Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,914,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
American culture--push, push, push, work, work, work. Be something, always do something, always go after something, but never just be and enjoy the simple things in life.
Only in the US? Canada and Europe seem to have their fair share of educated, driven affluent people.

Not a thing wrong with that.

Not everyone cares about being artistic, happy-go-lucky or childlike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
I don't think adults lose imagination. They just can't act on it. Responsibilities for one. Add to that the fact that saying the wrong thing will offend someone, somehow, and bang, there goes your job.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
I used to play 59th St. Bridge as loud as I could on my way to work every morning to try to forget the day before.

Finally, one of the lawyers I worked with asked me what was wrong with me that I could be so happy every morning! Indeed, that job was nearly my death after two years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_2WqKRDhA

Paul Simon The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) Lyrics | The Official Paul Simon Site

Last edited by Heidi60; 02-21-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I know most adults lose a lot of their imagination as they grow older, but how and why? Because of society? Corporate America? When I'm around little kids, they're like adults but much more open, sweet, and fun to talk to. They like to pretend they have super powers and can freeze me. But even when they're not playing pretend the things they say are funny and honest. They're not afraid to call me out on my BS and say "duh" when I say something obvious.

The most frustrating part is finding out that I have bought into the corporate America BS. I get bored of the conversations I have but don't know how to turn it around. They become so straight laced. About the weather, a straight story of whatever happened.. I have an easier time talking to international students. They tell me maybe Americans are too polite or whatever, but they also seem very closed off.
It really depends on the adults. And as someone else said, the milieu. In Corporate America, I can imagine how the atmosphere would tend to be dull. With the exception of the tech corporations, where creativity is fostered. If you hang out with creative types, you'll discover a different world. And creative types can be anywhere; they can be in academia, the tech world, the arts, even marketing (my cousin works in marketing for the toy industry, and she has a blast!) But saying "DUH!" to someone is rude. It may be cute when kids say it, but adults don't say that to each other unless they're friends and they're being a little playful.

It sounds like you've fallen into a rut, OP. You need to find your niche. Go out and make new friends. Look for fun activities or hobbies to try out, or volunteer for arts organizations or some kind of cause where people are passionate about what they do. Attend travel seminars at your local travel bookstore and see if you meet any interesting characters. Think outside the box. Explore. I certainly wouldn't paint all adults with the same brush, not at all! There are adults who retain their child-like playfulness, creativity, and a certain degree of carefree spirit, at least in their leisure time. It sounds like you need a change, some new energy in your life.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I don't think adults lose imagination. They just can't act on it. Responsibilities for one. Add to that the fact that saying the wrong thing will offend someone, somehow, and bang, there goes your job.
There is Life outside of work. Go live it! Or find a job that allows you to use your imagination.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Adults are imaginative, but on a grown up level.
This. The imaginative adults are out there changing the world, or making changes in their world. Like Bill Gates, environmentalists designing alternative energy systems for homes and entire communities, economists devising economic development programs in exotic cultures, educators developing alternative schools that foster inquiry and creativity. Imagination is driving progress in many fields.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Only in the US? Canada and Europe seem to have their fair share of educated, driven affluent people.

Not a thing wrong with that.

Not everyone cares about being artistic, happy-go-lucky or childlike.
Some adults turn into this. ^^ They've internalized the stale assumption that because adulthood can be serious, fun is only for kids. It's not just that fun is something you are forced to outgrow by the weight of adult responsibilities. It's that fun is something adults should look down on in other adults. The "fun is appropriate for kids only" crowd. And, of course, no place manufactures these Daleks like corporations. These are the kind of people who don't want me to like Pinkie Pie!!

Last edited by JBPisgah; 02-21-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
They become more based on reality has they find it needed to survive. No one stays in the dream world of childhood long once they become the provider for survival. Some remain but we see they just continue mostly to dream. Only those exceptional have realistic dreams they can bring to reality.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No one stays in the dream world of childhood long once they become the provider for survival. Some remain but we see they just continue mostly to dream.
Those are the ones living in their parents' basement when they're 30.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:12 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Responsibilities. Adults get weighed down by real-life obligations.

FYI, it's strait-laced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology