Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Whenever you encounter someone for the first time, what most influences your initial impressions of them, either positive or negative (like their clothing, speech, attractiveness, body language, compliments, people or things in common, your 'intuition', whatever)….. and why are those the most important factors for you?

Then if you get to know them better, do you find that your first impressions are often accurate (or simply 'self-fulfilling'), and have those initial impressions ever turned out to be mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
-The look of the person - healthy face/body, teeth, age, hair, clothes are appropriate for the person to be wearing at the time - a person wearing filthy dirty greasy clothes who is an auto mechanic would be fine, but if he was sitting behind a desk at a bank, I would consider that odd. Or someone wearing a 3 piece suit fixing cars at an auto repair facility, I would consider odd.

-Personal hygiene.

-Body language.

-How they verbally respond to conversation.

Usually I can talk with someone for a few minutes and get an accurate impression of them. But if the person is a sociopath (manipulative liar), that can throw me off BIG TIME!

"TEXTING" NOTE: Realize that MUCH of the above is lost with cell phone texting!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:48 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
"TEXTING" NOTE: Realize that MUCH of the above is lost with cell phone texting!
Yet some people prefer that to real life interaction.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Teeth. I know that's weird, but hey.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Hmmm.... I don't know if it's really something specific, but just the overall vibe I get from them I guess. Some people I feel attracted to (not sexually) and others I just don't.

I honestly can't stand chatty people. That is one trait I have trouble with. I don't mind talking to people and having a shared conversation, but I hate it when a person you don't even know, just talk talk talk talk talks. I just want them to go away ha ha.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I think the very first thing I notice is traces of good humor or a humorous mouth. I like you a lot from the start if I detect that you are humorous.

After that, I notice grooming and especially the hair on males and females. Another thing I notice is how well spoken someone is. I notice regional accents, and poor or good speaking habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology