Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times

Advertisements

This an old article but I think it worth reading again:

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry? - Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
I disagree with the main tenets of the article.

I think people are angry because they feel the stakes are incredibly high (many things are perceived as causing the ruin of society and safety), and because of the subject matter.

In real life, people often avoid discussing politics, religion, and other hot-button issues. Is it really "more" anger, or just, finally, a venue for it?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Commenting in an anonymous forum is a bit safer than shaking your fist (or worse gestures) at someone in dense traffic. In traffic there is always the possibility that the one you seek to detract from may catch up to you and want to see if you can use you fists for more than just making obscene gestures.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

I think people are angry because they feel the stakes are incredibly high
I agree. The author never answers the question why people are angry but dances around the question of why they are willing to express the angry they have on the internet.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I also disagree with article. But those that are I think its a good place to get over what is bothering them. Accumulation of grievances is not good as experts say and often people that tend to do so turn violent.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Agreed. This article doesn't focus on the real question of why people "are angry," just on why they behave as they do on online forums, comment sections, social media, etc. And the answer is low stakes due to limited real personal accountability and/or social fallout. There is no social contract to conduct one's self in a manner that's viewed as appropriate or civil when you're shielded behind relative anonymity much of the time, and directing your words at people you don't have to interact with in person and deal with any of the ramifications of your approach. I do agree with what the article points out, which is that the medium allows/encourages you to just lay out an impassioned monologue of your thoughts uninterrupted, which doesn't happen so much in real life, and it doesn't necessitate your actually hearing others' responses, which is again, hard to make happen in a real-life impassioned conversation.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:31 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
I have to admit that at times on these forums, I have been an "angry poster" and it usually has to do with bullying of any type and that's because I'm passionate about the subject. I'm not very proud of myself when I allow that anger to come across in my posts. Some people on these forums think everything is black and white and there's no room for anything in the middle. I'm the same in person as I am online regarding subjects that are close to my heart. I try to be honest and give a different perspective from my experiences. I've learned not to even read a couple of the forums because I learned quickly that there's just some haters here that love to argue. I do love coming here, but I try to draw the line as to whether or not it's worth posting. I'm non confrontational and always have been, but I think this type of media does make it easier to argue or to be downright mean. I've met some of the nicest people on these forums, but I've also met some bullies.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I have always believed what you put energy into is getting put back into you. The hate you put out on the internet insulting someone is going right back into your own being and filling you with that hate. It makes no difference between real life. And honestly, I believe we'll be seeing alot more hypertension, popped vessels, depression, heart attacks, and deaths from net-related negativity. I have known at least 1 person on this forum that continually attacked me and my beliefs over time and he was such a negative person and ended up dying. Another one I knew was as nasty as can be and she hasn't been seen on this forum in almost 2 years. Moral of the story. Spend time being kind or be miserable to your own detriment. With the millions of rays and lights the computer screen is made up of and all the negative energy you put out, those are lethal combinations for the body and soul.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
In my opinion, people are becoming more hostile. To me, with all that energy we should be able to resolve some of the problems we face as a country. The politiicians don't hear us so many of just angry.

And then, from the article, there is the media...

"Unfortunately, mainstream media have made a fortune teaching people the wrong ways to talk to each other, offering up Jerry Springer, Crossfire, Bill O'Reilly. People understandably conclude rage is the political vernacular, that this is how public ideas are talked about," Wasserman wrote in an article on his university's website. "It isn't."

Old 06-10-2015, 06:56 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

I think people are angry because they feel the stakes are incredibly high (many things are perceived as causing the ruin of society and safety), and because of the subject matter.

In real life, people often avoid discussing politics, religion, and other hot-button issues. Is it really "more" anger, or just, finally, a venue for it?
I didn't get much from the article but I disagree or quasi-agree about the "stakes being so high."

The Internet has given most everyone the entitlement that they and their opinion and so called "facts" are just as important as everyone else. They're not. Mine included. I think it all comes back to entitlement and thus narcissism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In my opinion, people are becoming more hostile. To me, with all that energy we should be able to resolve some of the problems we face as a country. The politiicians don't hear us so many of just angry.

And then, from the article, there is the media...

"Unfortunately, mainstream media have made a fortune teaching people the wrong ways to talk to each other, offering up Jerry Springer, Crossfire, Bill O'Reilly. People understandably conclude rage is the political vernacular, that this is how public ideas are talked about," Wasserman wrote in an article on his university's website. "It isn't."
I definitely agree w the quote above. The narcissism in this country appears to have become an epidemic since the likes of Billy O, etc became so popular.

Sound and furry signifying nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology