Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,325 times

Advertisements

She always has an excuse not wanting me to come over & visit. That she's either cleaning, shopping or exercising. Even on the phone, we will talk/text briefly sometimes, usually me doing the calling or texting.

Our relationship has always been rocky. She's younger than me by 19months. As we got older, it was like we were strangers even living in the same house. For whatever reason, it felt like she didn't want anything to do with me. It continued on after she moved out of the house and got married.

The way she treats me is a little better than 10yrs. ago. Having a cellphone over a landline is easier in getting ahold of her. Even after our little sister passed on, her attitude towards me hasn't changed much.

I had been reading on narcissism and triangulation. It seem to fit what I had experienced with my family. I always felt like the outsider even among my relatives. My mom was the center and if I wanted to know anything that was going on with my siblings, it was through her. More so in my younger days before owning a cellphone . My 2 younger sisters and "baby" brother seemed to bond with each other and got along while I felt excluded from the family loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
I don't think she sounds narcissistic, maybe busy with her own life. I do wonder when you call what you are trying to discuss with her and wonder if that is not the issue or if you are keeping her on the phone too long. Do you have friends that you call and visit or are you dependent on family members for your socialization?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
What you've written does not indicate narcissism to me.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,657,862 times
Post doesn't provide enough context to know either way. Not certain what you mean by triangulation.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 160,498 times
Triangulation is when the narcissist makes themselves the focal point of information/popularity and creates rivalries between other people like siblings. If anything, OP's mother may be the narcissist if she has set herself up as the center of all information flow and OP has always felt like an outsider.

It sounds like you and your sister just don't get along well. Maybe you guys just have a lot of personality or belief differences and she prefers to keep some distance. Do you argue when you guys get together?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM

26,760 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I had been reading on narcissism and triangulation. It seem to fit what I had experienced with my family.
Everyone engages in triangulation to some extent. It's not behavior that is exclusive to someone with narcissistic traits; it's a way to reduce emotional involvement and responsibility when under stress. Murray Bowen came up with the original concept of triangles in family systems therapy.
http://www.psychpage.com/learning/li...ing/bowen.html

Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpfoodie View Post
Triangulation is when the narcissist makes themselves the focal point of information/popularity and creates rivalries between other people like siblings. If anything, OP's mother may be the narcissist if she has set herself up as the center of all information flow and OP has always felt like an outsider.

It sounds like you and your sister just don't get along well. Maybe you guys just have a lot of personality or belief differences and she prefers to keep some distance. Do you argue when you guys get together?
hardly ever, do we argue now. I've always felt like the outsider in my family not able to relate to them

Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,007,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I've always felt like the outsider in my family not able to relate to them
Maybe this is where you should focus your energy.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
There isn't any way that even a trained professional could diagnose somebody on the word of a third party.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:28 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Not enough info. You haven't really told us anything about her behavior, OP, except that you're distant from her, and visa versa, and that she's hard to reach by phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology