Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

When I was young, growing up in the big city, I would hear this term used once in awhile by the older men (some in my own family as well as others talking among themselves) to refer to someone that they considered to be "emotionally lacking." Btw, isn't it amazing how we picked up things they were talking about without them being aware of it?

So this phrase, a cold fish, was usually applied to someone with a personality that was rather bland and aloof about things and you could never get much of an emotional response when discussing anything with them. But it was more often used to refer to a lover that was unemotional and did not provide any feedback during love-making.... that they were getting any sense of enjoyment or pleasure from it and giving encouragement. They used the term in a derogatory way to imply that the person was as inactive and non-responsive as a cold, dead fish.

Once in a while someone would comment that this (affection) was probably something the person missed from a mother who did not provide the necessary warmth and loving affection during their early years. They expressed it a little differently, but you get the point. This was an intuitive conclusion that became what many considered to be just a common sense sort of thing..... that affection and intimacy were never learned from the mother.

Do you think there's any truth to this "street observation?" And if so, is this something that can be passed on and on for generations...... the mother isn't affectionate with her child, that child is not affectionate with their child, and on and on? Is the phrase still in use nowadays?

Last edited by nezlie; 05-11-2015 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: added a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I still hear and see the term "cold fish" used occasionally. It seems to be mostly used to describe a female rather than a male, from what I notice. Yes, it seems to be used to describe someone who's not very affectionate or not very sexual.

As a woman who tends to be pretty reserved emotionally, and maybe a little aloof, I'm sure the term could be applied to me.

But to me, it speaks more of the person saying it: Why are you so needy that you expect me to be so affectionate, care-taking, or mothering toward you? What makes you think that you're so incredibly sexy that I should be drooling all over you?

If a guy starts hitting on me in a bar, and I politely end the conversation and turn away. I guess he's call me a cold fish, simply because I'm not interested in him.

Most men I know who have complained that their wives are "cold fish" (regarding the bedroom) are usually men who don't recognize that their wives are working all day, then taking care of the kids, preparing the meals, cleaning the house, handling the bills, and all the appointments that need to be made, so may they're just exhausted. Plus, the husband might have "let himself go" a bit. So it can never be that he's less desirable; it must be the woman who is a cold fish.

I don't know about the hypotheses about lack of maternal affection. But it is probably true that huggy-kissy-demonstrative families produce children who grow up to be more huggy-kissy-demonstrative. Families that are less demonstrative, are probably more likely to produce less demonstrative kids. However, my sister and I grew up in the same household, with parents who we knew loved us, but who were never demonstrative about it. I grew up to be more aloof, I tend to not be a hugger, and in relationships, I save "I love you" for special moments, instead of saying it several times a day to where it has no meaning anymore. My sister, on the other hand, grew up to be a hugger with friends, and very, very affectionate with her kids. They are always sitting in her lap, hugging, and they're always saying "I love you" to each other. I'm kind of like "Yuck, where did that come from?"

Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I still hear and see the term "cold fish" used occasionally. It seems to be mostly used to describe a female rather than a male, from what I notice. Yes, it seems to be used to describe someone who's not very affectionate or not very sexual.

As a woman who tends to be pretty reserved emotionally, and maybe a little aloof, I'm sure the term could be applied to me.

But to me, it speaks more of the person saying it: Why are you so needy that you expect me to be so affectionate, care-taking, or mothering toward you? What makes you think that you're so incredibly sexy that I should be drooling all over you?

If a guy starts hitting on me in a bar, and I politely end the conversation and turn away. I guess he's call me a cold fish, simply because I'm not interested in him.

Most men I know who have complained that their wives are "cold fish" (regarding the bedroom) are usually men who don't recognize that their wives are working all day, then taking care of the kids, preparing the meals, cleaning the house, handling the bills, and all the appointments that need to be made, so may they're just exhausted. Plus, the husband might have "let himself go" a bit. So it can never be that he's less desirable; it must be the woman who is a cold fish.

I don't know about the hypotheses about lack of maternal affection. But it is probably true that huggy-kissy-demonstrative families produce children who grow up to be more huggy-kissy-demonstrative. Families that are less demonstrative, are probably more likely to produce less demonstrative kids. However, my sister and I grew up in the same household, with parents who we knew loved us, but who were never demonstrative about it. I grew up to be more aloof, I tend to not be a hugger, and in relationships, I save "I love you" for special moments, instead of saying it several times a day to where it has no meaning anymore. My sister, on the other hand, grew up to be a hugger with friends, and very, very affectionate with her kids. They are always sitting in her lap, hugging, and they're always saying "I love you" to each other. I'm kind of like "Yuck, where did that come from?"
Your post reminded me of something that I did not mention before. The people that I remember using that phrase did not take any form of criticism kindly at all, but they were very quick to judge others. They were arrogant and egotistical.... to round out the profile.

I tried to rep you, but it said I have to spread it around.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Haha. Well I have heard the term used as you've described but in retrospect I don't think I've really ever used it that I can recall to directly describe a person. I have used the term but not in relation to your described attributes. I've used it as the cold fish or sometimes dead fish 'handshake'. It is term used to describe someone with lifeless handshake as in no grip, no vigor, (lack of tactile expressiveness) just a lumpy piece of lifeless flesh. I repped TracySam for you

Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Haha. Well I have heard the term used as you've described but in retrospect I don't think I've really ever used it that I can recall to directly describe a person. I have used the term but not in relation to your described attributes. I've used it as the cold fish or sometimes dead fish 'handshake'. It is term used to describe someone with lifeless handshake as in no grip, no vigor, (lack of tactile expressiveness) just a lumpy piece of lifeless flesh.
I've heard the term "limp [something or other]" for the weak handshake. Here's what this author calls it...

"Limp Fish"

On the other end of the spectrum from the bone crusher is the limp fish. A limp handshake signals to the other person that you are nervous, uncertain, or uninvolved. A limp handshake can be particularly detrimental to your career. If you are unsure whether your handshake is limp, ask to practice with a few friends until you get your grip right.

Quote:
I repped TracySam for you
Thanks for doing that and for your post!

The Top Ten Worst Kinds of Handshakes

Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
"Cold Fish" met a few and they were usually people who more or less had a heart of stone.
IOW, unpleasant unless it was about them or they had zero empathy or compassion towards others.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:41 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
I'm a bit like that. I'm not very passionate or physically affectionate and don't have a need for a lot of physical contact - in fact I start feeling annoyed and suffocated with too much of it. I'm not 'gushy' verbally either. However that doesn't mean I'm unemotional or don't feel love - I feel very strongly about the people who matter in my life, I just don't have a need for constantly expressing it. I was like that pretty much since birth - I was raised with parents and grandparents who were fairly affectionate but I didn't respond to it; as a baby I almost never cried and didn't care about being held, I was happy enough laying in my crib or playpen, so as a result I wasn't held that much - maybe that had some sort of effect? When I was a bit older I remember feeling uncomfortable with too much hugging and kissing and cuddling, not liking to kiss people back, my grandmother complained that she would hug me as I sat on her lap and I wouldn't even put my arms back around her.
I try to be more physically affectionate with my husband and son but I have to make a conscious effort. DH needs more physical contact than I do, while DS seems to take after me, he'll come up for a hug or kiss but doesn't care for long cuddling sessions.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I've heard it used synonymously with just plain cold. Typically denoting lacking in empathy and not given to open expressions of emotion.

Like anything else behaviorally related, there's an interplay of nature and nurture. Children raised in a non-demonstrative environment may well emulate similarly non-demonstrative behavior, because children learn a great deal through example. But environment also don't necessarily override one's innate personality. If you are a naturally warm, gregarious person, being around cooler, less demonstrative people isn't necessarily going to eradicate that in you.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Has I remember it being used in both sexual and other; its a stand-offish person you can never get to know on a human to human level.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Many times people casting stones, like the cold-fish/emotionless moniker.........do it to pump themselves up.

You cut someone down and it makes you feel superior.

Some people do not show a lot of emotions, they are not really touch-feely.......that does not make them bad or zombie'ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology