they're going to win everyone over. Some posters here have declared they are so frustrated/offended/etc that they cant abide this place anymore. It seems to me that they are trying to make others see their point of view and when the others either reject this point of view, or dont want it, or whatever, they cant deal with it and leave.

If i were a transgender, I would not worry about anyone loving me. not everyone loves ME either in real life. i cant make everyone happy. I think if it came to someone beating me up for being a transgender - THAT goes too far and is criminal. I think if i were a TG, I would try to live the life I'd want and be myself and if someone accepts me, fine, if not fine.

what i do NOT agree with is someone FORCING me to change my innermost feeling of something being wrong, and trying to force me to love what I cannot morally believe in (the case of the christian baker refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple i.e) i dont like when the activism of some liberal group screw up someone living their own moral lives as they see fit. Hey, I dont like our president obama, but im stuck with him. i cant do anything about it.. nor will i ever change the obama worshippers into seeing him as anything other than what they believe in their mind. I can however, control my life and waht I do.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Jukesgrrl responses in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Amy you should reread my posts. I am not intolerant of transgendered people when they act like any other person and just live their life. [You miss the point. They're NOT "any other person."]

You are only seeing part of the picture. Reread please.

You become intolerable when you decide that everyone ought to love you and expect people to love and accept you. But it aint gonna happen. ["Intolerable" is a pretty strong word! Yet what you fear certainly COULD happen and history proves, populaces eventually move toward increased tolerance over the long haul.] You become part of the problem when you yourself become intolerant of letting everyone be. [Which appears to be what you are doing right now.]

Not everyone is gonna love everyone. In every category of life. Christians and Islamics clash. Fat and skinny people clash.. White and blacks clash. the middle east countries clash with each other. [But again ... they don't HAVE to. You sound as if you encourage that type of disruption, which you are doing any time you don't speak out against it.]

The only name I think you have earned is intolerance of other peoples points of view and impatience with others opposing points of view. [Yes, she might be impatient about people becoming educated to a situation they are seldom confronted with in many communities. But you are equally impatient. Why is her impatience wrong and your impatience totally understandable?]

I cant speak for others, but I can say this about ME - that you are a person and you are entitlted to live your life the way you see fit. If you feel like a woman in a man's body, or vice versa, fine. Go ahead and enjoy life. I wont be mean to you nor call you any names except hypocrite if you do not extent the same courtesy to others as you wish to be done to you. [So in other words, she's entitled to live her life as she sees fit as long as she doesn't expect you to welcome her as an equal member of the community? That's the way your basic homosexual (I don't know how else to say that) was treated in this country for several centuries and finally attitudes toward them are changing. I guess Amy's just expected to endure your disgust longer ... because that's how you "feel"?] Other than that, I have no problem with you being who you are, unless of course you demand that your feelings are more important than your fellow human beings. You and your fellow human beings are equally important and equally have the right to be treated respectfully as a person, not as a special snowflake. [So I guess she's the "special snowflake" and you're all the other white stuff that just blankets the world?]

If i saw you in real life, i would tell this to you and i am not cowardly either about telling you. [Believe me, we never thought that!] I dont know where you are so it is impossible for me to speak to you in real life so this is where i "met" you, so thats why i am teling you on this forum. [Given that Amy says she lives in the city of steel and bridges, I'd guess she's in Pittsburgh. I'm happy to see that. I lived there for many years and know it to be (while far from perfect) a city more tolerant of sexual diversity than some other places. So, Amy, if you're still there, shout out to you and all the snowflakes in the 'burgh. As for you ChicagoMeO, I don't expect you to change, but I will live in hope of your evolution.]

Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Oh yeah? Yeah!

Please tell us who is FORCING you to use the LGBT acronym, or any acronym?
I never have been able to find that "gay agenda" everyone talks about, but surely that must be one of the many demands in it.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Jukesgrrl responses in red:
Wow.....cup a cammomile tea and a relaxing soak in the tub. I read and re-read that post and seriously, do not read it the way you're reading it. In no way, was this poster saying they think that anyone with beliefs different than theirs, are any LESS than they are.

Also, there was no advocating violence or accepting clashes between folks with differences of opinion. I believe the general sentiment was "who am I to judge, I might not agree, morally, with your choices, but it's certainly not going to cause me to treat anyone poorly, just because we have differing opinions!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology