Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 06:09 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

Once in a while you get and oldie but goodie song on a radio or movie etc and by golly I can remember most of words and sing along, although I do like the new music, I cannot remember the songs nor can I sing them. Is it me? My memory, or did the old songs last longer time on the radio and we memorized them more? I pay $10 to see a movie - it's out and in 2 mo it is available at red box, and also out my mind within 60 days. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
you generally remember the things you want to remember. i dont listen much to modern music because it doesnt appeal to me. i do love the older music though, so i tend to remember it better, because i listen to it much more often.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
My "older" memories in general are much, much sharper than in recent years.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:44 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
There tend to be more "celebrated" milestones and transitions in our first 20 years than in the rest of our lives (later on).
We have these "flashbulb" moments we can recall, with music or movies & other specific details, that we don't seem to have so much with later, subsequent happenings.

When we're younger, our "cement is still wet"-as we age, the metaphorical cement dries out and it's harder to leave a lasting impression, so to speak.
As kids, everything is new, for the first (few) time(s)-in later years, we've "seen & heard it all, many times before"-as a result, recent instances may not command our attention/focus.

If you compare human memory to a file cabinet:
As a kid, how many files are in there ? Not a lot, things are relatively broad & simple at this stage-memories are easy to record & to locate, there's plenty of empty space.
By midlife, that file cabinet is gonna' be chock full to overspilling. Locating any single file may get a bit more challenging, never mind trying to absorb something new.

It's developmental biology more than personality, the brain grows/learns at an accelerated pace in childhood, so our minds are like sponges during that phase.
Which is not to say that we cannot learn & retain new information & experiences at any age. The brain's plasticity remains (to some degree) throughout adulthood.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:53 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
very good answer- I though the music/songs were deeper but simpler then, than now, and more opt to be remembered. I cannot remember much of the songs the last 10 yrs. and yes just over 60 now so I suffer from CRS_

Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
I think people sometimes tend to remember the old songs that they grew up with better, and then there is often a memory of the past linked to them, which further reinforces the tunes. I remember newer songs that I specifically relate to. I really don't listen to much of the old tunes that I grew up with. I listen to mostly artists from Africa. They often mix languages and it's very pretty. There are still some deep tunes today but chances are you won't hear them much on the radio these days. There are some good artists from Canada too, that have done well there but are unknown here. That seems kinda strange. Today I've had an instrumental in my head all day. It's a beautiful tune by Claude Debussy : Clair de Lune, for Piano (Suite Bergamasque No. 3). No words but lots of emotion in this sad piece.

As far as memory, I always gripe that the stuff from the past is ingrained like the deep groves on an old LP. Most of it I'd like to delete from the memory bank. The short term memory, did I take that pill, where are the keys, the phone, my brain. I have trouble with that stuff. They do say that long term stress can have a negative effect on ones memory. I think that has been the case for me.

The old movies and TV shows, well for me chances are I've seen them many times. So I know every line of some of the old TV shows. It's the stuff I like best, so I recall the Danny Kaye movies, Norman Wisdom, the light romantic comedies of the late 50's and early 60's like those of Rock and Doris. By the way if you like her old films there are several on Dailymotion.com. Google has seen fit to link with these greedy vultures wanting 9.99 to watch a movie on Youtube. So most of these old films are no longer on there. But they seem to leave the newer crap up for some reason. Google has made you tube much worse. The uncut Andy Griffith shows are still on Youtube, as is the Flinstones, and some others, for now at least. I hate how they cut them up for syndication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology