Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I get probably 1/10th of the enjoyment I get from my cat that I get from my dog. I don't dislike my cat, but she isn't really enjoyable in the same way as my dog. My dog is awesome, we take her out on walks, we take her hiking, etc. The cat, who is actually sociable for a cat, mostly ghosts through the house and sleeps all day. Every once in a great while she wants to cuddle or something, but she is mostly...just a cat: aloof, independent, and quiet.
Well, I'm not big on the great outdoors so maybe the comparison won't work for everyone. A cat can provide lots of enjoyment, but it is more work to get them to do the "dog things" like taking walks, and if you have another animal to fill the niche, the cat will probably not see the need to get involved. They're rather shy creatures, especially when other more social animals are involved.

Last edited by krmb; 08-10-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
LEOPARD sneaks into house and attacks a pet dog - YouTube
Video for dog gets dragged by cheetah in india▶ 1:05

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Z-rE7F_aU

Well, that is unfortunate, but the dog owner now knows how the cat owners who have kitties escape and get trapped and / or killed by feral dogs feel. Bear in mind, though, that leopards, cheetahs, lions, etc. are wild and have NEVER been widely domesticated by human beings. Who is to say a giant tabby would behave like a leopard? It might look similar, but dogs aren't expected to behave like wolves just because they are of similar size. Maybe there's a way to breed supersized kitty that's all hundred-pound housecat and still only has mice on the menu? Think about it. Some cats in the wild take down prey close to their size. Most housecats don't go around trying to kill rabbits, or even large rats, though.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:58 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
It just comes down to personal preference. I love dogs and detest cats. It's nice that some people like cats. I don't understand why anyone goes around whining about others liking what they do not. Maybe just a bit too self involved....

Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It just comes down to personal preference. I love dogs and detest cats. It's nice that some people like cats. I don't understand why anyone goes around whining about others liking what they do not. Maybe just a bit too self involved....
Well, I personally think it comes down to temperament and personality. I personally love cats and don't care much for dogs (except maybe for the necessary roles they play that can't be filled by other animals and the occasional puppy cuddle.) I almost feel like America worships dogs in a way, though. They can do no wrong, even though they really can do serious damage. Why not just look at it for what it is and acknowledge that, like the dog lover feels he or she has the right to detest cats, the cat lover has a right to hate dogs if he or she wants? Why is that so bad?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, that is unfortunate, but the dog owner now knows how the cat owners who have kitties escape and get trapped and / or killed by feral dogs feel. Bear in mind, though, that leopards, cheetahs, lions, etc. are wild and have NEVER been widely domesticated by human beings. Who is to say a giant tabby would behave like a leopard? It might look similar, but dogs aren't expected to behave like wolves just because they are of similar size. Maybe there's a way to breed supersized kitty that's all hundred-pound housecat and still only has mice on the menu? Think about it. Some cats in the wild take down prey close to their size. Most housecats don't go around trying to kill rabbits, or even large rats, though.

I agree,and i can't believe in the age of Google people think cats are more deadly.

Dog attack fatalities

42 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2014.
From 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 38, about one citizen every 96 days.
Source:2014 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Cats? I did not find any,maybe because cats do not have powerful jaws that can kill a small child.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Well, I personally think it comes down to temperament and personality. I personally love cats and don't care much for dogs (except maybe for the necessary roles they play that can't be filled by other animals and the occasional puppy cuddle.) I almost feel like America worships dogs in a way, though. They can do no wrong, even though they really can do serious damage. Why not just look at it for what it is and acknowledge that, like the dog lover feels he or she has the right to detest cats, the cat lover has a right to hate dogs if he or she wants? Why is that so bad?
That's pretty much what I said. If you like/hate dogs or cats, I get it but don't much care. I don't get people who feel the need to start a thread to express their feelings. And not just on this subject, but many, many others.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:53 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
I love cats and dogs (and other animals), as does hubby. We get just as much enjoyment from interacting with the cats as we do interacting with our dog. Personally, I believe you get out of them what you put into them. If you ignore them or mistreat them, of course they are not going to bond with you.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Yeah, housecats pretend to be psycho killers, but so do little dogs. If Chihuahuas and Terriers grew to be the size of Dobermans we would probably have plenty more reports of vicious dog attacks on humans. Plus, cats and some breeds of small dog, like Terriers, are born mousers, so they are multi-purpose pets, really.

Also, isn't it great how cats do require so little effort and attention yet can almost give you anything you could get out of a high maintenance pet? It's the best of both worlds! Cats can provide the enjoyment and companionship without all of the training, exercise, and work that comes with owning a dog. I will disagree, though, a responsible cat owner would not go days without remembering the cat, nor would the owner allow the cats to run "wild" outside where they can get hurt. Cats are best when you do invest a little effort, but that effort is a worthwhile investment and pays off far better than the training and time that has to be invested in dog ownership.
^^^LOL and you talk about me or others having bias^^^ You have not written an objective post on this topic. You characterize cats as shy, "pretending" to be psycho killers, intelligent, yada yada spinning all criticism as though a positive, and then represent dogs in a negative light whenever you can.

"Why bother" is right... you are stuck on an opinion about dogs being high maintenance vs cats but then readily admit you need to clean up after and take care of cats just the same "investing time and effort" as stated in your reply above. Somehow that "investment" is more worthwhile than that put into training a dog? - a ridiculous assertion! I am "bothering" as I stated earlier, because it's nice to have the truth published along side the bias I see you replying with throughout this thread. It's like you are on a mission to bad-mouth dogs and dog owners vs actually disseminating helpful information!

Will a cat guard you, your home home or deter trespassers, would-be thieves, or other people who want to trample upon your rights in some way shape or form? No. Will a cat ever do tasks such as carry loads, or pull sleds, guide the blind or otherwise help the handicapped? No. Will a cat sniff out bombs or drugs, or other things and notify its handler? No. Most importantly though for the majority of pet owners, try this one: Will a cat cuddle or comfort you in times when you want a companion to do so? Maybe/Sometimes only. I have had many dogs and each could detect/empathize with people in need and would come over and cuddle (or guard closely). My cats and other people's cats I've seen... no.

I just have one question KMB501 - have you ever owned a dog? If not, then your opinion isn't very valuable to me or others on this topic and stereotypically fits what I've seen with several outspoken "cat lovers" I've met... they have made a ton of assumptions and have very little to zero real-world experience backing up their negative opinions of dogs (I swear the most experienced are those who have been to people's homes with dogs and got annoyed at the invasion of their personal space by their friend's pet). As I've stated, I've owned both cats (yes, more than one) and dogs over several decades... I do know how to take care of them both, I also know how to train them, and have for years each.

My experience with cats isn't based upon assumptions or observations at other people's homes or on TV. You call Dogs retarded Wolves in another post which reveals your complete lack of real-world understanding of wolf behavior vs dog behavior! Do some research please... it's like you heard someone use that phrase before and just felt like it was potentially witty so you've repeated it. On the surface it may seem applicable, but it isn't, just read up on it or stop using this phrase which just makes its users sound ignorant of animal behavior.

There's a reason why Dogs were domesticated and are universally heralded as "man's best friend"... they make for awesome pets. I'm not saying and haven't stated anywhere that Cats suck as pets... but where your posts are belittling Dogs and Dog-owners while holding up Cats and Cat-owners on a pedestal, I think a little reality needs to be injected into the conversation. They both have their merits, the both have their drawbacks, and both require work. To say that Cats require a lot less work than Dogs is a joke... it was the argument I heard when I was first contemplating obtaining my first cats, and I found it completely false. Both need to be fed, both need to have their nails taken care of, both need to be kept clean/free of fleas, both need vaccinations and check-ups, both need routines regarding taking care of them having to go pee or defecate, both get into trouble/break things and/or can make things dirty, both need to be taken care of if you leave for extended lengths of time, both need companionship/love or they will develop negative psychological side effects

Lastly, your assumptions on training dogs is outright wrong by the way... you stated in another post something to the effect that the reason Cats don't react well to Dog training methods is because Cats don't react well to punishment... well proper Dog training involves only positive reinforcement and that is all I've ever had to use (and that is the only type of training promoted by any reputable trainer today).

Last edited by belovenow; 08-10-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
This is why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

Dogs are man's best friend and have helped humans survive and thrive for a long time. The undying love and bond a dog feels for his owners is almost unmatched in the world. Dogs will never let you down and would take a bullet for you (if they could grasp that concept). ….....
The idea that dogs love humans is an illusion – it is a human conceit –it is human vanity. The evolutionary line that led to humans separated from the line that led to wolves and then dogs more than 100 million years ago. To think that after evolving separately for all of this time dogs would end up loving humans and no other animals other than their own kind is preposterous.

Domestic dogs are a product of human selection, not natural selection. Dogs that give the appearance of loving humans have prospered and multiplied. Gullible people picking out dogs at animal shelters is an example of this selection. Dogs with sappy “I love you” expressions and behaviors are taken home. The ones with appearances that humans don’t like are left behind to be killed and burned by the tens of millions.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a cat person. I love my kitty, he greets me when I come home and shows affection. That being said I will say I disagree with you. We "cat people" don't hate dogs or have it out for them. I love dogs but they are more work, and they cannot be left alone long (since they don't use litter boxes). Cats are easier pets to own. I think both bring lots of enjoyment in different ways. Dogs just require more work that is all.
I HAVE two cats. Both rescues. I have never really seen a true cat person open their home to a dog.

I agree that both species provide enjoyment, love and humor into the lives of people who open their homes to them.

However, I know "cat people" who only like cats - and do not care about any other type of animals. Almost seem to have a disdain for them.

I don't think cats are easier to own. Cats use litter boxes. Dogs go outside. Dogs don't scratch furniture - cats do. You can teach dogs not to do something - with cats - good look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology