Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,191 times

Advertisements

I first became a vegetarian at 13 and heard *all* the jokes through high school.

Since I was pregnant with my second child I have gone on and off being vegetarian several times.

Now at 39 - after many years of eating very little meat anyway - I've decided to stop eating meat again. I am doing it as much as for ethical and environmental reasons as for health. I DO NOT badger people about eating meat, not a member of PETA, don't post cruelty videos on FB, etc. I am not an in-your-face or judgmental vegetarian, and I never have been.

I posted on FB that I was looking for new meatless recipes, and almost immediately 3 old friends post the whole "my favorite vegetarian meal is steak," pictures of bacon, etc. rigmarole. Ha ha, hilarious. I mean, really? We are all in our late 30's-40's and it's 2014; being vegetarian is very common now.

So, why do some people still think that mocking vegetarianism is funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
Because you threaten us.

Not you personally, of course, but others do as you said.

If it's a choice, it is one thing. If it is to be "force it down your throat", it is another.

So mocking is a defense or a counter attack.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I first became a vegetarian at 13 and heard *all* the jokes through high school.

Since I was pregnant with my second child I have gone on and off being vegetarian several times.

Now at 39 - after many years of eating very little meat anyway - I've decided to stop eating meat again. I am doing it as much as for ethical and environmental reasons as for health. I DO NOT badger people about eating meat, not a member of PETA, don't post cruelty videos on FB, etc. I am not an in-your-face or judgmental vegetarian, and I never have been.

I posted on FB that I was looking for new meatless recipes, and almost immediately 3 old friends post the whole "my favorite vegetarian meal is steak," pictures of bacon, etc. rigmarole. Ha ha, hilarious. I mean, really? We are all in our late 30's-40's and it's 2014; being vegetarian is very common now.

Those weren't your friends. It sounds like you were surrounded by jerks. Look for people who treat you with respect to make friends with. I've never heard any vegetarian jokes, and I was one for 20 years. Most people where I've lived don't care.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:

I found the best place to find vegetarian recipes is a cookbook or do a search online and you will find thousands of recipes.
The biggest issue with vegetarians which I am not one is the announcement that is made whether purposely or in general conversation.
It can be taken by those who hear/read the announcement that you are pushing your own agenda even if it is just a pass mention.
Our oldest child decided when he was 15 to quit eating meat and honestly I didn't even notice for a few weeks that he wasn't eating meat. When I did notice I asked him about it and he told me what he had decided.
I was fine with it but our meals remained the same and he ate what we did except for the meat.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,161,479 times
Those people were just attempting to be humorous (unsuccessfully). You could really make fun of anything and have it be funny. I'm a liberal and generally enjoy well done political humor about liberals. You kind of made it irresistible for people to comment with a joke by giving them a setup like that like "you could eat Kim Kardashian, shes a vegetable". Most people just aren't funny and think posting a picture of meat in contrast to your request is hilarious. Adam Sandler is also one of the top grossing movie stars of all time so you shouldn't expect people to be sophisticated and funny.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those weren't your friends. It sounds like you were surrounded by jerks. Look for people who treat you with respect to make friends with. I've never heard any vegetarian jokes, and I was one for 20 years. Most people where I've lived don't care.
Unfortunately I live in Illinois, the land of meat, potatoes, corn, and meat.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Because you threaten us.

Not you personally, of course, but others do as you said.

If it's a choice, it is one thing. If it is to be "force it down your throat", it is another.

So mocking is a defense or a counter attack.
How does NOT doing something threaten someone? I simply don't understand that kind of mentality.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I found the best place to find vegetarian recipes is a cookbook or do a search online and you will find thousands of recipes.
The biggest issue with vegetarians which I am not one is the announcement that is made whether purposely or in general conversation.
It can be taken by those who hear/read the announcement that you are pushing your own agenda even if it is just a pass mention.
Our oldest child decided when he was 15 to quit eating meat and honestly I didn't even notice for a few weeks that he wasn't eating meat. When I did notice I asked him about it and he told me what he had decided.
I was fine with it but our meals remained the same and he ate what we did except for the meat.
Yes, I know how to find recipes, thank you. However, I have found that people love to share recipes, especially if it's something new or unusual. Several of my friends are also vegetarians, vegans, pescetarians, or people who just enjoy vegetarian cuisine. I would certainly love to have a tried and tested recipe shared with me instead of hoping something I randomly find on the internet is good. I posted my recipe for cabbage rolls last fall and a bunch of people loved it.

Making an "announcement" is basically what FB is for. People announce all kinds of things, as FB is a good way to get a message out to a lot of people at once. Thinking me saying I'm not going to eat meat and would like some recipes is pushing my own agenda is the same as thinking people announcing they are pregnant is telling everyone else to have babies too.

I also have friends who hunt and share pictures, but I do not feel the need to make commentary because that is their choice and it doesn't affect me. I feel no reason not to be accorded the same respect.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
How does NOT doing something threaten someone? I simply don't understand that kind of mentality.
Because of the very aggressive way SOME people are "not doing something."

You may not be that way, but it doesn't get more aggressive and shaming than "Meat is murder." PETA has not done you any favors.

Many people believe that your choice is a judgment of their choice. So they react, as has been said, defensively, sometimes with humor.

Facebook might be a place for making an announcement, but you cannot control how people react to your announcement. FB is not the best place to look for recipes anyway. Posting that just looks like you're humble-bragging about vegetarian again. Just Google from now on.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,952,733 times
Quote:

So, were your feelings hurt by their jokes? I'm not intending to be mean or judgmental but aren't you possibly overreacting a bit? Let them joke. And you can reserve the right to joke right back. "What was that, a picture of your grandmother?"

I was a veggie for a couple of years when young, and I experienced the gamut of reactions. Food is just one of those fundamental, universal things and it provokes gut reactions in people, so to speak. I say, go with it, milk the jokes and throw them right back in their faces and show them you're not one of those PETA extremist ninnies who have no sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology