Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 02:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Saturday, I was planning to go to the ren faire. I didn't make this one last year and this was going to be my last chance this year. Between things like having to move and dance commitments, I just haven't had the chance.

Well, here I sit at my lap top, two hours into a launch scrub due to the Central Texas weather. If not for the rain up there or not for river bank, potentially, concerns at home, there is always about the trip to and fro.

Now the little voice in my head could say, "Should have gone on Saturday.......," but then I could just as easily be stuck somewhere out there, probably not at one of my rest stops I use for sleep on the way back.

So then the bigger voice clicks in......"It wasn't meant to be.".

Whether or not Fatalism is real (and hence, why it is here in psychology and not philosophy), it still gives us a way to achieve a peace of mind when we don't get what we wanted, not even experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 AM

605 posts, read 491,514 times
two different senses of fatalism. I'm a fatalist, but not in the sense you mention of "it wasn't meant to be". I'm more, "it was never meant to be"--existential pessimism. Not as a way of reassuring myself, as you mention above, but as a way to forever unsettle myself.

I'll drink to that!

Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 AM

605 posts, read 491,514 times
also, it's a logical extension of the second law of thermodynamics, which is the only thing that ensures our ultimate demise in this universe. Whether we achieve serious life span extension, successful Mars colonization, etc--all I personally needed to know/find out/understand/internalize was that the logic is that all life forms must die; indeed, all kinetic energy must "die out" (I'm less certain on the latter, not being a physicist). Physically guaranteed fatalism, right in the 2nd law of thermodynamics. I think the logic of the universe, as I currently understand it, is we must reach a point where no potential energy even exists. I'm certainly open to a solid layman's explanation that would set me straight.

Anyway, whatever the details, I am quite confident to state that fatalism is written into the fabric of the cosmos.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 AM

Well, I'm glad I settled into this mode. An essential bridge between me and faire is closed. A detour to the next route would only add 16 minutes (assuming nothing else is closed) but I'd say that's a pretty good indication from the Gods above to not travel this day.

But.....back when I was an undergrad, was suppose to go home for the weekend, and the roads were closed due to an ice storm, I was climbing the walls!

I guess part of accepting what the Fates say comes with age if only by learning that everything is not absolutely important, that many things are not the end of the world.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I guess part of accepting what the Fates say comes with age if only by learning
that everything is not absolutely important,
that many things are not the end of the world.
The min I read Ren Faire...I thought, Where does she live that it wouldn't be a muddy mess?
Then I saw Texas! Your whole state is a mess...I am so sorry!
In CO I think it is bad, but not like many places....roads washed out,
basements flooded like crazy here.. Mobile homes tilting in the soggy soil, people having to be
evac'd!

Anyway I wanted to say you sound so mentally healthy. Your coping mechanism is A+!

I never am disappointed in any way...really...I know nothing is what it appears to be...and
it was perfect for me to, say, miss that turn or miss that flight or that the person cancelled
at the last minute...whatever.

Yes, with age or insight or experience we learn nothing is that important anyway
and was meant to be.
Hippies called it 'flowing'. I'm sure Lao Tzu would have said it more poetically.
What some call fatalism I call wisdom.

''...merrily, merrily, merrily merrily, life is but a dream..."

Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 AM

Yes, just beginning to realize in the last 90 minutes or so how bad it really is. Worse is that it could have been me seeing how close it was either in location or time. The town that seems washed out is just a stone throw away and the areas that are nearer that did get hit....that's where I was living a few weeks before.

Fate, fate, fate!

Add to it, what I said about alternate routes? The bridge to the alternate route is also closed. If I was determined to go, which I'm not, couldn't have done it.

Touch my horn about the miss but it makes me wonder about such a miss, especially when so many others didn't fare as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology