Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:14 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times

Advertisements

I think if you want better answers from folks here, you need to be a bit more specific. What kind of hobbies, where are you living now, what kind of work are you doing? Have you been working for an American or foreign company? How about friends there, you said you were locked in your room. Do you have close friends there? I don't understand why you would have to give up hobbies, unless it was something that couldn't be done where you moved to. The more positives you have in your new life the less you will be looking back with regret and sadness. People that can't move forward for whatever reason are the ones that get stuck emotionally as the past remains right over their shoulder. What is making you miserable, apart from worrying about a job there? Have you applied for any jobs in the USA? When was the last time you were in the states? It's not easy here either, I think it's getting worse all the time. Certainly as one ages (40s -50s) it's harder to get jobs, unless one has a lengthy current track record and many good connections or is one of those lucky types. I'm sure you're thinking about where you want to be in 10 years time, though frustrating, it's necessary to develop a plan for the future.

Looking at a movie of most peoples lives would be a quite boring show. It's hardly the adventures of the action packed world traveler or like an old Bond film. The sameness of everyday, work, eat, sleep and look forward to the weekend and the yearly vacation. Many people have regrets regarding the degree they got, their career path, who they married, how tied down they are and so on. Having good people in ones life is what makes the difference. The people I envy the most are not the richest folks on the planet but the ones that found the right person to settle down with early in life and still after all the years love each other and enjoy each others company. Those folks have something money can't buy a simple life and some peace of mind.

I can relate to wanting to move someplace else early on, as I got the opportunity to go to London a couple of time. The first time it was connection to study the criminal justice system in the UK. This was when I was in college, in the late 70's. I really loved it there, in some way I wish I had tried to get a job there. But it's much different now than it was then and it's so expensive. Things are much different from the travel logs of the 80's. And also you aren't seeing the real life, the same day to day grind exists for folks there as well as in the states. When I was a cop, a friend of mine I started with quit, he went back to doing what he loved, his hobby scuba diving. I sort of envied him because he was doing something he was passionate about, a hobby he loved that didn't really seem like work. What I'm getting at is you should do something that makes you happy if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
My main hobby is learning Japanese. I challenged myself to learn a completely different language. I'm pretty good at it. ...There's really no place to apply Japanese language, except in a Japanese setting, such as Japan. I also like restaurants and eating food from all parts of the world. It's the Anthony Bourdain-type lifestyle that I like about being outside the States. If I went to the US, and tried to connect with people who liked the same things, I think it'll remind me that I'm not overseas anymore, which won't help my mood or help me to move on.

I've been working for American companies, after I left the military. I'm in Japan now, but I also lived in England, and I wouldn't mind going back. At one point I tried to apply for foreign companies... but I was left with a negative impression about the job conditions and EEO policies, so I opted to stick with American institutions. Right now I'm definitely applying for jobs in the US, but the few companies that called me back require that I reside in the local area before being considered.

I was locked in my room, because I focused everything on finding a job, in every location in the world, once I was laid off this year. Otherwise I was going to go back to the US, with no job and a little bit of money. I had a job recently, but I wasn't given a long-term employment offer after my probationary period was completed.

I have a few friends in Japan who I've known for about 15 years. I just don't bother them with my problems... which doesn't sound like we're that close, but maybe that's why I've been friends with them for so long. Also, I'm terrible at asking for help, and when I do ask, it often goes unanswered, or the person suddenly pretends that I'm a total stranger.

Edit: I haven't really lived in the US since early 2000. Last time I visited was 2009.

Last edited by nc17; 11-04-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
I hate change, as a rule, and usually have to be forced into it. There's been several times in my life that I was forced out of my "rut" and into a completely different set of circumstances. I got angry, scared, depressed... various negative responses. Every single time, my life improved greatly in some way and I was thankful for being forced into a change. Just sayin'.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Why not look into working for Japanese companies which also have American locations? Toyota and other auto companies have many American factories, and hire both Japanese and Americans to work as executives. Your knowledge of the Japanese language would be a huge asset in such a situation.

You might also be able to teach Japanese at the high school or college level. In communities where Japanese companies have located, there is considerable demand for such instruction.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 AM

I'm not fluent in Japanese, unfortunately. I can read text, and understand almost all of it. Do you need formal training before moving to teaching?

I worked in a school system before, and I really enjoyed it. As long as it's elementary, and no punk high school kids.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
How about a job translating from Japanese to English. Just looking at the Indeed.com website, I see several such jobs. One with Honda, a couple with Nintendo, and there are others too. It's possible from a job like this that you could advance and move back to Japan at a later date. I don't really get why you'd not want to continue on with studying the language and going to a variety of restaurants if you took a job in the states. Because you move back doesn't mean you won't ever work there again. With a firm that has offices there as well it is certainly very possible.

Japanese Translator Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Maybe you'd also like to continue to learn the language and be involved with Japanese culture.

Many opportunities to that in this country. The LA area has some strong Japanese influence

The Japanese American Network

Japanese American Cultural & Community Center

As for eating different foods, any large city in this country has enormous food choices in ethnic restaurants.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I've been through this. And even though I have lived in the US for most of my life I still think a lot of the best times were when I lived in Europe. I would go back in a heartbeat. But life isn't always kind. And we usually don't get what we want.

I can tell you for sure moving back to the US is doable. It's all in your attitude. If you want to be miserable, you will. If you make up your mind to enjoy the good things the US has to offer, you will do that too. It's a choice you make every day.

I have also lived all over the US. Even in some of the worst armpits you can imagine. Every single place in the world has some redeeming qualities. You just have to find and appreciate them!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've been through this. And even though I have lived in the US for most of my life I still think a lot of the best times were when I lived in Europe. I would go back in a heartbeat. But life isn't always kind. And we usually don't get what we want.

I can tell you for sure moving back to the US is doable. It's all in your attitude. If you want to be miserable, you will. If you make up your mind to enjoy the good things the US has to offer, you will do that too. It's a choice you make every day.

I have also lived all over the US. Even in some of the worst armpits you can imagine. Every single place in the world has some redeeming qualities. You just have to find and appreciate them!
Knowing my tendencies, trying to keep up with my hobbies isn't going to help me give the US a fair shot... it's going to make me wish that I wasn't there. I tried to mention that I have "out-of-body experiences," when I push ahead and do things that I don't want to do. I can accept what life serves you, but you don't have to like it. I want to try to like it, because the life I have been living seems like a lost cause and a delusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology