Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

My husband died while I was taking him for a ride, in the front yard,just to get out of the house.he just dropped to the ground and he was gone! I called the EMS squad and the worked on him then and there, lying in the yard. I watched while they worked on him and could not believe what was REALLY happening. He died this past February and I have not been able to function yet, I'm not sure I ever will again. We were married 52 years and I was the one that should have gone first. Does anyone else out there feel the same ???how does a person get over this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,842,589 times
I'm sorry for your loss. The phases of grief that you are experiencing are very normal and universal, and very little time has elapsed since then. Grieving and bereavement generally take a while to process through, and no two peoples' experiences with them are identical, but five months is a really short amount of time when grieving a longtime spouse's death. Do you have anyone supportive who can help you through the grief process? Loved ones, peers, a support group, a grief counselor? Any of these things are great resources that can help you progress through what are very normal stages of moving past such a loss.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,347,218 times
Well they say those who go first are the lucky ones. I can certainly understand that.

Being as you are asking about this, that is a good sign, and I think you might be beginning to "put things back together" a bit?

It does take a long time. About all I can say is to be miserable for 6 months or so, then try to go on with your life after that.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,291,331 times
Just this past April, wife of 40 years lost a 3.5 year battle with non-Alzheimer's dementia, a disease I wouldn't wish on any human being. With the help of caregivers 11 hrs. a day, I was able to keep her at home but it still took two of us to tend to her, especially he last 6 months. I don't know how a loving God can allow a truly good person like her to suffer as she did, but He presented me with a mountain I don't think I can climb. I empathize fully with you.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:21 PM

25,446 posts, read 9,901,455 times
Oh Kitty, I am so very sorry! And how terribly traumatic for you! Grief is such a a personal thing. Do you have friends or family that you can talk to about what happened, or perhaps a trusted counselor?

Best wishes to you, dear one.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:39 PM

26,209 posts, read 22,382,868 times
Kitty: My deepest sympathy. We live in KS where a lot of people are seniors and yes, I see this. Have you tried the "Grief and Loss" section, reading through it here at C-D. Do not let this get the best of you. I had a friend where we last lived and he had taken care of his wife for 4 years knowing the end was coming in his case but he became VERY depressed. I knew both he and his daughter, only a little but both were being very open with me.

Here is what I learned: He was thinking of maybe just "ending" it all so everyone was concerned. His daughter was encouraging him to go to counseling because he wasn't comfortable discussing whatever it was that he apparently needed to discuss. He did realize that people cared about him and I am sure they care about you too Kitty and are really concerned. A lot of people don't know what to say so say nothing.

Well, one day when I saw him out on his walk, he told me that he just came back from seeing a counselor at the mental health clinic in town ( most towns have them and they often have a sliding scale fee based on ability to pay). He said that he went in and asked her "What do you want to know?" and she said "Just talk." He said that he just started talking and now felt so much better. He saw her a couple of more times, just talking and it really did help. I think he didn't want to burden anyone else although none of us would have felt burdened. He was a nice man and terribly lost without his wife at his side.

So, that might be something you could consider and their are groups online and in person groups. And, your husband lives on in your memories and in your heart and I am sure he would want you to not suffer the way you are.

Don't let this get the best of you. I know this is hard because I have known many people who lost their spouse, some older and some younger. Again, my deepest sympathy.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,363,227 times
Anywhere else has a good idea. Also, there might be a grief group in your town. Sometimes hospitals give them meeting space. Google grief group or grief counseling and the name of your town to find one.

You've also been reminded that your DH's death could have been so much worse than it was. And, hard as it was for you, it could have been much worse.

I do not want to minimize your heartbreak, and sense of loss. But thinking about this in a new way might help.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:40 PM

335 posts, read 331,618 times
My wife of 30 years died in my arms after an extended illness. One night, a few months prior to her passing, sustains me like no other in my grief. We were curled up together in our bed and she said quietly into my chest, "I wish I could curl up inside you forever." She's done just that. Everywhere I go, everything I do is with her. This has filled my life with thoughtfulness about my every intention and action. This thoughtfulness has expanded my heart and my consciousness. I am strangely happy in spite of missing her externally.

Best wishes to you.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,842,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
My wife of 30 years died in my arms after an extended illness. One night, a few months prior to her passing, sustains me like no other in my grief. We were curled up together in our bed and she said quietly into my chest, "I wish I could curl up inside you forever." She's done just that. Everywhere I go, everything I do is with her. This has filled my life with thoughtfulness about my every intention and action. This thoughtfulness has expanded my heart and my consciousness. I am strangely happy in spite of missing her externally.

Best wishes to you.
This is beautiful.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,057,176 times
Consider yourself Lucky to have HAD a mate for so many years.

Most people cannot make that Claim!

Remember what he stood for...and why you loved him...and the good things that you had together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology