Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
I was going to recommand dating if you can or finding new friends
I have some guys friends I sometimes met up
Dating life keeps me busy and content
Lots of beautiful woman out there but now ur schedule yea thats a roadblock kinda of in that category
But why go through all that trouble? OP is already content and satisfied with her own apathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 AM

765 posts, read 986,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
But why go through all that trouble? OP is already content and satisfied with her own apathy.
I think the OP mention he/she is bored kind of. I work a 40 hour week schedule thats all I need to do during the week and make sure I often enjoy the weekends with anything that doesn't involve work.

Movie Nights ( Netflix)
Beer night with friends
Barbecue
Sports and Video Games
Gym
Shopping
Going Out
Dates
Family Reunion
Camping
Swimming
Hook Ups
Night life

etc

We Americans work too much nowadays and I can see why the OP is very content nothing wrong at all. I suggest the OP can always find things to do weather by himself or with friends. He has plenty of options and doesn't always have to join a club or volunteer.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Is it OK to not to really want to do anything....except what you want to do?

I'm single no kids. Good job. Well, good paying job, which I really can't complain about. It's secure, union covered, no challenge. Other than having to be there it's really not demanding -- at all. Because I don't have significant other or kids, I don't have anyone making any demands on my time. So my life is my own. Other than work, there's no place I HAVE to be, or anyone I HAVE to commit to.

I'm in a relatively good position financially. I have friends, and family that I love and hang out with very so often. But I don't live near MOST of them. And they have their own lives so although we talk a lot, we don't actually get together that often. Mostly the people I live near are acquaintances more than intimate friends.

My job IS at odd hours so I'm working when they tend to be free. So MOST of my day-to-day is home and work that's it. For example the acquaintances I have -- are all busy today.

Life is actually pretty good I have no reason to complain.
I live alone -- so I don't really have to clean my house (and I don't except for the once a year someone may stop by.) I eat out or order out most of the time.

I don't want to exercise or go to a gym, OR walk by myself. I have an iPod to listen to music while I walk. But I really don't want to get up and do it. Don't really have a need or desire to get out to meet any new people. I've got friends and family. I'm quite content with the people I know. Not really interested in volunteering anywhere.

I AM enjoying my life, I guess I'm just bored most of the time. Other than eating out and buying a few gifts for friends. I don't want to spend any money, really. I do SOME travel.

There's nothing I really much I care about, to me, that's worth doing. Other than work most of what I do is errands you need to do in life...take the care for maintenance, grocery shop, etc.

I read a book once that said most human beings by nature, will do the least they can get away with. I guess since I really don't have any commitments other than work, there's nothing much I HAVE to do.

You just described MY life! Yes, I do the least amount possible or whatever pleases me as much as possible because I never know when my last day will arrive, and I don't believe in self-deprivation. I'm not a glutton, but yes, I've arranged my life so that I can do the things that I find most interesting and useful to me. I've also never been very ambitious, just deeply curious and just..."deep" in general, though I switch off and on with that.

I've also never wanted kids, and after two marriages, forget it! I'm content. And sometimes I think that's the best we can expect.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:46 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Kletter1mann:

Why the apparent hostility – or anger? (at least that’s the feeling I’m getting from you post.)
How did I “deliberately mislead” anyone...my question was “Is it OK to Be Lazy and Not Want to Do Anything? Only Do the Minimum?

I said there's nothing I really much I care about, to me, that's worth doing. I go to work and home and most times don’t care about doing much else.
I never said I'd never accomplished ANYTHING in my life. OTHER people jumped to that conclusion. That's not on me. That's on them.

Tobiashen, I have to admit, that sort of does sound like me. Do you find it interesting that sometimes people equate not wanting to do much, or fill up every minute of your time -- with not being ambitious or being self-centered? IE: being "a stoner" OR that you have never or WILL never accomplish anything. Or that you're not curious about anything. Really? Those are NOT the same things at all. Not wanting to do much doesn't mean you don't have a life!

I, personally, am VERY curious -- and very generous with friends and even strangers. I'll go out of my way for a person. Someone asks directions in the street or a store, I don't just show them If I CAN do it and have time -- IT TAKE them to make sure they get there or at least see where they need to go. IF I'm drivingI LEAD them to their turn. And becauseI'm not running around putting everyone else first -- be fore ME time...I can usually take that time to actually help people. I've given people change when they were short at the grocery counter. I'm very ambitious about things I WANT to do. When I research a topic, I learn ALL I can about it. When I get into gardening I'm REALLY into it., In my early teens, when I got into macrame -- I'd make five things a day. In my mid teens, I'd moved on) to crocheting, I'd crochet a blanket in two days. And I don't only like solitary activities. WHEN the RARE chance arises, I bowl or roller skate. I haven't in 20 years! But -- I've been busy! living my life. I treat friends to dinner, when i pick up the check. If I see something the'll like I just get it for them. IF I like a subject I'll take classes in it.

I DID call the local food pantry about volunteering. Believer it or not they said they didn't need anyone. I was like OK...see ya. I'm not going to BEG you to let me volunteer. BUT if I do volunteer it's got to be on my terms. And my terms are I need to be able to call and say to you need someone next Tuesday? or will you needs someone this Thursday? or whenever.

It's like people get angry just because you don't buy into working yourself to death. Tobiashen, you know you -- and you said you've never been very ambitious. I'd say don't say that about yourself, but you know you and I don't. Maybe you're just not into materialism. Or maybe you value experiences over things.

I like being single with no kids. For the most part it's GREAT having lots of free time. BUT there are times when everyone you know is doing something else. That recently happened to me. I didn't want to go out shopping and spend money. (I've got stuff I need to get rid of now) I don't go to the movies. It's too col d to do yard work here. I'm not going to clean house or do laundry...yet. So I just ended up doing nothing.

Last edited by rdflk; 03-28-2015 at 01:21 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Tobiashen, I have to admit, that sort of does sound like me. Do you find it interesting that sometimes people equate not wanting to do much, or fill up every minute of your time -- with not being ambitious or being self-centered?
I really don't think about it! I figure that other people's opinions of me just are none of my business. I'm nice and extremely curious and will talk to ANYONE -- strangers, just anyone, if I feel the interest. I don't much care what they think of my curiosity!

Quote:
It's like people get angry just because you don't buy into working yourself to death. Tobiashen, you know you -- and you said you've never been very ambitious. I'd say don't say that about yourself, but you know you and I don't. Maybe you're just not into materialism. Or maybe you value experiences over things.

I like being single with no kids. For the most part it's GREAT having lots of free time. BUT there are times when everyone you know is doing something else. That recently happened to me. I didn't want to go out shopping and spend money. (I've got stuff I need to get rid of now) I don't go to the movies. It's too col d to do yard work here. I'm not going to clean house or do laundry...yet. So I just ended up doing nothing.

I don't know if people get angry; I've never experienced it or noticed it, if they have, but again, it's just of no consequence to me because I don't think about it.

I've not always been a slacker (LOL), because three months after I graduated from college, I went to work and continued to work full-time with very few breaks or vacations for about 28 years, so this new "freedom to do as I please" is quite a blessing. But I've always been inclined to want to do the least amount possible; it's just my nature, and to me, it's neither good or bad -- it's just me, and I accept it.

For example, I used to be very neat and orderly, but again, I've gone through MANY changes in all those years, and certainly MANY times I had to do what I didn't want to do because I had to make a living.

Twenty years ago, I would have likely told you I WAS ambitious. But again, not in the sense of "climbing the ladder" -- it's not something I can define; it's always felt more like a sense of self-competitiveness. I don't like competition with others; I just won't do it. I dislike sports very much, because they're just games, but some people take them so SERIOUSLY that they get completely strung out. So, instead, I like to test, challenge, and teach myself. I think if I ever lost that need to learn, to stretch, I'd just walk off a cliff somewhere!

You mention working outside, etc. I've never done yard work in my life because I've either lived in condos/apartments or just never wanted to or was made to do so. My father was very old-fashioned and all about "girls/ladies don't mow the lawn!" so I've just always hired people to do those types of things.

You also mentioned going shopping and to the movies -- two things I've ALSO never enjoyed. Even as a teenager, it was kind of a drag to have to go to the mall and pick out new clothes. My mother absolutely abhorred shopping, and I may have picked that up from her, but I can't stand it and don't see the point of just "shopping to shop."

I used to love to go to an "art house" theater when I was in my 20s, and I usually wanted to go alone, especially if it was a film I was particularly keen to see; viewing certain films always felt like a very full, enriching experience to me, and I didn't want someone chomping at candy or popcorn or asking me questions or whatever.

A lot of this, though -- I was an only child, so much of this behavior likely just came naturally because I was used to being by myself so much. Anyway, cheers, and I hope that helps answer your questions!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
It works for Bruno Mars but not for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLexgOxsZu0

Old 04-03-2015, 12:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Many of our ancestors would have lived and died within a few miles of where they were born. Jet setting around the world and being expected to do exciting and interesting things 24/7 is a relatively new phenomena. Most people have lived relatively uneventful lives.

I'm a lot similar to the OP, but I'm practically friendless due to introversion and social awkwardness. When in this situation I always try to come up with creative ideas to keep myself occupied. I still feel that my life is more fulfilling than if I just did "vanilla" activities like partying, bar hopping, or clubbing every weekend like most I know.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
By omitting all this from your OP you deliberately mislead respondents about your life status and the apparent purpose for posting. If you sound like a do-nothing stoner or an apathetic loser it shouldn't be a surprise that readers interpret you that way.

It's stunning that anybody with the ability to live, travel and study abroad and learn 2 foreign languages, can transform with such totality into an apathetic slug. You've made the world a slightly worse place with this stuff dragging on so long with misleading info.

Why don't you get off you apathetic butt and do something to make things better for someone or something other than your mother? Gimme a break.
"You've made the world a slightly worse place"

You are way too melodramatic and hostile.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM

971 posts, read 689,366 times
Quote:

I'm single no kids. Good job. Well, good paying job, which I really can't complain about. It's secure, union covered, no challenge. Other than having to be there it's really not demanding -- at all. Because I don't have significant other or kids, I don't have anyone making any demands on my time. So my life is my own. Other than work, there's no place I HAVE to be, or anyone I HAVE to commit to.

I'm in a relatively good position financially. I have friends, and family that I love and hang out with very so often. But I don't live near MOST of them. And they have their own lives so although we talk a lot, we don't actually get together that often. Mostly the people I live near are acquaintances more than intimate friends.

My job IS at odd hours so I'm working when they tend to be free. So MOST of my day-to-day is home and work that's it. For example the acquaintances I have -- are all busy today.

I live alone -- so I don't really have to clean my house (and I don't except for the once a year someone may stop by.) I eat out or order out most of the time.

I don't want to exercise or go to a gym, OR walk by myself. I have an iPod to listen to music while I walk. But I really don't want to get up and do it. Don't really have a need or desire to get out to meet any new people. I've got friends and family. I'm quite content with the people I know. Not really interested in volunteering anywhere.

I AM enjoying my life, I guess I'm just bored most of the time. Other than eating out and buying a few gifts for friends. I don't want to spend any money, really. I do SOME travel.

There's nothing I really much I care about, to me, that's worth doing. Other than work most of what I do is errands you need to do in life...take the care for maintenance, grocery shop, etc.

I read a book once that said most human beings by nature, will do the least they can get away with. I guess since I really don't have any commitments other than work, there's nothing much I HAVE to do.
I wouldn't consider you lazy, as you hold a job and take care of lifes commitments. You may be unambitious. If it works for you the way things are, who cares what others think. I understand your "'friends aren't availablewhen you are" situation all to well. I am the friend who is not available to my friends. I work for a bunch of governmental logger heads and put in long hours every day. Some weeks seven days a week. I get six weeks of vacation and have to fight to use half of it. My friends can't understand why I can't just meet them at 5 o'clock for happy hour like everyone else, or take the day off at moments notice to do something. It just doesn't happen that way in my world. Vacation is picked for the whole year in January a year in advance. Any PTO days not scheduled I have to request seven days in advance and half the time they are not approved due to my work.

I too was doing excatly what you do for a year after my divorce. Work, eat, sleep, grocery shop, pay bills, the bare minimum. Worked for me for a while. I think it all depends on you as a person and what you can be happy with in life.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:

Yes it is fine do be lazy and do the minimum, there are so many paths we can take in life... take whatever one you like as long as you are not doing anything illegal (selling drugs).

There is no rule that says we all have to take a certain path in life, you are happy with your life so keep doing what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology