Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times

Advertisements

Last crewman of U.S. plane that dropped A-bomb on Hiroshima dies at 93

While I do not minimize Robin Williams death by suicide, many times we morn people who are entertainers when real life hero's die in anonymity.
Such is apparently the case with Mr. Van Kirk who flew 25 or so missions during WWII

'Dutch' Van Kirk, navigator of Enola Gay, dies - CNN.com

So here is a guy who served his country in a fight between good and evil, and was part of a mission that helped bring WWII to an end, thereby saving many American and allied lives. By all accounts he lived a productive life (i.e. taxpayer) without drug/alcohol addiction, skirmishes with the law, etc., but few seem to know or care.

It will be interesting to see how many pages of posts he receives compared to Williams suicide thread, now over 20. Any bets on this one even reaching double digits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Our WWII veterans are thinning out quickly these days, nearly 70 years after their service.

They didn't fight for fame or recognition. They don't seek notoriety.

But America knows how much we owe to them.

My own father was terribly wounded in the battle of the bulge. He's now 90 and still going strong, but his future is limited.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Thanks for posting this.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Last crewman of U.S. plane that dropped A-bomb on Hiroshima dies at 93

While I do not minimize Robin Williams death by suicide, many times we morn people who are entertainers when real life hero's die in anonymity.
Such is apparently the case with Mr. Van Kirk who flew 25 or so missions during WWII

'Dutch' Van Kirk, navigator of Enola Gay, dies - CNN.com

So here is a guy who served his country in a fight between good and evil, and was part of a mission that helped bring WWII to an end, thereby saving many American and allied lives. By all accounts he lived a productive life (i.e. taxpayer) without drug/alcohol addiction, skirmishes with the law, etc., but few seem to know or care.

It will be interesting to see how many pages of posts he receives compared to Williams suicide thread, now over 20. Any bets on this one even reaching double digits?
Great man, but in comparing him with Robin Williams is in poor taste, and context. I'll bet being on the Enola Gays nuclear run got him a lot of free drinks! RIP Mr Van Kirk.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Thanks for posting this.
Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Great man, but in comparing him with Robin Williams is in poor taste, and context. I'll bet being on the Enola Gays nuclear run got him a lot of free drinks! RIP Mr Van Kirk.
I may have tried to make my point in a different manner, and frankly it has little to do with Williams. Rather it is more how our society seems to glorify entertainers, and make them out to be hero's. In the mean time real hero's who have contributed much more than entertainment to our society pass on in anonymity, without anyone but their immediate family to mourn them.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

...our society seems to glorify entertainers, and make them out to be hero's. In the mean time real hero's who have contributed much more than entertainment to our society pass on in anonymity, without anyone but their immediate family to mourn them.
'Twas ever thus. Not really a "modern" thing and I don't begrudge people mourning an entertainer who by all accounts was a good man, and who incidentally entertained our troops overseas with the USO. I don't think remembering and mourning Robin Williams is the same as "glorifying" or "making him out to be a hero".

My father was a mechanic with a B-29 crew who served with the 20th AF in India, China, and Tinian. He didn't drop the A-bomb on Japan or make any movies but he did his duty to his country. He passed away in December 2012.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I hope he rests in peace and that his family finds comfort in happy memories and knowing that he lived a long and full life.

I don't feel there was any need for comparisons on who's death is more "important".

Every life leaves its impression on the world - somehow, someway. One loss is no more or less than another.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Or maybe he didn't mention it, given how some people viewed that crew.............but he probably did.

Got a question though. With current affairs in mind, how does one remember Norman Fell, Walter Matthau, and Don Adams? Answer simply, let's not take too much away from Major Van Kirk.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
What's wrong with mourning an entertainer more than a soldier? Everyone has their own opinions, personal and political.... and it shouldn't be hard to understand why some folks feel more comfortable celebrating the life's work of a comedian over that of a warrior.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What's wrong with mourning an entertainer more than a soldier? Everyone has their own opinions, personal and political.... and it shouldn't be hard to understand why some folks feel more comfortable celebrating the life's work of a comedian over that of a warrior.
I by no means have the right to say who should be mourned more than someone else. Yet it seems to be media driven more than anything else. For instance several posters mentioned other entertainers who get little press even though they were just as popular in their day. Lauran Bacall for instance, but the younger generation has little knowledge of her. Yet if Kim Kardashian(sp?) were to drop dead or kill herself, the mourning would be worthy of pushing the button and starting over.

Personally, I found Williams funny at times, but the recent death of Harold Ramis was just as sad, and I found him to be much more humorous. He also didn't take his own life, which personally I find despicable.
Still neither of them contributed to society as much as many people who die every day in anonymity.
That is why I felt compelled to start this thread, so that at least a few more people would be aware of Mr. Van Kirk's passing and contribution to our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events