Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:28 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,319,477 times

Advertisements

Towson professor explores whether social media have left us disconnected - Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,169 times
Flat fact is yes

Crime rates drop because criminal too busy playing and paying for Iphone bill.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
Yes!

Look at some of the questions popping up on this forum like; How do you understand people? Etc.

Basic things people used to learn by "talking" to each other in person.

And people can't seem to make their own decisions anymore. Look at "House" and you will see people asking what color they should paint their house. Or in Automotive they are asking which car they should buy. Which car is considered more "cool" or whatever.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Yes!

Look at some of the questions popping up on this forum like; How do you understand people? Etc.

Basic things people used to learn by "talking" to each other in person.

And people can't seem to make their own decisions anymore. Look at "House" and you will see people asking what color they should paint their house. Or in Automotive they are asking which car they should buy. Which car is considered more "cool" or whatever.
And before the internet and this forum existed, people were probably still asking these questions but you just wouldn't know about them. Technology doesn't change us all that much. We just have different ways of doing the same things. The same people who don't get texting are the same kind of people who don't get calling when the telephone was invented, writing when paper was invented, and talking when language was invented.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Social media also has a conformity effect.

Social media discourages actual live phone-to-phone talk.

Social media doesn't promote one-on-one interactions IRL.

It's a fast-food-convenient way to communicate.

Social media creates a depersonalized experience that places people in boxes, so yeah.. they're not only disconnected.. people become a bit more generic by conforming to 'group-think' mentality.

I hope this isn't a homework assignment!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
And before the internet and this forum existed, people were probably still asking these questions but you just wouldn't know about them...
Actually I was not born yesterday and no they were not asking these questions in the past.

People in the past could make up their own minds about things - could think on their own. The "high school gang - follow the leader" thing came along with TV and Video games, then got worse with cell phones and Facebook. Dramatically worse.

Go back a bit further and people were even more independent. I'm talking covered wagon days.

What color covered wagon should I get?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Yes!

This part, at least, I agree with, even though I'm aware that posters here aren't necessarily indicative of the real world.

But I am absolutely floored at some of the basic life questions some people here will post, often times in their first post after just registering.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
I think social media has done a lot of damage in the ways that people relate to each other.
It's very superficial & also extremely narcissistic.
To me, Fakebook seems like one huge commercial....
As if everyone's out to promote & sell their artificial selves to the public.
I prefer connecting w/ people one on one IRL.
Can't do the phoniness.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
People in the past could make up their own minds about things - could think on their own. The "high school gang - follow the leader" thing came along with TV and Video games, then got worse with cell phones and Facebook. Dramatically worse.
Are you saying we are the least independent minded people in the history of humankind?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,228,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Social media also has a conformity effect.
Social media doesn't promote one-on-one interactions IRL.

It's a fast-food-convenient way to communicate.

Social media creates a depersonalized experience that places people in boxes, so yeah.. they're not only disconnected.. people become a bit more generic by conforming to 'group-think' mentality.
You summed it up when you said "It's a fast-food convenient way to communicate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology