Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times

Advertisements

I guess my life is the exact OPPOSITE of friends and family who are married, parents and grandparents (all at once) who still work -- and don't have 5 MINUTES to themselves. I look at their commitments and it's amazing. One friend was on 2 committees at church, 2 committees at her kids' schools, worked full time, did stuff with her husband, AND was a CASA volunteer (court appointed special advocate) -- and wondered why she was tired all the time....

I'll never forget, she said others seemed to be able to get so much work done and asked me to pray for her to have more energy. I said 1) no one I know is as busy as you are...and 2) I'll pray for you alright -- but for you to learn how to say "NO," sometimes when people are asking you to serve on all these committees! She said, "I know, but they're all good causes." And I said, "Yes, they are. But YOU don't have to do them all at the same time. ONE school committee, and ONE church committee at a time is plenty with all the other things you have going on." Just LOOKING at her calendar wore me out!

She said she'd volunteer to "help out" on ONE PART of a project...and next thing you know, other people working on it needed help with THEIR part, too. They'd ask or she'd volunteer -- because she knew it needed to be done. She is soo sweet and caring, and truly believes in "service" to others. She just has trouble saying "no." And sometimes you just have to say "NO, I can't do it." -- and NOT even let them talk you into "helping out a little."

Another friend has a husband, 3 kids, two part time jobs, and volunteers at church. She's got something in the works going on every time I talk to her.

So yeah...my life is the exact opposite....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Most of us need both enjoyment/pleasure AND meaning/purpose in our lives to feel what humans call "happiness".

It sounds like you are able to enjoy yourself with the life you have and that's great. (travel, leisure time, etc)

But it does sound like you may lack "meaning" in your life.

My advice would be to look to add ONE activity that would be meaningful to YOU (and only you know what that would be): a volunteer gig, spending more time in nature, getting a pet to care for, attending religious services, etc.
It may "pay off" immeasurably.
Good luck!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Even if it is OK doing minimal now it is a dead end long term. There will come a time when because of health or other reasons you will miss work. If you are just scraping by you will then start to feel stress and have problems. If you get a few of these situations in a short amount of time you could lose all of the comforts you have.

What about car? If you have a car it may need to be repaired or replaced at some point.

What about retirement? Do you plan on working the rest of your life?

At the end of the day you have to find your own answers but you should look at what problems you may face long term and if you can do a little more to counter them.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times
No. And if you feel that way join the military to light a fire under that can.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Well, I'll post a counterpoint to those telling you how great your life sounds and how wonderful the freedom is, yada yada. Frankly, you sound unengaged, apathetic, uninterested and uninteresting. For me it wouldn't be OK at all, and I avoid such people. Life is what you make it. Sounds like you haven't made it very much beyond the basics and you're good with that. So what do you think anybody here is going to able to tell you?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Sounds like the life of a stoner. Which can be pretty alright--for awhile. If it continues, one day the "smoke will clear", and 30 years of your life will have passed you by.

Suitably reminds me of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" song lyrics: ". . . and then one day you'll find, 10 years have got behind you, no one told you when to run. . . .you missed the starting gun."

Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Sounds like the life of a stoner. Which can be pretty alright--for awhile. If it continues, one day the "smoke will clear", and 30 years of your life will have passed you by.

Suitably reminds me of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" song lyrics: ". . . and then one day you'll find, 10 years have got behind you, no one told you when to run. . . .you missed the starting gun."
That didn't occur to me. Yes, it very much does.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You gotta live in a way that makes you happy, but don't get bent if some people find your attitude unattractive.
Doesn't seem like he really cares. Why does everything we have to do involve whether or not other people find it cool or attractive? I say if the OP's content with his life then good for him. He knows what's best for him not anyone else here.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Maybe we slackers should form a club or something.

At least we don't harm anyone, we don't join the military or work in organized crime, unlike some pillars of the community I know around here who will expend large amounts of time and money on harassment of people they don't like, when they don't have anything better to do.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Maybe we slackers should form a club or something.

At least we don't harm anyone, we don't join the military or work in organized crime, unlike some pillars of the community I know around here who will expend large amounts of time and money on harassment of people they don't like, when they don't have anything better to do.
Or like the absolute scum society who go around manipulating and abusing others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology